Talk

Advanced search

to agonise over this decision?

(10 Posts)
prettybutclumpy Mon 24-Feb-14 17:19:44

I'm torn - some other views would help.

We have sold our large detached house in the burbs and plan to move towards the centre of town for a lifestyle involving more walking and cycling (forever in the car here) and better schools.

Choice is between large flat; own front and back door, small garden, Victorian original features (which we both love), almost enough space for us, lovely street, open views at front, but with tiny kitchen, very little storage, busy-ish road, potential noise/dust/lorries from large scale development at the end of the road and three immediate neighbours

and...

waiting to see if something comes up on a quieter street with more storage before the summer, perhaps with only one or two immediate neighbours

DC are 10 and 8 and we're in Edinburgh.

Thoughts?

prettybutclumpy Mon 24-Feb-14 17:35:43

Anyone? We need to decide what to do tonight!!

phantomnamechanger Mon 24-Feb-14 17:43:25

toss a coin? grin

choosing between what IS available now and what MIGHT be available later is never going to be easy and no one but you can decide what YOUR priorities and preferences are.

but bigger kitchen and more storage would be my own preference, it sounds like the flat is only just big enough for you, wait till the kids grow a bit more!

Pipbin Mon 24-Feb-14 17:43:31

I would wait.
You say you almost fit. What will happen when your dc are 18 and 16?
I think you are being taken by the period features and hoping the practicalities go away.
Do you have a buyer for your house? Can you go into rented while you look?

whois Mon 24-Feb-14 17:47:12

House sounds nice but not sure about the 'almost fits' comment. It's a very personal thing as to how much space you need.

phantomnamechanger Mon 24-Feb-14 17:47:53

I agree that renting can be a useful tactic actually, we did that albeit preDC, and it would be hard to move twice but plenty of people manage it! if you sold yours and could rent for 6months, you would then be in a great position when the house of your dreams comes up.

Thymeout Mon 24-Feb-14 17:48:46

No - you are really going to notice the lack of space after living in a four bed detached. 'Almost enough' doesn't really hack it.

phantomnamechanger Wed 26-Feb-14 19:19:46

Did you decide, OP?

KittensoftPuppydog Wed 26-Feb-14 19:36:30

Don't get a flat. Get a house.

WeAreEternal Wed 26-Feb-14 19:44:19

I would wait.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now