Talk

Advanced search

To feel a bit weird about my local radios new competition?

(8 Posts)
KiwiBanana Mon 24-Feb-14 10:05:50

It just seems a bit strange and mean. It's called punching above your weight and it's looking for couples that don't match in terms of attractiveness. So basically the ugliest person with the prettiest partner will win confused

AIBU to think this is a horrible competition?

LovelyMarchHare Mon 24-Feb-14 10:15:01

Its in poor taste I guess but the answer is always to turn off (to R4 .....) At least it isn't just less attractive men with more beautiful women. I assume the other way around is also eligible to enter. Sounds like a load of rubbish but people clearly engage in such dross.

Birdsgottafly Mon 24-Feb-14 10:17:13

People have the choice to enter, so leave it to those that want to take part, to decide, unless you think you can dictate to others.

It's a laugh.

I always think that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", Phil Mitchell (East Enders) is my type.

I'm not into pretty boys, or men under 14 stone, but my partners do all have a Gorilla look about them, which is a running joke. So I "get" this competition, tbh.

JohnFarleysRuskin Mon 24-Feb-14 10:19:02

Its shit.

bodybooboo Mon 24-Feb-14 10:20:55

gosh nasty.

Radio 4 is so far up itself now and so London centric it got tedious.

radio 5 live is fantastic. no music or ads either. perfect.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Mon 24-Feb-14 10:20:58

I assume they are judging external beauty? It seems a bit pointless to me as some of the most beautiful people I know are not actually that physically attractive.

And some of the most physically attractive people I have met have been complete cunts.

So it could actually be the gorgeous looking bloke who is "punching above his weight" with his wonderful, intelligent, kind - but not stereotypically pretty - girlfriend.

I see what they are trying to do - but it's not been thought through properly.

Hotmad Mon 24-Feb-14 10:21:17

Sounds like something channel 5 would do

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Mon 24-Feb-14 10:23:49

It also reminds me of when Jeremy Kyle did the "Two Strangers & A Wedding" thing on our local radio station. And ended up marrying the "bride" himself.

Maybe the DJ is looking for a partner "above his weight" himself wink.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now