Talk

Advanced search

aibu to think this was a stupid thing for my mother to say?

(6 Posts)
sallymanda Mon 24-Feb-14 09:09:52

My sister came round to my mother's house last night. I happened to be there with my mother (my father is away). She was in tears as -yet again- her arse of a dh had upset her. This time he's been on dating sites.

We listened as she poured her heart out. My mother sat there and said-and I quote- 'but I like (sister's husband's name).

I don't quite know why but this really annoyed me. She's always been self-obsessed but I didn't realise she'd take it this far; I mean so what if she likes him?

I'm probably just venting but aibu to think this was a daft thing to say?

bodybooboo Mon 24-Feb-14 09:12:17

I rh

CloverHeart Mon 24-Feb-14 09:12:47

Not at all. Your Mum didn't think before she spoke in this instance.

She may like him but that doesn't change the fact that he is treating your poor sister like a complete mug.

thanks for your sister.

bodybooboo Mon 24-Feb-14 09:14:05

I think you shouldn't really concentrate in what your mother said and advise your sister to sort out her knob of a dh.

perhaps your mum was shocked/guilty for letting her dd marry such a twat but that's not really the issue here is it?

Joysmum Mon 24-Feb-14 09:32:42

Maybe she said as she was upset that somebody she liked is capable of treating her DD so badly and she's now doubting herself and the world. I know if I badly misjudge somebody it make me doubt myself as well as hurting because she didn't protect her DD from the creep.

t3rr3gl35 Mon 24-Feb-14 09:56:55

People sometimes say the most stupid things when they don't know what the right thing to say is but feel they need to say something.

It sounds like the sort of thing my mum would have said - I would have put it down to an internal thought process being spoken out loud, ie. "I really like him" is expressed but the thought is carrying on "I wouldn't have thought he would be like that" although that isn't verbalised, IYSWIM.

Sometimes there isn't a right thing to say. As long as you are confident that your mum has your sister's best interests at heart, then does it really matter if she is verbally clumsy?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now