Talk

Advanced search

To not care how important your job is, if your child has impetigo

(156 Posts)
Normalisavariantofcrazy Mon 24-Feb-14 08:46:53

You keep them off school! More so if the sores are still active!

Got a bit of morning run rage going on at the moment

WooWooOwl Mon 24-Feb-14 08:47:52

YANBU. Some people are just selfish.

WeekendsAreHappyDays Mon 24-Feb-14 08:52:52

Well i wouldnt do it but for sone people its not about them thinking job important - more that in the current day and age they may actually lose their job

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Mon 24-Feb-14 10:03:04

didn't think employers were allowed to sack you if you have to take time off for childrens illnesses.

DustyBaubles Mon 24-Feb-14 10:18:22

I know exactly what my employers would say if I took time off because my child was ill, and it wouldn't be anything sympathetic.

If I took time off because the children had something like impetigo, I'd hardly ever be at work at all. And whatever the law says (though I'm pretty sure you can only take enough time off to allow you to put childcare in place) they would definitely take issue with my attendance stats. Probably ending in dismissal over time.

I'd love to know who all of these accommodating employers are, I've never worked for one.

ilovepowerhoop Mon 24-Feb-14 10:34:01

www.hpa.org.uk/webc/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1194947358374 - says you shouldnt return them to school Until lesions are crusted and healed, or 48 hours after commencing antibiotic treatment

Were the sores being treated at all?

Normalisavariantofcrazy Mon 24-Feb-14 10:35:25

Not that they said. They muttered about getting the child seen after school and the sores looked nasty not crusty

BobFlemming Mon 24-Feb-14 10:36:52

Dusty on that basis would you send your children in with any other infectious diseases? Chicken Pox? Impetigo is HORRIBLE.

MrsSteptoe Mon 24-Feb-14 10:37:45

What employers are and are not allowed to do doesn't seem to be particularly relevant if you work through an outsourcing agency. All they have to do is say your contract's been terminated because you're not required at that particular site any more. Tens (rather than hundreds) of employees who work under the same conditions I do have tried taking our agencies to court. Useless.

WooWooOwl Mon 24-Feb-14 10:40:47

I think schools should be given more support here, they should be able to refuse to allow children into the classroom without having to worry about parents complaining when the selfish ones think their job is more important than preventing the spread of infectious diseases.

DrewsWife Mon 24-Feb-14 10:47:04

Parents like that place others at major risk. My kid has arthritis. When she was at school people who sent their kid in with illnesses meant mine had to be sent home. Her medication meant that her immune system was low and idiots like that placed her in hospital more than once.

You are not unreasonable

Normalisavariantofcrazy Mon 24-Feb-14 10:47:11

I agree woo same with nits too IMO

WeekendsAreHappyDays Mon 24-Feb-14 12:02:16

Yoy dont keep children off school with nits thats madness

One year mine would never have been in

Grennie Mon 24-Feb-14 12:05:05

YABU. Lots of people would be at risk of losing their job.

TheDetective Mon 24-Feb-14 12:07:25

So has it actually been diagnosed?

Or are you just stabbing a guess on this?

The child hasn't been to the GP so who has made a diagnosis?

5madthings Mon 24-Feb-14 12:12:11

Yanbu kids should not be at school if they have impetigo unless they have had r8hrs woryh of antibiotics.

I was furious when I went to a toddler group and a mum came with her little one and older school age child as they couldnt go to school as they had imetigo...so why the fuck have you brought them to a baby and toddler groyp.

I have to at my kids at home today due to a v&d bug, they have been ill a week, its irritating and I am lucky thst I dont work but if I did it would mean me or dp having time off. I often help out friends who have poorly kids so theycan go to work, depening on qhat they are ill withetc.

But it isunreasonable to send kids to school when medical advice is not to.

ivykaty44 Mon 24-Feb-14 12:14:52

gosh if I had had to keep dd1 of school when she got impetigo she would have had weeks off at a time. dd1 can't have penicillin and has to rely on alternative antibiotics which meant it can take two weeks or more for it to clear up

I am sure the school would be writing to the parent/gaurdian if the dc missed to much school.

I wouldn't have been able to find child care for two weeks at a time to stay away from work - I am allowed three days to find alternative cover when my dd are ill this is unpaid.

If I don't work I don't get paid and I am the only wage earner in the household

chicken pox is being spread before the spots come out and it is clear it is chicken pox so it will have been spread before visible

tell your own dc to keep their hands clean and not put their hands to their mouths or faces during the day

ReadyToPopAndFresh Mon 24-Feb-14 12:16:35

Thedetetective, how about you keep a child off school if they have suddenly come down with weeping sores? Regardless of a diagnosis. confused Seriously

ReadyToPopAndFresh Mon 24-Feb-14 12:17:40

That's horrible 5mad did anyone say anything? angry

meditrina Mon 24-Feb-14 12:19:32

One of mine had impetigo recently, but was allowed in school once ABs started and with the area completely covered. That was secondary though, and he had to sit out PE to avoid contact. AFAIK he didn't pass it on to anyone there, and definitely not to any of us either.

5madthings Mon 24-Feb-14 12:21:54

Yes I did! And she just got all flustered and made out it didnt matter. I and another mum then left as it was obvious she wasnt going to.

Ds1 had imoetigo that took several courses of antibiotics to shift, it was a pita as he couldnt go go nursery and I had to miss uni.

But its 48hrs until the antibiotics are in their system and it is what you are supposed to do!

Fgs what about children with weakened immune systems as posters above have, cant believe peoples attitudes towards this kind if thing.

My mum is a nurse and it pisses her off as well.

Rummikub Mon 24-Feb-14 12:22:31

From that link why do you have to keep a child off with impetigo but not a cold sore.

Or slapped cheek/5th disease, which is dangerous for pregnant women. Doesn't make sense.

Schools though do need to be mindful, they are obsessed with attendance and insist children come in even when ill.

Nocomet Mon 24-Feb-14 12:22:39

Unfortunately many people have no choice, but to make the decision that keeps a roof over their families heads and food on table.

Save your anger for Ofsted and schools ridiculous pressure on attendance that means that DCs who do have SAHPs, parents with flexible jobs or family they could stay with when ill are in school.

I'm a SAHM, but because of time off for a sports injury, DD2 will now have to be at deaths door before I let her have the day off. She's had one rude letter already!

5madthings Mon 24-Feb-14 12:22:40

med with ds1 it was 48hrs of antibiotics and to keep it covered yes.

5madthings Mon 24-Feb-14 12:23:56

nocom I have had a snotty letter re attendance for ds2, still keep him off when nevessary, not much school or ofsted can do about it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now