Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be annoyed at neighbours' noise?

(44 Posts)
CrohnicallyFarting Mon 24-Feb-14 07:23:50

We live in a terrace. On one side is a single guy, we very rarely hear anything from his side.

On the other side we have fairly new neighbours, a slightly older couple, but I think they have small children staying occasionally (maybe grandchildren or nieces/nephews). On that side, their stairs back onto ours.

This morning our toddler was awoken (not that early, about 15 minutes ago, but still too early as she normally sleeps in till 8 or 9) by what sounded like someone running up and down the stairs repeatedly. I should point out that DD's room is not against the adjoining wall. Prior to the stairs I heard something that sounded like DD shouting, but when I checked the monitor it wasn't her. So it must have been noise from next door (but loud enough to make me think it was coming from our house).

It's not the first time she's been woken by noises from over there, last time it happened she was napping and it was the middle of the day. Bear in mind we make all sorts of noise while she's asleep, we don't tiptoe around, but this was a door slamming or similar so very sudden and made us jump too.

I know it's not their fault the soundproofing isn't great. But the previous neighbours had absolutely no idea when our toddler was born (they knew I was pregnant so would have been expecting it) as they couldn't hear her through the walls.

I don't expect them to be especially quiet all day just in case she's napping. But should I speak to them and make them aware just how much noise carries in the properties? And how certain noises carry more than others? (Perhaps I could go and apologise in case DD has been disturbing them, she's teething and well, you know how noise carries in these terraces, hint hint)

RedHelenB Mon 24-Feb-14 07:26:14

On a work day get up time can be anything from 6am onwards so i think YABU.

MyCatLovesMeSometimes Mon 24-Feb-14 07:31:06

YABU it's a terrace and a work day so you've got to expect noise. Is this a reverse AIBU?

LaurieFairyCake Mon 24-Feb-14 07:33:55

Yabu

We've been up getting ready for work since 6. Normal household noise since then.

whomadeyougod Mon 24-Feb-14 07:35:13

at least it isnt music blaring and dogs barking think your self lucky.

feetlikeahobbit Mon 24-Feb-14 07:36:26

YABU I'm sure if they you can her them you can be pretty sure they've heard you but are too polite to moan about it.

CrohnicallyFarting Mon 24-Feb-14 07:37:38

Nope, not a reverse.

Would it make a difference if it wasn't a work day? Perhaps my 'reasonableness' meter is a little off kilter because DH works late- getting in at midnight at the earliest- so if he is woken at 6:30-6:45 am then obviously he won't have had nearly enough sleep.

Besides, I wouldn't be as bothered if it was regular 'getting ready' noises, but running up and down the stairs repeatedly (like 3 or 4 times)? Why would you be doing that (or letting children do that)?

Booboostoo Mon 24-Feb-14 07:39:08

7am is not that early on a weekday.

It does seem that your main problem is soundproofing if a young child going up and down the stairs can wake up a toddler in a non-adjoining room.

How come your previous neighbours never heard your baby/toddler when soundproofing is so bad?

LaurieFairyCake Mon 24-Feb-14 07:40:53

Maybe they're exercising by running up and down stairs?

Again, that's a normal household noise - particularly at the just before going to work exercise time.

CrohnicallyFarting Mon 24-Feb-14 07:43:32

Oh, this wasn't just going up and down the stairs- we can hear that too- this was definitely running (footsteps much louder and quicker, and went on for longer leading me to think they did it 3 or 4 times in a row).

I think the issue is how different noises carry. As the stairs back on to our house, we can hear stair related noise much more clearly than other things like voices (as they are usually muffled by the stairs). We are aware of that and tread very lightly when going up and down, plus we remove shoes in our house. So maybe they don't hear us on the stairs so they think we can't hear them.

PooroldJumbo Mon 24-Feb-14 07:45:45

You really can't complain about your neighbours using their own stairs.

DustyBaubles Mon 24-Feb-14 07:48:34

But you can't expect people to creep around their own houses for fear of the neighbours hearing them. You cannot live in silence.

I guarantee that your toddler will be producing their fair share of noise any day now, and following them around going 'ssshhh, quiet, don't run!' will only make everyone miserable.

What you are describing is normal household noise. If you complain, you will be quickly put in your place by the neighbours, environmental health, and anyone else you choose to complain to.

Suck it up, or move to a detached property.

MoreSkyThanWeNeed Mon 24-Feb-14 07:50:16

Maybe it's a creepy child ghost?

<helpful>

Moreisnnogedag Mon 24-Feb-14 07:51:35

Yeah I wouldn't go round tbh. I live in a terrace and it's just part and parcel of life. He probably was getting ready for work/going out, was running late and ran up and down grabbing things.

When your previous neighbours mentioned being unaware your baby had been born, was through gritted teeth and said in a slightly sarcastic manner?

formerbabe Mon 24-Feb-14 07:54:30

Yabu. The noises you describe are not unusual or unreasonable nor at unreasonable times. Loud music at 4am is to be complained about...using stairs at 7am is not!

Impatientismymiddlename Mon 24-Feb-14 07:55:15

YABVU.

ll31 Mon 24-Feb-14 07:56:47

Yabvu, and in danger of sounding as if the worle should stop to let your child... And dh sleep. .

Normal noise,you'll look bizarre if u complain imo. How would they resolve it, not go upstairs??

Pipbin Mon 24-Feb-14 07:57:27

Sounds like normal life to me. You can't really complain about it. You also say this isn't their child, so this isn't an every day occurrence.
I've been in and down my stairs about 4 times this morning. Nothing odd in that.

Sorry but YABU

TantrumsAndBalloons Mon 24-Feb-14 07:57:50

I run up my stairs this morning, ran back down and then had to run back up again because I was late and I had left my bank card upstairs.
My neighbour put her washing on and did the Hoovering.
This was at 7am. It's just normal, getting ready for work and school noise, I don't even notice it really, if you live in a terrace house, you have to expect noise.

Noyoucantwatchpeppapig Mon 24-Feb-14 07:59:16

7am on a weekday is entirely acceptable. My neighbours always claim they cannot hear my toddler DD but her tantrums are loud so I'm convinced they are just being polite especially as we can hear them talking occasionally.

Funnyfoot Mon 24-Feb-14 08:05:16

Sorry YABU.
You will soon realise when your DD is older how much noise she can and will make. Also children do not differentiate between workdays and weekends.
Tbh it sounds like normal house/morning noise to me. Good job you don't live next door to me you'd be calling EH what with the 4 kids getting ready for school and the shouts of
"HE TOOK MY SOCKS"
"MUM WHERE'S MY BOOK BAG"
"I HAVE NO P.E. KIT"
"I DON'T WANT PORRIDGE"
"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRUSH YOUR TEETH THE LOT OF YOU"

Southeastdweller Mon 24-Feb-14 08:16:45

What they're doing at 7am on any day is fine so YABU. I'd invest in some soundproofing in your home if you can afford it as you're clearly noise sensitive. Don't even think of going round there.

I do sympathise a little - I had years of dogs barking and abuse from my old NDN's but your neighbours doing nothing wrong. But you need to find a way to deal with this otherwise it'll drive you nuts.

ComposHat Mon 24-Feb-14 08:46:58

chronically has it occurred to you that if you can hear them going upstairs at 6am, then they can hear your husband coming in, goimg upstairs, making a cup of tea etc. All of which is fine it is is an inevitable part of sharing a wall, but it is just as likely to be disturbing them at what most people would consider an antisocial hour.

Pimpf Mon 24-Feb-14 08:54:43

Afraid that terraced houses for you

Purplepoodle Mon 24-Feb-14 09:46:41

It's just like that in a terrace. I have 3 dc running about from 6.30am. I asked them to walk, quietly and not run (lasts for about a minute). They sound like a herd of elephants going to the toilet or my eldest running up and down stairs looking for his coat/bag/school book ect. Luckily I have fab neighbours who are wonderfully understanding. My kids are in bed from 7.30 so at least the evenings are quiet.

Yabu.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now