Talk

Advanced search

To by DD boys toys?

(27 Posts)
TwittyMcTwitterson Sun 23-Feb-14 20:13:24

Just that really. At Christmas we walked around the cheap toy haven that is B&M Bargains and she picked a few from the boys and a few from the girls selection.

About a week ago a man asked me why in earth I had a dinosaur in my car, as if it was the strangest thing in the world but she really does love dinosaurs and toy cars. I fail to see the problem...

Indith Sun 23-Feb-14 20:16:03

Some people are idiots.

I yell my dcs that there is no such thing as girly or boyly (their word), just what you like and what you don't like. gets harder against the tide of pink, blue, insipid doll and super cool robot though.

Indith Sun 23-Feb-14 20:16:26

tell. yelling would be a bit mean.

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 23-Feb-14 20:17:03

They are not boy's toys, they are her toys.

He was a twunt.

edwinbear Sun 23-Feb-14 20:17:26

dd loves cars, trains and dolls <shrug> they're all toys right? Of course yanbu.

WilsonFrickett Sun 23-Feb-14 20:18:29

You should stop giving lifts to eejits. The hard of understanding can walk, IMHO.

edwinbear Sun 23-Feb-14 20:18:30

and one of ds's fav toys is the toy kitchen we bought him one kitchen.

edwinbear Sun 23-Feb-14 20:18:44

one xmas even.......

MrsKCastle Sun 23-Feb-14 20:19:46

Yabu to classify toys as boys' toys and girls' toys. I know some shops still do it, but really they're just toys. There's nothing intrinsically 'boyish' about either dinosaurs or cars.

Yanbu in the slightest to buy whatever toys you/your DD want.

The man was an idiot.

CromeYellow Sun 23-Feb-14 20:20:47

We've always bought dd a mix of boy/girl/neutral toys and clothes, now at 2 she picks everything herself, she chooses dolls, dinosaurs, cars, blocks, anything peppa pig... It's important to let them decide what they like and not to pigeon-hole them with gender stereotypes.

JoinYourPlayfellows Sun 23-Feb-14 20:21:22

There's nothing intrinsically 'boyish' about either dinosaurs or cars.

^ this

Marne Sun 23-Feb-14 20:23:11

My dd has always had boy toys, she loves dinosaurs, has a box of cars, collects dragons and pokemon. I have never really worried about it, she can play with whatever she likes.

roofio87 Sun 23-Feb-14 20:23:19

anyone is being v u if they consider a dinosaur a 'Boys toy'. I don't think of any toys as being for girls or boys. let her play with you whatever makes her happy!! smile

RevoltInParadise Sun 23-Feb-14 20:24:32

There are no boys or girls toys. Just toys.

cory Sun 23-Feb-14 20:25:11

I got some very funny looks from my friend when I bought her dd a car mat. Same friend used a car every single day of her life, for shopping, for pleasure, for family outings. So apparently if you are female you are fine to drive a car, just not to play with one. hmm

LifeHuh Sun 23-Feb-14 20:25:20

Nope,buy her whatever she likes to play with and ignore,ignore,ignore any comments from anyone else!

One of my big successes in toy buying was a Matchbox model spaceship complete with tiny green alien,bought for DD when she was 3ish.Dh was very [sceptical] and "why did you get her that,it's a boys' toy??" It was a big success and has been pretty much continually played with,passed onto DS and still going strong 16 years later. I am occasionally smug to DH about it,even now...

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 23-Feb-14 20:27:35

The flow chart is funny about this. Basically, can it be operated with the genitals? Yes/no. If yes, it is not for boys or girls. If no it is a boys' or girls' toy.

Genius.

theborrower Sun 23-Feb-14 20:29:49

Of course you're NBU to buy her toys she likes to play with, but YABU to categorise toys as boys or girls toys, as another poster said. The man who thought that the dinosaur was weird was, well, weird, if that was his implication.

Have you seen the flow chart that does the rounds on Facebook and Twitter every now and again?

"Do you operate the toy with your genitals?"
No - the toy is for boys or girls.
Yes - this toy is not for children
smile

There's a great campaign out there called Let Toys Be Toys, to encourage shops to stop categorising its toys by boy/girl.

theborrower Sun 23-Feb-14 20:30:35

MrsTerryPratchett cross post :-)

Gorillagregishavinglunch Sun 23-Feb-14 20:33:57

Yadnbu.

What a narrow simple minded comment. Would he have commented if the dinosaur had been pink with sparkles and cuuuuuuuute big eyes? Would that have been more suitable for a girl?

Sexist arse.

MrsS1980 Sun 23-Feb-14 20:35:19

My 2 yo DS cut his finger yesterday when we were out so we went to buy him a plaster. He chose the Disney princesses packet as he is currently obsessed with Princess and the frog. The lady on the counter actually asked him if he was sure and then asked me why I was buying them for him? She then said 'aren't they funny hey?'. I just said he liked them but was really quite cross!

TwittyMcTwitterson Sun 23-Feb-14 20:38:14

They have one side for boys and one for girls so suppose I just see the difference there.

Phew, I'm not gonna make her gender less like that woman did with all her kids but as all you wonderful people say, a toy is a toy. She got a fire engine and ambulance car set on Saturday. They just have more fun and imaginative toys on that side. daren't say boys side now haha. she loves dolls but they're all the same etc. Not seen the flow chart but I like it wink

Fwiw, I didn't give him a lift. He somehow saw it on the floor of my car when he parked next to it. Must have peered in!!!

RawCoconutMacaroon Sun 23-Feb-14 20:46:05

My 3yo has a lovely toy kitchen, dolls, a pushchair, nappies and bottles for the dolls, an obsession with anything "hello kitty". Loves pink.

Also has millions of cars, dinosaurs, toy work tools etc.

I have had comments about this (often positive, but sometimes downright rude).

My 3yo is a boy btw.

FryOneFatManic Sun 23-Feb-14 21:02:05

Flow Chart

TwittyMcTwitterson Sun 23-Feb-14 21:26:08

Love that flow chart. Have shared it on Facebook to see the response.

I'm annoyed at myself for following societal norms and defining them as boys and girls toys now it's been mentioned here.

I remember when DD wasn't yet a twinkle in DPs eye and going to a friends house who had hoovers and kitchens and irons etc and being shocked at how much they were house wifey things and it sparked a big debate about what society expects for girls.

My closest friend told me I must take a dolls pram in her house home as she did NOT want DS playing with it. Surely he's just copying his dad? shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now