Talk

Advanced search

Or was this an odd boob experience in Debenhams?

(37 Posts)
Azquilith Sun 23-Feb-14 19:54:18

Went to Debenhams today to buy new non nursing bras (exciting!), decided I'd get measured as boobs very different post ds. Some difficulty finding someone who could do it, and she then looked very unimpressed, rolling eyes and announcing that she would go on her break as soon as she had finished. She then measured my rib cage and announced I was a 28 but they didn't have 28s so I'd have to have a 30. She didn't measure boobs and disappeared telling me she was going to find bras. I kind of wanted to find my own bras but just went with it. She then came back in with 3 34Cs (Apparently she hoped they'd fit) and stood in the cubicle with me whilst I tried them on, then spent lots of time trying to physically force my boobs into bras that clearly didn't fit. In the end I stopped her and asked her to leave (politely) and made a sharp exit myself, braless! Is it me or is this not an ideal bra experience and does anyone know anywhere good!

MarianneEnjolras Sun 23-Feb-14 19:57:00

Bravissimo.

MarianneEnjolras Sun 23-Feb-14 19:58:02

I'm a 28 back too and I wouldn't expect debenhams or any high street store to have any in that size <bitter>

I can only buy from bravissimo or online shops.

bodybooboo Sun 23-Feb-14 19:59:35

they are crap as were British home stores where I wrote to complain at the crap service.

bravissimo yes but mega expensive.

op google it, get your dh to measure them and go to primark. lovely pretty bras and very cheap.

CrohnicallyFarting Sun 23-Feb-14 20:00:25

I had a fitting in Debenhans that was nothing like that apart from the fact that she didn't measure my boobs either.

She measured my back size and then guessed cup size by eye. Brought me a bra in that size then left the cubicle while I changed. When I told her I was ready she came back and assessed fit by eye, occasionally asking me to move a certain way, or asking permission to touch and adjust the fit. After a couple of different sizes we found one we were both happy with.

I would write or email and complain about the fact that a) she remained in the cubicle and b) trying to force your boobs into the bra and c) her general attitude. She needs retraining as otherwise she could really upset somebody!

BirthdayMuppet Sun 23-Feb-14 20:04:33

At least they didn't do the add 4, that's something! But sadly I'm not surprised at the attitude. Try here for measuring and fitting advice (run by a mumsnetter). Post your measurements back here and the gurus will come flocking to your aid!

RevoltingPeasant Sun 23-Feb-14 20:06:01

OP where are you? I use Leia in York and room DSis there who is your size. They could fit her. They sell mostly Fantasy and Freya bras.

RevoltingPeasant Sun 23-Feb-14 20:06:20

*took DSis ther

Havinganose Sun 23-Feb-14 20:10:03

This is 100 per cent my experience with any bra fitting services - any number of m and s stores and mothercare. All crap

Babyturnip Sun 23-Feb-14 20:12:06

Are you anywhere near Milton Keynes/ Buckingham op? There is the most amazing bra shop called sweet dreams and they are amazing smile sorry you had such a crap experience

Wabbitty Sun 23-Feb-14 20:12:13

Bravissimo

edwinbear Sun 23-Feb-14 20:12:47

YANBU re the crap service, but I have been measured at Rigby & Peller a few times and they have always, very successfully, measured by eye.

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 23-Feb-14 20:15:00

I recommend John Lewis if you can get to one!

MirandaGoshawk Sun 23-Feb-14 20:16:30

Sounds like a bad experience from a poorly trained person.

We've got a Triumph store in Exeter (awaits applause) and they are brilliant. I'd been wearing 38B but they didn't fit - I though I probably needed bigger. The woman looked at me & said "I think you're a 34". I didn't believe her, but anyway went into the cubicle & she came in & measured me round my ribs over my t-shirt, assessed me by sight & then went & got bras & left for me to try on. I called her when on & she commented on the fit. I left 'uplifted' with a gap between my boobs & my waist!

MirandaGoshawk Sun 23-Feb-14 20:17:36

Should have said, ended up needing 34C. Was very shock !

itsbetterthanabox Sun 23-Feb-14 20:17:48

Why would she give you 34's if you measured a 28! At least give you 30's. How odd. Email in to Debanhams and complain. They shouldn't be offering a service using people who aren't trained or professional. Bra fitting is quite personal too, they need sensible staff.
Measure yourself and then order bras from bravissimo grin

Bravissimo or JOhn lewis. Can't believe she measured you at 28 and gave you 34s. Blooming numpty!

Do you have anywhere else you can go, if not start with the guide here, post your measurements and then order a selection online

Azquilith Sun 23-Feb-14 20:25:56

Thanks ladies! I will try Bravissimo, I live in London. Will think about complaining as well, it wasn't a very nice experience, wish I'd told her to leave but it felt a bit like having a baby and getting no options but everyone looking at my bits!

Iloveonionchutney Sun 23-Feb-14 20:29:36

I found bout avenue very good, I have been measured by eye and then been allowed to try a few to see what fits best. I would have been furious to be treated like that over something so personal x

Iloveonionchutney Sun 23-Feb-14 20:29:59

*boux avenue even!

Greypuddle Sun 23-Feb-14 20:33:00

Selfridges are very good too and no pressure to buy.

Sometimes the Bravissimo fitters will stay in (although they normally ask) while you try on nut they certainly don't prod and yank. They're well trained so although it is personal, and they'll provide advice on the best way to put bras one tc, it's a very professional service iyswim

gimcrack Sun 23-Feb-14 21:00:53

John Lewis, Oxford St, are good. And suitably brusque, so you don't feel embarrassed.

Aeroflotgirl Sun 23-Feb-14 21:47:05

Appealing, Bravissimo and John Lewis services are wonderful and their bras are too!

bigfuckoffpie Sun 23-Feb-14 21:51:05

Agree with bravissimo recommendations - i felt like a new woman after getting fitted there. They are expensive, but check the sale lines on their website to save pennies..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now