Talk

Advanced search

aibu to think my friend is exremely odd for only making homeworker food for her dog from scratch and won't ever buy it?

(23 Posts)
trampsypantsy Sun 23-Feb-14 18:00:21

She makes it from scratch, not just using the leftovers from her own food bit goes out and buys all the ingredients and seasoning specially. I asked and she told me that it's nothing to do with the cost orbit being cheaper that way, nor is it because the dog has special food needs, she said she think the dog deserves homemade food. I understand live and let live and all, but that is bizarre isn't it?

trampsypantsy Sun 23-Feb-14 18:01:08

*Extremely odd
*Homemade food.

ThatBloodyWoman Sun 23-Feb-14 18:03:15

Each to their own.

It's not hurting anyone, but I hope she's giving pooch the correct level of protein, fat etc.

NatashaBee Sun 23-Feb-14 18:03:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YoureBeingASillyBilly Sun 23-Feb-14 18:05:02

Are you sure she's not raw feeding? That can involve buying more than just raw meat and bones.

Her food is probably healthier than store bought. I dont see the problem really.

trampsypantsy Sun 23-Feb-14 18:05:51

Nope nothing to do with that, apparently her dog prefers the taste of it homemade

YoureBeingASillyBilly Sun 23-Feb-14 18:06:22

Btw- she's not alone in this. Many many people have wised up to the crap that is in commercial dog food and make their own.

OpalQuartz Sun 23-Feb-14 18:07:16

Sounds fine to me

Jolleigh Sun 23-Feb-14 18:08:24

I hope she's thinking properly about nutritional breakdown...dogs don't need nearly as much protein as most people assume.

I don't find it too odd. She obviously has the time and enjoys doing it.

Tailtwister Sun 23-Feb-14 18:08:53

I don't think it's that unusual. When I was a student I worked in a boarding kennels and cattery and most of the dogs and (particularly) cats had their own food supplied. One owner actually made his own sausages and had pre-packed all his dog's meals for his 2 week stay.

Personally, I find it hard enough to provide home cooked meals for my children let alone a pet!

Joysmum Sun 23-Feb-14 18:10:03

When I got my lizard in my late teens, I used to go to Waitrose to get class 1 veg for him as Asda only did class 2 which is what I ate

trashcanjunkie Sun 23-Feb-14 18:10:36

I'm toying with this as an idea, blush I take pains to eat well and feel the dcs well, mainly for health reasons. It stands to reason to me that feeding the dog shitty processed crap all it's life leads to health issues in the older dog, which in turn is terrible for dog and owner, plus expensive! Although we're so used to feeding dogs commercial pet food it seems so odd to do anything different.

ithaka Sun 23-Feb-14 18:11:17

I am a dog owner/lover so I know that raw/home made food is considered the gold standard compared to processed, bought food. However, I think anyone who actually does it is a bit bonkers with far too much time on their hands. But people are free to waste their time any way they like - I find lots of things a bonkers waste of time (trainspotting, spa days, I could go on). Each to their own, I guess.

RainbowRabbit33 Sun 23-Feb-14 18:19:46

My mother made dog biscuits for all her friends for Christmas (the ones with dogs, obviously, not ALL her friends, that really would have been odd!). I thought she was crazy, but apparently they were cheap and easy, and if the reaction in the pub on Christmas Day was anything to go by, they were very popular with the recipients!

The bit where she found a dog-shaped cookie cutter and made a little gift tag with the appropriate breed of dog on for each gift was perhaps a little over the top, but she has had a lot of time on her hands since she retired!

scarletforya Sun 23-Feb-14 18:20:42

Sounds sensible to me. I'm sure home made food is much better than processed food for dogs.

Topseyt Sun 23-Feb-14 18:21:44

Some people raw feed their dogs. Raw meat, raw meaty bones, mixed with some raw vegetables. If you know what you are doing you can make a well balanced diet for your dog that way. It has the advantage of knowing what goes into it, which is not always clear with commercially prepared food, but the disadvantage of perhaps getting the balance wrong, and being a little more time consuming.

I don't feed my dogs this way. I prefer to choose a good quality commercially prepared food, to which I add various bits and bobs, plus occasional leftovers of our own meals.

There are good quality commercial dog food brands, and there are crap ones too. You have to do your research and pick carefully. All dogs are different too, and there is no "one size fits all". A brand which suits one dog may perhaps not suit another, and so on. Maybe your friend has had bad experiences with these and just wants to feed her dog a good diet. Not mad at all, just takes longer to prepare.

pettybetty Mon 24-Feb-14 03:56:09

I make our dog home made food as he is so fussy, and I was getting sick and tired of us opening tins of dog food only to have him eat practically nothing, and having them sit in the fridge. He's a v. small breed and a normal 400g tin would last him about 2 - 3 days, but he would often not eat any of it, no matter what brand.

I started making him food from internet recipes (mince, veg, rice etc) and would put the mix in a small muffin pan, and freeze it like ice cubes. I make enough for about 3 weeks at a time, and don't have to worry about any bad filler ingredients. It is cheaper, and takes probably 1 hour every 3 weeks. Not bad. I also give him a little bit of dry dog food with the mince mix. Works for us.

Saucia Mon 24-Feb-14 05:43:10

If she has the time and money then I don’t think it’s bonkers at all. I used to feed my cats the odd homemade meal.

Skivvywoman Mon 24-Feb-14 08:15:47

My mil does this too but with her it doesn't surprise me as she loves the dog more than her own son (no lie)!

LeapingOverTheWall Mon 24-Feb-14 08:20:38

my DB does this, but the dogs get (I think) raw chicken wings, cooked broccoli and pasta, so it doesn't take much time to sort out. Does mean SIL won't eat broccoli herself now as "it's dog food not human food" smile

saintlyjimjams Mon 24-Feb-14 08:49:18

I raw feed. It takes 2 seconds (can't say I season his food though).

He's no longer covered in scabs & his poo is solid rather than the squits he had the while time he was on dried. It's worth it not to have to scoop up a liquid poo several times a day.

Tiptops Mon 24-Feb-14 08:52:51

YABU.

Most commercial dog food is extremely poor quality, she isn't hurting anyone by making her own.

MissPlumBroughtALadder Mon 24-Feb-14 08:56:50

Feeding your dog 'dog food' is like feeding your children processed crap. So many older dogs in Britain have chronic health issues - ever wonder why?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now