Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To not want to buy sanpro by mail order in discreet packaging because I might forget to buy it from the supermarket?

(24 Posts)
MissieEverdeen Sun 23-Feb-14 13:31:09

I know some people have commented on this in the MN survey thread, and it's mostly because the survey wound us up.

So I wanted to throw it open for more opinions.

Auntie Daisy delivers tampons and sanitary towels discreetly through your letterbox every month, so you never get caught out by your period again. Profits from Auntie Daisy are donated to Camfed, an amazing charity that helps girls in Africa secure a better education.

Camfed sounds like a wonderful charity, but I don't wish to spend nearly £4 to get 20 tampons or 12-16 sanitary towels in discreet packaging through the post each month, as if it's something I need to be embarrassed about or because I might be too daft/disorganised to remember to buy Tampax from the supermarket.

I am however interested in supporting Camfed directly - it's just that this idea of mail ordering sanpro feels ridiculous to me, as if it's something to be ashamed of.

AIBU?

JeanSeberg Sun 23-Feb-14 13:36:54

I agree with you.

You can donate directly here:

https://camfed.org/donate/

meditrina Sun 23-Feb-14 13:41:37

YANBU.

Bu that's not the only funding for CamFed - an organisation I hadn't heard of before, but which appears to be doing really important work.

Caitlin17 Sun 23-Feb-14 13:42:24

Ridiculous. I can understand if you needed some form of special san pro which was only available by mail order (can't think what that might be but possibly allergy issues) there would be no need for the package to say anything other than the sender's name in the same way as say "Amazon" but beyond that there's no need to be "discreet" about it.

WipsGlitter Sun 23-Feb-14 13:44:11

You are all BU for using them term sanpro.

RestingActress Sun 23-Feb-14 13:45:17

You may not want to but there are some women who do feel self conscious about it, there is no reason why they should feel self conscious but if they do then this alleviates their discomfort and raises money for charity it seems like a win win to me.

MissieEverdeen Sun 23-Feb-14 13:49:41

And if more people see this and think it's a good idea to them RestingActress then that's great.

But I just don't think many women will think it's a great idea, for many reasons. So it seems ill-thought out to me.

StealthPolarBear Sun 23-Feb-14 13:52:12

I thought exactly the same OP. Seems a shame that a charity that on the face of it seems to be doing some good work would be all coy and cringey about women having periods.

Idocrazythings Sun 23-Feb-14 13:54:15

Can I be the first to say "moon cup"

StealthPolarBear Sun 23-Feb-14 13:55:33

yeah, go on then

MissieEverdeen Sun 23-Feb-14 13:58:47

Sanpro bingo grin

Caitlin17 Sun 23-Feb-14 14:00:21

Is there another term for "moon cup" I'm past the age of caring but "moon cup" is so hippy/dippy twee.

MissieEverdeen Sun 23-Feb-14 14:01:39

Menstrual cup?

StealthPolarBear Sun 23-Feb-14 14:04:13

mooncup is the brand name though, and market leader I think. Bit like saying tampax instead of tampon.

FrigginRexManningDay Sun 23-Feb-14 14:09:55

I dont care who sees me buying sanpro. I dont know anyone who would be embarrassed by buying it.

gamerchick Sun 23-Feb-14 14:15:19

I'm not arsed about who sees me buy it.. The husbands not arsed if he buys it. But if I ever called it sanpro I would want somebody to beat me about the head with a bat grin

I never heard it called that apart from here....its a ragey word.

Caitlin17 Sun 23-Feb-14 14:21:04

I never call it sanpro except on here.

A moon cup might have been useful for me, not necessarily on a permanent basis, but to determine how much blood I was losing, but the name was so "knit your own organic lentils" it put me off looking into it.

marmitecat Sun 23-Feb-14 14:27:15

I put off using a mooncup for years as I thought it was a bit too hippy and odd. Stupid me. Saved me a fortune in sanpro and much more effective and clean.

marmitecat Sun 23-Feb-14 14:28:38

And I think auntie daisy would be better named auntie flo. Just saying...

Bloodyteenagers Sun 23-Feb-14 14:42:43

The charity is fantastic.
The over priced site not so. Ok there are females out there that for whatever reason are embarrassed about a natural bodily function, and wish to buy products discreetly but there are already a number of ways to do this. This site plays on the insecurities of females and of over charges them all in the name of charity. The charity aspect is to then guilt trip you into buying from them. They say all profits are donated. But fail to say how much in monetary terms that is.

Buy elsewhere and donate the extra £2 a pack direct to the charity. They gain a lot more this way.

MissieEverdeen Sun 23-Feb-14 14:48:27

Completely agree Bloodyteenagers (LOL at your name!)

I will be looking into donating to Camfed though, however I do wonder what's made them think this is a good idea to be associated with.

ScrambledeggLDCcakeBOAK Sun 23-Feb-14 14:49:13

There are loads of reasons why I don't think id need them to my door one of which is due because I'm so unpredictable both in heaviness and length and then in pattern so I could never say when exactly I would need them or how much product I would need.

Now saying that I don't really see a problem with having them delivered in say the way I quite like the occasional magazine being delivered, then I need to keep track of one less thing.

Also I really like the idea that I am helping a charity by buying a product that I'd be spending money on anyway so less fuss of looking to donate separately.

I don't see why everyone hates the idea so much.

I do HATE the company name

ScrambledeggLDCcakeBOAK Sun 23-Feb-14 14:52:57

I also of course think that if the idea is to hide a woman's natural bodily functions from the rest of the world is stupid though

MissieEverdeen Sun 23-Feb-14 17:56:01

I agree ScrambledEgg.

I think the name of the venture itself could have alluded to how they want to support girls and young women in developing countries to overcome the issue of menstruation affecting their education.

Instead it's just twee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now