Talk

Advanced search

to think launderettes are the most depressing place in the world?

(35 Posts)

My washing machine decided to give up the ghost this morning so I have to come to the launderettes. its dingy and noisy and is sucking up my will to live.

Doea anyone else find this and I am being unreasonable to want to sit in the corner and give up on clean clothes?

MorrisZapp Sun 23-Feb-14 11:29:25

I love laundrettes. The smell, the warm air, the machine noises. I used them for years as a student and look back v fondly, though I agree I couldn't be fagged now.

I was in the laundry once and the huge glass door of the tumble drier fell inwards and shattered all over my clothes. It was weird, I almost expected my jeans to start bleeding.

Nancy66 Sun 23-Feb-14 11:29:46

That's funny because when my machine packed up before Christmas I really loved going to the launderette.

For starters it was lovely and warm, they had a coffee machine and I chatted to some really interesting people.

Admittedly if I had to do it all the time it would probably get me down but for a couple of weeks I really liked it.

MorrisZapp Sun 23-Feb-14 11:31:20

Also you never know when a comely young man might turn up, strip to his pants, and put his clothes straight in the machine.

It must just be this laundrette then. It's draughty and looks like something from the seventies. no coffee machine in sight and no comely gentlemen live anywhere near here trust me I've looked wink

Fantissue Sun 23-Feb-14 12:31:53

I think they're up there with the Job Centre in terms of being almost suicide-inducingly depressing.

Yay. someone who agrees with me. Finally escaped with clean clothes though.

TheSmallClanger Sun 23-Feb-14 13:59:37

Definitely NBU. I used one a couple of times as a student, when our halls laundry room was out of use. I thought the halls laundry room was bad, with its weird smell and foggy atmosphere, but the public one was ten times worse, and had odd people in it, who kept trying to talk to me. At least with the halls one, it locked and you didn't have to sit in there.

The next time I got caught short, I just bought loads of knickers and t-shirts to last until the laundry room was fixed, or until I could get to somewhere else with a washing machine. Never again.

expatinscotland Sun 23-Feb-14 14:01:49

I love them!

Yamyoid Sun 23-Feb-14 14:02:50

I quite like having the excuse to just sit and read a book.

onepieceoflollipop Sun 23-Feb-14 14:03:50

If you think launderettes are depressing you have lived a sheltered life. smile
Prisons are depressing. Most launderettes are fine, the odd one might be a bit grubby i guess.

SlitheryAnne Sun 23-Feb-14 14:05:32

I have no idea where my nearest laundrette is but I love the smell that tumble driers give off so they sound good places to me!

TheSmallClanger Sun 23-Feb-14 14:07:32

They are not good places. They are shite and they all need to be bulldozed.

At least in prison, there are fewer dirty old men trying to look at your knickers, and there is a gym you can use sometimes.

EffieTheElephant Sun 23-Feb-14 14:08:57

YANBU!

Helpyourself Sun 23-Feb-14 14:10:00

onepiece grin
Laundrettes are fine service washes are surprisingly good value blush

missmartha Sun 23-Feb-14 14:16:06

I've never actually sat in mine. If the weather is awful and I have bedding and stuff that needs washing, I just drop it off for a service wash and pick it up later.

Bloody great service.

spongebobsparepants Sun 23-Feb-14 14:20:28

Yep, I like 'em too. I take the duvets to be washed there, and also occasionally in winter, when the washing and drying has got a bit behind, I take a massive load and just get it all done in one go. It's a lovely excuse to sit with a book in a warm, soapy smelling place and feel like you are achieving something without having to break a sweat. Admittedly I wouldn't want to do it all the time....

teenagetantrums Sun 23-Feb-14 14:32:08

There is a nice pub opposite my launderette, I use the Launderette to wash duvets and sometimes dry things in the winter as we live in a flat. I just bung it in and go and have a glass of wine and read a book for a while, I always go in the evening as I can leave the teenagers to sort themselves out.

LadyMacmuff Sun 23-Feb-14 14:43:18

MMMm reading a rubbish mag in peace with your back against a warm dryer as your bed linen and towels tumble around without getting so creased they are impossible to iron. (or don't need an iron!) What's not to like??! I would go more often if I could justify the ridiculous expense when I've got a washer and dryer at home!

Marylou2 Sun 23-Feb-14 14:44:15

I took my duvets to wash in the big machines a couple of weeks ago. I was positively look forward to a couple of hours of reading and reliving my student days. Unfortunately a very efficient lady took them off me and called a day later to say they were ready. Fabulous service but I was almost disappointed not to stay.

limitedperiodonly Sun 23-Feb-14 14:49:08

I used to hate going with my mum. She'd fallen out with the manageress of the closest one so we used to have to go to one that was a two-and-a-bit mile walk away with washing in my old pram - she couldn't drive and refused to get the bus. I don't know why, we had enough money for the fare.

I now realise we also had enough money for a bloody washing machine and my dad was always offering to buy one but she thought it was extravagant and he was scared to overrule her grin. She did everyone's washing, except for blankets and sheets by hand, so I can't complain.

I think she didn't think it was worth getting the bus for three stops. As a result I was a very fit child because we walked nearly everywhere, so I can't complain about that either grin

I don't remember how long it took. It seemed like hours. I think she must have taken me for company but I can't remember talking. I used to take a comic and when I finished it, it was so boring. And the trudge home in the dark on a winter Sunday evening when it was drizzling...

She wouldn't waste money on the driers either so depending on the season the house would be a freezing bog or sweaty tropic for days as her '70s bubble-gum pink acrylic blankets slowly dried on the backs of kitchen chairs.

My dad did manage to convince her to buy a washing machine in the end. But when it broke down about 10 years ago she didn't bother replacing it. She could hand wash the little stuff and liked going to the laundrette for the big stuff because she liked being with people. Not that she was a lonely person. I don't think I will ever have so many friends as her.

So damn you, you've made me cry, OP. Don't worry. I'm joking. It's been nice to talk about something as silly as going to the laundrette smile

ilovedogsandcats Sun 23-Feb-14 15:35:05

I haven't been in one since I was a student. Always lovely and warm. There is one just down the road from where I live now. It is invariably empty though.

HadABadDay2014 Sun 23-Feb-14 15:46:57

Rent a wash, much cheaper and no hauling your washing about

JupiterGentlefly Sun 23-Feb-14 15:47:29

I use one from time to time. . Usually when I get a backlog.. my local one has wifi a tv, coffee machine and cake for sale!

HadABadDay2014 Sun 23-Feb-14 15:48:32

www.forbes-rentals.co.uk/washing-machine-rental.asp

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now