Talk

Advanced search

to buy a fresh chicken because we forgot to defrost one?

(34 Posts)
ToddlerHoover Sun 23-Feb-14 11:09:18

I really fancy roast chicken.

Dh said, we'll have to have something else as the chicken is still in the freezer.

I said I'll get a fresh one from the Co-op.

Dh looked at me like I'd suggested eating one of the children.

He says it's wasteful. Because we already have one.

I don't get it. Who is right?

AIBU?

ilovepowerhoop Sun 23-Feb-14 11:10:48

its not wasteful if you eat the other chicken at a later date. What a strange point of view

goldenlula Sun 23-Feb-14 11:11:25

It is hardly wasteful, you can use the chicken in the freezer another day and if you did use that one today, you would get one to replace it another time. YANBU.

livelablove Sun 23-Feb-14 11:12:03

If you can afford the fresh this week it is not wasteful as the frozen one will keep till next week or whenever. I think fresh ones are slightly more expensive, but nicer.

HRHLadyG Sun 23-Feb-14 11:13:18

Buy the chicken and enjoy it! x

Eastpoint Sun 23-Feb-14 11:13:30

It depends when you want to eat roast chicken, doesn't it need to fully defrost before you can cook it?

Catsmamma Sun 23-Feb-14 11:13:46

he is being ridiculous....unless of course he is going to throw away the frozen one.

ask him to explain himself.

KitKat1985 Sun 23-Feb-14 11:15:21

YANBU. Just defrost the frozen one another time. It won't be wasted. Then you can have roast chicken later. smile

ToddlerHoover Sun 23-Feb-14 11:17:01

The chicken in the freezer was a fresh one to start with, and we'll obviously have that next week.

But he considered the idea a bit preposterous and wasteful and thought we should have something else that we've already got rather than buy a duplicate chicken.

I wondered if he had a point.

MinesAPintOfTea Sun 23-Feb-14 11:17:05

Not wasteful as long as you get around to eating the one in your freezer eventually.

AmazingBouncingFerret Sun 23-Feb-14 11:17:57

YANBU. I've been even more 'wasteful' today. I bought a ready cooked one! grin

bragmatic Sun 23-Feb-14 11:18:38

Does he think it's eggstravagant?

AmazingBouncingFerret Sun 23-Feb-14 11:18:52

And it wasn't even a case of forgetting to get the other chicken out of the freezer, I just purely couldn't be arsed to wait for it to defrost and then cook it!

ToddlerHoover Sun 23-Feb-14 11:18:54

It's not a money issue, we can afford it.

He can be quite old fashioned (imo) about things like this.

Gruntfuttock Sun 23-Feb-14 11:19:02

I think he's being illogical and you're being entirely sensible and practical. It's not as though there will be any waste, the frozen chicken will be eaten at a later date. It's the obvious solution.

ToddlerHoover Sun 23-Feb-14 11:19:51

grin at eggstravagant.

FannyFifer Sun 23-Feb-14 11:20:16

Stress him out even more & go buys ready cooked one. wink

BrokenBananaTantrum Sun 23-Feb-14 11:20:23

I did this last week. Forgot to defrost the chicken so went and bought a ready cooked one.

livelablove Sun 23-Feb-14 11:21:40

Its only a problem if you are on a strict weekly budget for some reason. Or if there is some difficulty getting to the shops.

It's not wasteful.

It would be wasteful if it meant that something fresh in your fridge was going to go unused because you decided to buy something fresh, but since you were planning to use the frozen chicken anyway, this isn't the case.

But if you do have fresh stuff that needs eating and the chicken (and leftovers if you have any!) will push back that stuff from getting eaten, it would be better to eat something you have.

livelablove Sun 23-Feb-14 11:23:39

I have been getting one of those cook in the bag ones. It comes in the plastic bag and you just pierce it and shove the whole thing in the oven.

brettgirl2 Sun 23-Feb-14 11:32:27

I do this kind of thing all the time. yanbu

shewhowines Sun 23-Feb-14 11:37:08

Weird twisted illogical thinking, on his part.

honeybeeridiculous Sun 23-Feb-14 11:50:40

He sounds an old fart,just like my DH, sometimes you just have to accept they have a warped mind and do it your way anyway grin enjoy your chicken!

GwendolineMaryLacey Sun 23-Feb-14 12:20:46

I did it with the mince yesterday. Was going to be too late back to defrost and cook it so I left it and bought fresh. We'll have it next week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now