Talk

Advanced search

To be freaked out about being in my parents house alone

(22 Posts)
eltsihT Sat 22-Feb-14 21:05:10

Well not quite alone ds1 and 2 are asleep upstairs. My parents and their dog are away. But

I am convinced I can hear a dog walking around, the chimney is whistling, the letterbox is creaking. I woke up last night and was convinced I had to feed the cat (my parents cat died last year)

eltsihT Sat 22-Feb-14 21:05:34

I don't like it I want to go home.

FoxesRevenge Sat 22-Feb-14 21:06:16

How long are you there for?

eltsihT Sat 22-Feb-14 21:09:27

Till Tuesday... I know it's nothing, their house just makes more noises than I am used to

JeanSeberg Sat 22-Feb-14 21:10:55

Get in bed with a good book or some music on and a glass of wine to help you relax. Is this the first time you've been there alone?

Just put some food down for the ghost cat and grow a pair grin

AgentZigzag Sat 22-Feb-14 21:13:28

Are you able to go home?

It's awful once you get shit up then it's all you can think about.

Put a film on, (not the Paranormal Activity series maybe?) or some music, read some threads on here (a look around classics can be good), any computer games you get absorbed by? A facebook chat with someone?

eltsihT Sat 22-Feb-14 21:15:34

At night yes.

It's an oldish manse. Mmm a drink might help, just watching telly at the minute and surfing tinternet.

bluecheque4595 Sat 22-Feb-14 21:16:47

Watch Little Fockers, it is really crap but unlikely to scare you.

Stripyhoglets Sat 22-Feb-14 21:17:37

I leave all the lights on when I am spooked on my own at night, I find it helps to know everywhere is lit up!

eltsihT Sat 22-Feb-14 21:18:03

Going home would involve waking a sleeping baby and toddler and driving for 2 hours. Maybe I need to work out what's making the noises

Lweji Sat 22-Feb-14 21:22:41

Tape the letterbox and stuff the chimney.

The dog could be the neighbours'. Or mice. In which case you do need a cat.

eltsihT Sat 22-Feb-14 21:25:55

Ok the dog noise is the wind rattling the locked cat flap... It's still freaking me out...

Am drinking some of my mums nice sherry and trying not to think about it

AgentZigzag Sat 22-Feb-14 21:32:54

Can you lock the cat flap? Ours rattles with the wind in the right direction but there's a little wheel that stops it opening/rattling.

Definitely don't go home, a 2 hour drive in the dark can't be any less scary than snug with your mums sherry.

Drink more sherry.

JeanSeberg Sat 22-Feb-14 21:38:18

I now want sherry!

eltsihT Sat 22-Feb-14 21:38:45

Going to try to sleep. Hopefully I won't wake up like last night and try to find they cat to feed.

I am listening to night watch as an audio book. Unfortunately all my audio books that I have with me are a bit dark so let's see how this goes

Have had a large glass if sherry so hopefully that will help too

eltsihT Sat 22-Feb-14 21:39:43

Jean come keep me company and you can have one. She also has nice port

AgentZigzag Sat 22-Feb-14 21:42:57

I love a good audio book, I'm addicted actually (got Death Qualified on at the min).

Can you download a free one that's a bit lighter in tone?

Yes, more sherry, always more sherry.

AgentZigzag Sat 22-Feb-14 21:43:43

Bloody hell, why are you drinking sherry when there's port on offer?? confused

funkybuddha Sat 22-Feb-14 21:48:38

If you have an ipod then get the little ones in your bed (so you dont have to worry about them waking up) and shove your ipod on til you drift off. I used to stay in an ex boyfriends house that was like this on my own and this was my coping strategy!

eltsihT Sun 23-Feb-14 01:32:38

Wind is awful but ds2 woke me not the heebie jeebies. Audio book definitely helped.

Drinking port just before I go to bed makes my dreams weird, not what I am needing right now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now