Talk

Advanced search

to rave about my tens machine

(24 Posts)
wintertimeisfun Sat 22-Feb-14 17:55:36

in alot of pain due to tendonitis of the shoulder. having a small op in a month and rather than down bottles of pain killers decided to buy one as was pretty good when in labour years ago. can't recommend one enough. yet to go further than 'level 2' though grin although dh and dd regularly try to get me to go to 'level 3'...too much of a wimp

biffnbuster Sat 22-Feb-14 18:10:47

I found mine to be good for my back ache.

Jolleigh Sat 22-Feb-14 18:54:10

YANBU - I'm actually very happy to see you raving about your tens as I've just bought one to help me through my labour.

EmmaFreudsGivingMeJip Sat 22-Feb-14 18:58:10

Jolleigh - I used a tens during labour 2 weeks ago, it really helped with back pain and was a good distraction.

Jolleigh Sat 22-Feb-14 19:08:38

grin that's what I like to hear! I've never tried a tens before and this is my first baby so, naturally I'm slightly nervous. My stepdad swears by his though (think it's a shoulder thing he uses it for) so I'm getting some very reassuring stories.

Charlilouise Sat 22-Feb-14 19:10:49

I have one that I'm using on my hip as I have bursitis and arthritis, it seems to be helping so far!

2beornot Sat 22-Feb-14 19:14:19

Jolleigh - I used a tens in labour. Best thing ever!!! I only got upto 6 (it went up to 10) and was lucky that I didn't need any other pain relief. Definitely getting it again next time. You need to put it on at the start - don't wait til you really need it!

2beornot Sat 22-Feb-14 19:14:43

Oh and OP - YANBU!!

learnasyougo Sat 22-Feb-14 19:19:25

I used one for my labour. interestingly I once accidentally squeezed the boost button as I was moving to a better position and OMG that hurt, like a million tiny bees! but when using the boost during an actual contraction it was like a really pleasant tingly back rub smile find the sticky pads kept getting unstuck though, which was annoying. I did find it effective.

whatareyoueventalkingabout Sat 22-Feb-14 19:36:39

I used a really expensive super duper one in labour and it was on the strongest setting and I couldn't even feel it by the end. It possibly distracted me a little bit though?

Jolleigh Sat 22-Feb-14 20:26:24

I'm no glutton for pain 2beornot so will have it on from the start!

Jolleigh Sat 22-Feb-14 20:27:09

(Makes mental note to only press the boost button during a contraction!)

SlitheryAnne Sat 22-Feb-14 20:28:57

I felt mine didn't really do much in labour, but my pain was all in my lower belly like period pain. I'm going to borrow my dad's tomorrow though to see if it will help with my back ache.

Coumarin Sat 22-Feb-14 21:50:33

Thank you for this thread! I have very bad shoulder pain and it's getting worse. I feel nauseous with it. I'm seeing a Dr soon but they weren't much help last time. I hadn't tonight if a tens machine.

Is there a particular type or brand that is better? I don't know much about them.

Coumarin Sat 22-Feb-14 21:50:55

*thought of

daisychain01 Sat 22-Feb-14 22:05:41

Very pleased your tens worked well for you. My physio used one on me a few years ago and they do work so I wouldnt mind getting one to keep at home.

Do you mind me asking if they are expensive and if you can recommend the make? Thx lots!

Jolleigh Sat 22-Feb-14 22:16:46

I got the Obi Tens for just over £40 from Amazon.

ImpatientOne Sat 22-Feb-14 22:26:07

YANBU! I have one that I bought in November when I had a prolapsed disc and it was like a miracle! I was prescribed Tramodol and Diazepam but stopped those after a few weeks and stuck with the tens religiously as it really did help.

I am still struggling when I walk a long way and I tried to put my tens on the other night and it's not working sad I think I may invest in a more fancy one as I only bought a cheapie not knowing if it would be helpful - my only gripe was that the wires were uncomfortable when sitting.

ManifestoMT Sat 22-Feb-14 23:23:35

I loved my tens machine. It helped me in 2 labours. I had mine whacked up to 10. It came unstuck and fell off mid contraction. My dh stuck it back on without building up the levels. So straight in at 10, I felt I had an electric shock. It was really really painful. I nearly fell off the bed it was such a jolt. It surprised me how much I had taken before. I then lowered it back to 1 and built back up to 10 and was fine again.
Just don't forget if it does fall off, build up gently again.

Jolleigh Sat 22-Feb-14 23:29:25

Thanks for the tip Manifesto...I wouldn't have known I needed to build it up again confused

Is buying some medical tape to make sure the pads stay on also a good idea?

maddening Sat 22-Feb-14 23:33:37

yes to tape - and get spare pads and batteries - 4 days labour mostly at hone with paracetamol - the tens and breathing got me though!

legoplayingmumsunite Sat 22-Feb-14 23:47:28

I used a TENS machine in all 3 labours. With DS it got me to within minutes of giving birth (admittedly it was all a bit quick and furious). If using in labour then make sure your DH switches it off before taking it off, DH gave himself a bit of a shock!

BrownSauceSandwich Sat 22-Feb-14 23:51:37

I used mine for a trapped nerve in my neck. I did have to use pain meds as well, but it would have been a lot worse without it... Saved me from six months of being completely stoned every day!

vikingpooboat Sun 23-Feb-14 00:04:50

YANBU I used one in labour with ds2 and it was the best thing ever. It made me feel in control of my contractions

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now