Talk

Advanced search

to ask you all to help motivate me...

(24 Posts)

I need to do a proper clean of my flat which has suddenly seemed to have turned into a bomb site.

I know I need to do it but just can't find the motivation to tackle the pots and bathroom alongside the million and one other little jobs I know need doing.

Anyone got any good cleaning tips too?

(I'm 24 and so far from being a good house cleaner it's not even funny, so help, advice and motivation would be greatly appreciated.)

Pipbin Sat 22-Feb-14 17:06:46

Take it one room at a time. If the whole flat is a mess then it can be hard to know where to start.

I would start in the living room. Put or throw everything away as appropriate. Then do the same in the bedroom. Then you can dust and wash the wood work, if you are really doing it properly. Then vacuum. Then I would stop for the day and do the bathroom and kitchen another day.

Misfitless Sat 22-Feb-14 17:07:51

I'm pretty shit at all this housework malarky, too, OP!

I find it helps to do small bursts of tidying up.

Think of it not as a whole flat that needs cleaning, but section it out into zones in your head.

Or just blitz for 20 minutes/half an hour then step back as you have a cup of tea, then do another 20 minutes.

It's amazing what you can get done if you know you can have a break after 20 minutes.

smile

Pipbin Sat 22-Feb-14 17:08:21

That said I have a cleaner........

I like the 20 minute idea Misfit grin

I also like the doing a couple of rooms today and a the others tomorrow Pipbin

I only have a living room/dining room, bathroom, Kitchen and bedroom to deal with so it shouldn't really be too bad, just really bad at not getting overwhelmed by it all.

SoftKittyWarmKitty Sat 22-Feb-14 17:12:55

Just do the pots and the bathroom to start with if they're the worst. If you struggle, set an alarm for 15 mins and see how much you can get done in that time. You'll be surprised what you can achieve in such a short time.

Okay, I'm off to do the pots.

And thanks SoftKitty

AlwaysDancing1234 Sat 22-Feb-14 17:23:05

Put some good upbeat music on, tackle one room at a time and reward yourself with tea and cake after a good hour of productive tidying/cleaning!!

JeanSeberg Sat 22-Feb-14 17:24:14

Also get some good music on to keep you going. Or something on iplayer that you only need to half concentrate on.

bodybooboo Sat 22-Feb-14 17:41:13

pretend you are presenting a cleaning programme and do a running commentary on what you are doing.

I do this when I am cooking.

I am wierd. grin

body I do that when I'm cooking too.

I have now done 20 minutes in the kitchen (I've cleared the side beside the sink and put the hob cleaning stuff on the hob) so now my 10 minute break.

Also Jean and Alway I always have music on when I do house stuff, cooking or cleaning, makes the time pass. Not sure the neighbours appreciate the squawking singing that goes along with it though smile

Pipbin Sat 22-Feb-14 17:51:02

And If it's a real mess, clear the tables and make the beds. Clear surfaces make a room look clean.

When you have got yourself straight then get a rota and have a room a week that you give a proper clean. Also, don't leave it a mess before you go to bed. It's like offices that operate clear desk policies.

I do that too bodybooboo

Joysmum Sat 22-Feb-14 17:52:31

I concentrate on the 2 main rooms and start with the tasks that will make the most difference.

Choccybaby Sat 22-Feb-14 17:57:38

If it's a mess as well as dirty then declutter and make sure everything has a home. Get more storage if necessary.
If you get into the habit of putting stuff away after using it you'll be amazed how much easier it is to clean.

Time to get started on the next 20 mins.

You guys have definitely managed to get me motivated. Just telling someone (even internet strangers) that I'm goin to do it makes me want to get it done. So thank you!

frogslegs35 Sat 22-Feb-14 18:03:23

Glad you managed to kick your own arse smile

I always stick on some music and tackle the worst rooms first while singing my head off.

Agree with choccy - if everything has a place and you always return it after using then it makes a big difference when tidying.

Continue your good work.

ShadowFall Sat 22-Feb-14 18:10:58

You could invite someone round.

Nothing motivates me to clean my house as much as knowing that a visitor will be arriving in a couple of hours.

On a more serious note, I aim to do a minimum amount each day to keep on top of things - so making sure dishes / laundry / mail etc aren't allowed to pile up, and we do the room a week rota system someone upthread mentioned.

Slothful Sat 22-Feb-14 18:15:59

Checkout the flylady website - it has a chatroom for when you want to work with a bit of motivation from others - people are friendly on it, mostly US based.

Back after round 2 grin the kitchen is taking shape.

Thank you all so much for your advice and support.

Joysmum Sat 22-Feb-14 18:36:06

Mine next then. Totally couldn't be arsed today blush

Okay, the kitchen is completely clean and shiny.

Floors, cooker, sides, sink pots, cupboards cleaned and emptied of out of date stuff, fridge cleaned. I'm feeling so proud of myself right now.

Thanks again to all of you, I'll be tackling the living room next (tomorrow).

Also managed a tidy up of the bathroom, got rid of all the tat that was lying around and never gets used.

SoftKittyWarmKitty Sat 22-Feb-14 19:55:43

Bloody hell, you've sorted out your cupboards and cleaned the fridge too?! That's good going!

You deserve a rest now...go and put your feet up.

I have put my feet up Soft, currently watching Buffy and deciding what to make for my tea (since I cleaned through tea time).

I just have to wash up after I've cooked and eaten to maintain the beautiful Kitchen I have rediscovered. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now