Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why baby's nappy stank of fish

(24 Posts)
monkeynuts123 Sat 22-Feb-14 09:49:46

There was a woman doing her baby's nappy the other day in the library after a sing along thing and her baby's nappy absolutely stank of fish. I mean the smell was overpowering, really really revolting and smelt just like fish. I am puzzled, why and how would a baby's nappy stink of fish?! It wasn't just a smelly poo or a teething nappy, it smelt just of fish. Odd. Does anyone know why or how? There were more than a few raised eyebrows, not mine I have to say but I did make a swift exit!

gordyslovesheep Sat 22-Feb-14 09:51:18

hmm

Koothrapanties Sat 22-Feb-14 09:51:31

It could be a special formula the baby is on? Dd is on nutramigen due to cows milk allergy and her poo sometimes smells a bit fishy. It doesn't smell like normal baby poo at all. I know there are other special formulas so maybe that could be the cause?

WhoNickedMyName Sat 22-Feb-14 09:55:53

It could have been something to do with baby formula, the child could have had a water infection, it could have been something to do with what the nappy is made from... Take your pick.

What do you think caused it OP? You obviously have an opinion, so share it with us.

Er, maybe the child has some kind of intolerance or dietary problem?

WitchWay Sat 22-Feb-14 09:59:22

How old was the baby? Could it have been eating fish?

There is a rare condition called Fish Odour Syndrome which causes bodily fluids to smell fishy.

littleblackno Sat 22-Feb-14 10:02:35

My ds nappy smelt of fish after I ate mackerel when I was bf.

monkeynuts123 Sat 22-Feb-14 10:03:13

No baby doesn't have allergies because that was what I thought, the mum knows another mum I know. Also baby looks about a year old so probably not on much formula. I honestly have no idea or theory on it, I'm just puzzled by it, I've never smelt anything like it!

MamaPingu Sat 22-Feb-14 10:06:37

The baby's mother may feed them a lot of fish? I'm planning on doing so when DS is a bit older it's full of goodness smile
Not looking forward to fishy poos though!

candycoatedwaterdrops Sat 22-Feb-14 10:06:56

What a bizarre AIBU.

BitsinTatters Sat 22-Feb-14 10:20:06

Again as civil war breaks out and children are starving to death all over the world I'm left wondering how else I can judge other mothers

I'd phone social services or LTB

monkeynuts123 Sat 22-Feb-14 10:20:41

It is very bizarre, you're right. I wasn't sure where to put it. On reflection it's not a terribly interesting post blush

monkeynuts123 Sat 22-Feb-14 10:21:29

Ahh no judging at all, just smelly!

WhereIsMyHat Sat 22-Feb-14 10:23:41

When all three of my children eat/ had eaten fish the nappy to follow had a fish like smell. Totally normal.

Bluemonkeyspots Sat 22-Feb-14 10:34:25

I knew someone who used reusable nappies and they always stank of fish.

I thought it was the nappy (only used pampers myself) but perhaps it was something she fed the baby

CrohnicallyFarting Sat 22-Feb-14 10:35:41

Just out of interest, was it a cloth nappy? Only Dd is in cloth and if her wee is stronger than usual it smells fishy, I was speaking to another cloth nappy using mum and she found the same.

CrohnicallyFarting Sat 22-Feb-14 10:36:03

X post with bluemonkey!

SlitheryAnne Sat 22-Feb-14 10:37:06

Dd's nappy stinks of fish when she's eaten it, they obviously has fish for tea.

monkeynuts123 Sat 22-Feb-14 10:38:37

I think it was a cloth nappy yes

Oh, yes, reusable nappies can smell fishy if they get a build up of soap products, it means the nappies need "stripping".

ateddybearfromdelaware1 Sat 22-Feb-14 10:41:15

My ds' poos smell fishy...when he's eaten fish.

Curry nights are the best though.

CrohnicallyFarting Sat 22-Feb-14 10:42:59

Ahhh, thanks for that Bertie! Must be a combination of the soap and strong wee that does it.

monkeynuts123 Sat 22-Feb-14 10:55:15

That'll be it! Hats off to Bertie!

MissyO Sat 22-Feb-14 11:58:10

They have been eating fish! Where is the mystery!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now