Talk

Advanced search

to think this is a weird way to run a business?

(49 Posts)
ToddlerHoover Sat 22-Feb-14 09:42:35

I went out last night on a leaving do. The drinks were flowing.

We (group of 30+) went to the only nightclub in town. We were literally the only people in there all night, it was a ghost town but we were having fun.

They had huge banners up advertising 5 shots for a tenner. So as a group we ordered 30 and lined up at the bar to do a Mexican wave of shots. All very childish but good fun.

The guy whose do it was did his shot and then ran off to the loo to be sick. Now, I'm not saying that was brilliant, but. The bouncers were on him immediately, and told him to leave.

We explained to the bouncer this if he left we would all be leaving ( dand as I said, we were the only people in there all night) and the bouncer just shrugged. The manager said he wouldn't undermine his staffs decision.

So we all left, leaving the place completely customerless, and went to another pub. Most of the pubs in town are open late anyway, the only draw of the expensive nightclub is the dance floor.

Aibu to think this is a batshit way to run a business? The reason it's empty is because you have to pay to get in, and we were only in there as a nostalgic throwback to when it was the only place to go.

Surely selling cheap shots and then chucking people out for vomitting (none of us were horribly smashed btw ) is counterintuitive?

scarlettsmummy2 Sat 22-Feb-14 09:45:11

I imagine the bar didn't want the responsibility of the person who was sick. I believe they have a duty of care, so that outweighs potential financial benefit.

PuppyMonkey Sat 22-Feb-14 09:46:12

Oh dear, I'm sure they were very sorry to see you all leave. Not. grin

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 22-Feb-14 09:46:43

Maybe they wanted classier customers who weren't so pissed they vomited everywhere?

The customer is not always right, and some times are just more hassle than they are worth

WitchWay Sat 22-Feb-14 09:47:39

Was he sick in the loo? Or all over the floor?

EatShitDerek Sat 22-Feb-14 09:48:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

curiousuze Sat 22-Feb-14 09:49:23

It's actually an offence to sell alcohol to someone who is drunk - maybe they thought your pal was going to be a liability? Or maybe they thought you were all a pain in the arse smile

ToddlerHoover Sat 22-Feb-14 09:49:26

I get that. But he asked if he could stay but not drink anymore, and then we'd all stay, and they still said he had to leave. It was just odd.

We were dancing and chatting, not picking fights and being rowdy. It didn't even blight out evening really,we just went on to the next pub for the last hour or so. They lost out on all their customers. I don't really get the sense.

ToddlerHoover Sat 22-Feb-14 09:50:23

He went to the loo to be sick, the bouncer followed him in.

LackingEnergy Sat 22-Feb-14 09:50:24

It's most clubs policy to kick you out if you've been sick surprised you lot didn't already know this

WhoNickedMyName Sat 22-Feb-14 09:52:04

If they're refusing to serve anyone that seems pissed and throwing people out for being sick no wonder it's empty. It's a nightclub... That's the kind of clientele nightclubs attract.

It'll probably close completely soon.

insancerre Sat 22-Feb-14 09:52:41

YABU
This sort of attitude to drink is full of double standards.
Everyone is up in arms about the neknomination thing, but what's the difference between that and whet the op's friends are doing?
Both are showing an immature attitude to alcohol consumption.
I'm with the bouncers 100%.

EatShitDerek Sat 22-Feb-14 09:54:14

ToddlerHoover Sat 22-Feb-14 09:54:45

We're not exactly nightclub experts! We were a group of 30/40somethings on a work's do, not clubhoppers.

I hadn't been in there for about seven years. I won't be going back.

insancerre Sat 22-Feb-14 09:55:47

because drinking till you are sick is stupid, whoever is doing it

Joysmum Sat 22-Feb-14 09:56:08

Ah so upholding the licensing laws is a poor way to conduct business?

Luckily the bouncers and management consider there license to be more valuable than pandering to a group of immature binge drinkers.

AlpacaPicnic Sat 22-Feb-14 09:56:52

If they don't want people doing shots like that, then they shouldn't be selling them or promoting them at the bar imho...
Maybe the staff wanted to go home early ?

MsMarvel Sat 22-Feb-14 09:58:12

I work in a bar and without a doubt if someone was sick, whether on the floor or neatly in the toilet, and it was noticed by staff, you would definitely be asked to leave. I'm actually surprised that you thought that this wouldn't happen?

Yes of course they would rather no customers than having to deal with cleaning up vomit, and have a potential situation on their premises where someone is in no fit state to look after themselves and could potentially escalate very quickly.

IME someone being sick from a shot that 'didn't stay down' very quickly turns into 'the drunk guy sleeping in the corner being sick on himself'. If rather get them off my premed is before this happens.

AlpacaPicnic Sat 22-Feb-14 09:58:16

30 shots / 30 people is not exactly binge drinking!

ToddlerHoover Sat 22-Feb-14 09:58:47

He was sick because of the shot, not necessarily because he was pissed. We were all fairly upright even by the end of the night.

EatShitDerek Sat 22-Feb-14 09:58:56

WhoNickedMyName Sat 22-Feb-14 09:59:53

Hahaha 'licence more valuable than pandering to a group of immature binge drinkers'

They're selling 5 shots for a tenner.

ginmakesitallok Sat 22-Feb-14 10:00:29

You'd already paid to get in, you were buying cheap drinks, they'd already made money out of you. No reason for them to keep you there, you said yourself you weren't regulars, so they haven't lost custom. More sensible than letting a group of 30 potential drunks stay.

HandMini Sat 22-Feb-14 10:00:30

I guess they already got your entrance fee and weren't going to make a fortune on five shots for £10 offers. I think its v hard for responsible staff in night clubs. Maybe they didn't like the look of where it was heading (not saying your behaviour is any different from hundreds of other punters, including me ocasionally, back in the day!)

Haggischucker Sat 22-Feb-14 10:01:08

Sorry YABU, I work in licensing and would have made the same decision, not worth losing license for! sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now