Talk

Advanced search

To wish DD (4 weeks) would just go to sleep?!

(40 Posts)
Apparentlychilled Sat 22-Feb-14 00:43:23

I've fed her, winded her and cuddled her for over an hour. Come on DD, it's time to sleep!

AgentZigzag Sat 22-Feb-14 00:46:48

Awww, lots of sympathy, yes it's well passed your bedtime young lady smile

How's it going generally?

Can your DP take over for a while?

Apparentlychilled Sat 22-Feb-14 00:59:23

I went to bed at 9pm (after being handed curry on sofa while I fed grin, and he had her wailing at him while I slept. That said, if she's not asleep in anor hour I'm going to wake him.

Generally, it's going well. We get the odd good night where she only feeds once or twice (once if I manage a dream feed or twice if I go to bed about 9), which seems to set me up for a few days. We've had a few rubbish-y nights so I was hoping tonight wd be better. She's v cute and older DC are besotted. We just need a bit more sleep at night!

Apparentlychilled Sat 22-Feb-14 01:08:14

she seems wide awake. Intermittent wailing. Back patting making no difference. Nit interested in feeding (fed 11.30-12.15). Anyone got any magic tips?

Rubberstamp Sat 22-Feb-14 01:12:29

Swaddling really works with my 6 week old. Has never worked with previous DC. She squirms a bit then sleeps and sleeps and sleeps - 9 hours last night! Discovered this 5 days ago and she's slept at least 8 hours a night since. Unfortunately i still wake up to prod her as I can't quite believe it.

Apparentlychilled Sat 22-Feb-14 01:18:39

She's swaddled in a hand knitted blanket. Do you use a a swaddling cloth or a blanket?

FlockOfTwats Sat 22-Feb-14 01:19:58

Rubber My 3MO does the same.

He sleeps with me with just blankets over him, up to his armpits (He usually sleeps with his arms out).

Apparentlychilled Sat 22-Feb-14 01:29:21

Yep, she's happy to sleep on me but not in her basket (I know she can- we don't co-sleep).

Rubberstamp Sat 22-Feb-14 01:30:00

Well, I'd tried with normal blankets and couldn't get them right and she kept escaping so got ordered one from amazon (with velcro) and it's since then that she's slept. It's like a miracle, she was waking every two hours beforehand. Decided to try it as I realised she slept when held and as soon as she was put down she'd startle every so often and wake herself up. It seems to stop her waking by startle. Obviously now I'm just panicking that actually she shouldn't be sleeping for so long. Other DC didn't sleep through until they were 7-8 months.

pianodoodle Sat 22-Feb-14 01:30:02

Have you tried a dummy?

smile

Rubberstamp Sat 22-Feb-14 01:32:13

This is what I got:
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00850LP88/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1393032676&sr=1-3&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

Apparentlychilled Sat 22-Feb-14 01:42:35

Ooh, I have something like that. Will go and dig it out.

piamo was debating a dummy but was thinking I couldn't be arsed to sterilise it at this point in the day!

Amy106 Sat 22-Feb-14 01:53:24

Have you tried white noise? Like turning on the bathroom fan? Or the clothes dryer? Makes some babies drop right off.

Apparentlychilled Sat 22-Feb-14 01:59:22

Was debating getting into car, but it's blowing a gale here. I've swaddled her and offered the breast again. She's fallen asleep while feeding. Am hoping if I hold her for 5 mins, I'll then be able to out her down.

I was wondering if this might be a reaction to my milk being affected by curry? I did think about the white noise Amy as DD1 had a bad night at a similar age after I'd eaten leeks and I spent the night sitting next to tumble drier (not that it worked tbh).

And... She's wailing again. Aaagh! And now silent again and apparently asleep, at least for 60 seconds...

Amy106 Sat 22-Feb-14 02:15:18

Is she asleep now? I really hope so for your sake. Swaddling, rocking, soft singing.....okay I know this are old fashioned solutions but I hate to leave you without some comfort at two in the morning.

Apparentlychilled Sat 22-Feb-14 02:16:39

Asleep on my chest, all swaddled up. Going to try out her down...!

Apparentlychilled Sat 22-Feb-14 02:17:17

Put her down, I mean

Apparentlychilled Sat 22-Feb-14 02:18:08

Put her down, I mean

Amy106 Sat 22-Feb-14 02:27:19

[whispering] good luck!!

MrsGSR Sat 22-Feb-14 02:28:39

You can get a white noise app for your phone, I'm about to try and put my 4 week old down on her moses basket with 'heavy rain' in the background. Usually works fairly well smile

Apparentlychilled Sat 22-Feb-14 04:58:06

2hr 45 min sleep and we're up again- better than nothing I guess!

MistletoeBUTNOwine Sat 22-Feb-14 05:00:40

DS been up for an hour hmm

Pidgy Sat 22-Feb-14 05:06:16

2 hr 45 mins?! That's good!!! wink

Going to attempt to put my swaddled baby down now. Wish me luck.

jenecho Sat 22-Feb-14 05:14:42

Id second both swaddling and white noise. I have something called a woombie that i discovered with dd1, which is stretchy and zips up the front, much easier than the wraps and velcro ones. Summer infant do a cheaper version called a swaddlepod that they sell in mothercare.

i also have a relax and sleep app on my android phone and play the large fan noise all night.

imissredwine Sat 22-Feb-14 05:18:44

I love MN, always someone around. How's it going?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now