Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to let this give me the rage?

(21 Posts)
bopoityboo3 Fri 21-Feb-14 23:25:08

Okay so I know I am but I am 34 wks pg (which is my excuse for the rage )and it is stopping me from sleeping.

MIL is staying for a few days and we get on fine (most of the time). The thing that is giving me the rage is the fact that she snores! Not gentle lady like snuffles but full on chainsaw! It is so bloody loud I can hear it through the sodding wall and it is stopping me from getting to sleep.

Would it be the worst thing to do to go give her a slight push so she turns over and shuts the hell up?!

deakymom Fri 21-Feb-14 23:26:29

push her grin

BerylStreep Fri 21-Feb-14 23:31:45

As a hardened snorer, I can sympathise with your MIL. She can't help it.

SantanaLopez Fri 21-Feb-14 23:32:27

Get your DH to push her!

Frusso Fri 21-Feb-14 23:34:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bopoityboo3 Fri 21-Feb-14 23:38:44

Liking the idea of getting DH to do it. grin

Beryl - I know she can't help it (hence stating I know I'm BU) but it is still bloody annoy and this is the third night in a row it's kept me awake.

Maybe i'll get revenge in the morning (she likes to sleep in late) by send DD in to give nanny big cuddles when DD wakes at 7 whilst I get some sleep.

purplemurple1 Fri 21-Feb-14 23:39:50

Get her son to do it

TheWhispersOfTheGods Fri 21-Feb-14 23:40:38

Have you got an already born mobile child who is unhelpfully awake who can be dispatched in to 'play with Grandma', or a dog/cat you can gee up, shove in and close the door on?

Not a long term solution, I grant you, but if DH then retrieves said mobile disruption unit you can use the resulting, albeit temporary, freedom from chainsaw to drop off? Also, will be rather satisfying.

My grandmother is never staying overnight near me, she snores like an air raid siren. When she drops off on the sofa watching tv we have to put the subtitles on hmm I feel your pain.

Funnyfoot Fri 21-Feb-14 23:42:06

Get a big stick and prod her.

Jolleigh Fri 21-Feb-14 23:45:38

My DP snores like your MIL. It gives me the rage too as a 35wk pregnant light sleeper. YANBU but she can't help it.

May I suggest that you compensate yourself by gaining some sadistic pleasure singing badly and loudly in the morning while she's still asleep?

bopoityboo3 Fri 21-Feb-14 23:45:53

TheWhispers unfortunately DD sleeps through fine. But might have to go an find the cat in a minute. Though he's probably out bothering the local mice population.

She has moments of about 15 -20 secs where it stops and you think 'this is it she's turned. hallelujah!' and then it starts up all over again just in a slightly different pitch angry

perplexedpirate Fri 21-Feb-14 23:48:21

If it's that bad you should let her know. Snoring is a symptom of various problems and could be affecting her health. Does she have a partner that would tell her?
That pious bit done with; go poke her!!

bopoityboo3 Fri 21-Feb-14 23:50:04

I think sadistic pleasure might be called fall. She also naps a fair bit on the sofa in the afternoons, accompanied by the chainsaw. I may have to find all the really noisy toys that DD has and let her play with them in the living room instead of her room for a change. (whilst I head off sneak off back to bed)

bopoityboo3 Fri 21-Feb-14 23:53:23

perplexedpirate she doesn't have a DP, but does know she snores really badly. She lives with my SIL and her family and the DGC point it out to her regularly that she has been snoring lots and very loudly.

Destinysdaughter Fri 21-Feb-14 23:54:16

Wax earplugs.

StarGazeyPond Fri 21-Feb-14 23:57:05

She has moments of about 15 -20 secs where it stops and you think 'this is it she's turned. hallelujah!' and then it starts up all over again

That definitely sounds like sleep apnea to me. You should record her and play it back to her for her own sake.

TheWhispersOfTheGods Sat 22-Feb-14 00:11:58

Yeah, on a serious note if she is sleeping late and napping in the day she probably has sleep apnoea (as one is not getting enough decent sleep as one is never falling into a deep sleep as one can't breathe) and should go to the Dr.

bopoityboo3 Sat 22-Feb-14 00:14:53

damn sleep apnoea hadn't even crossed my mind. [embarrassed] will get DH to mention it to her tomorrow.

vikkik888 Sat 22-Feb-14 00:36:29

I snore like a trooper!

Tried all sleeping positions, all tricks and apparently nothing works. But hey, doesn't worry me because I'm asleep and can't hear it smile

I am aware of how everyone else feel though (they tell me all the bloody time) so I do sympathise with you OP

ToAvoidConversation Sat 22-Feb-14 00:50:26

Sorry but I'm horribly ruthless when it comes to bad snorers. I grew up with someone like that and the sleep deprivation is horrendous. I don't let snorers like that stay and I have emergencies earplugs if a new guest does snore. You need to tell her.

sykadelic15 Sat 22-Feb-14 20:11:13

Though it wasn't the point of your post, I concur with sleep apnea.

I've snored for year and years. Around 10 years ago I had a sleep study done and was told I had moderate sleep apnea and needed to lose weight and have my tonsils removed (no mention of a CPAP). Unfortunately I can't have my tonsils out due to a medical condition and I've actually gained weight rather than lost it (but even at my skinniest I snored).

Late last year it was getting worse (congested and all that) and my husband was having to sleep in the other room or on the couch and the nights he slept with me he was exhausted. He hated having to change rooms but he gets up early and needed to sleep.

I had a sleep study done here in order to get a CPAP machine. I've had my CPAP machine for over 2 months now. I no longer snore. My husband is able to sleep in the bed now and I can already tell the difference in my energy levels. I'm supposed to wear it when I nap (after a long day at work I nap for an hour or 2 still) but the times I haven't I've REALLY noticed waking up with that surprised "snort" sound thing.

As it turns out there's more to sleep apnea than I realised. During the sleep study my oxygen levels dropped to 88%. My doctor told me that the drop in oxygen puts pressure on your heart increasing your risk of heart attack and stroke. It also results in weight gain and lack of energy. The vicious cycle is it causes weight gain and the more weight, the worse it gets and so on. He told me that it'll get better but it will take time. His goal is to help me increase my energy levels and help me lose weight.

I cannot tell you how it felt to have someone FINALLY tell me it wasn't my fault I keep gaining weight and that he could help me stop snoring (which makes me feel really unladylike). I'm excited for Spring and getting my bike out!

~~Sorry for the long post about it but I feel really strongly about getting people help with this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now