Talk

Advanced search

to worry about the ONS selling survey data

(3 Posts)
EloiseintheSun Fri 21-Feb-14 20:13:42

Been 'selected at random' to take part in the ONS Family Resources Survey which provides information about 'living standards'. Someone will call soon and interview us.

So far, so good - but I wouldn't want to divulge overly personal information and I'm a bit concerned about the bit in the blurb that says that the ONS provides survey information to 'other approved organizations'. Presumably they sell it.

Happy to help, constructively, social policy and genuine research but somehow I feel a bit uneasy about privacy and the commercial side of all this. AIBU?

FreelanceMama Fri 21-Feb-14 20:22:48

YANBU they should make it clear to you if your personal data (name and address) will be passed on or not. You should also be able to opt out of your data being passed on to a 3rd party. I would ask for this to be confirmed in writing or not take part.

LordEmsworth Fri 21-Feb-14 20:25:41

Hmm... presumably anything they provide is anonymised, so wouldn't be linked to you. Does that make it any better?

Do you realise that the ONS publish masses of survey data on their public website for anyone to use/look at? So I wouldn't assume it's sold but it is even more widely available. I'd ask the person you speak to to explain exactly what they will do with the data you provide, in detail, and in writing if that reassures you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now