Talk

Advanced search

to think if you serve someone and ask what drink they want, you should get it and not start serving other customers?

(14 Posts)
itshardthinkingofanickname Fri 21-Feb-14 19:37:06

Tesco cafe. Asked what drink I wanted. Filter coffee. I walk up to the coffee section. One cup, Empty. Wait a minute and then see the assistant is now serving food to the people behind me. I ask her where my coffee is and she say's she's in the middle of serving.

The next person comes from behind the cafe about 5 mins later and then serves me.

Cue a little chat between the 2 assistants.,

I then notice a woman waiting at the till . The same assistant walks pas t her, then thinks about it, turns around and decides to serve her.

And they say customer service is dead.

LizzieVereker Fri 21-Feb-14 19:43:26

Perhaps she was waiting for the dishwasher to finish to get clean cups? Or maybe she wanted to give people their food whilst it was hot?

Annoying to be kept waiting I know.

itshardthinkingofanickname Fri 21-Feb-14 19:45:10

The cup was there. In front of me. Nice, clean and empty. All ready for some coffee.

Food was under the heater, She just got the cup ready for the next person to fill it up - even though he wasn't there and started to serve the next customer.

Chottie Fri 21-Feb-14 19:48:58

That would have pee'd me off big time. I would have complained to her manager. but I am GOW smile I have worked in lots of customer service roles in my life, before I get flamed

itshardthinkingofanickname Fri 21-Feb-14 20:12:59

My instant thought was AIBU grin

SeaSickSal Fri 21-Feb-14 20:18:27

In every single coffee shop I have ever been to the system has been that one person serves as a barista making the coffees and another takes orders and serves the food.

So in this situation I would have just assumed that the barista who was making the coffee was away from the coffee bar for the moment.

It's always like that, it never changes. If she'd stopped serving just for you then a massive queue would have built up as all the people not having coffees would be stood waiting.

The system always works like that.

She should have told you that her colleague was coming when you asked though.

itshardthinkingofanickname Fri 21-Feb-14 20:19:59

The massive queue was a family of 4. And that was it.
My coffee took 10 seconds to pour out.

The moment was 5 minutes.

joven Fri 21-Feb-14 20:20:45

At a normal coffee shop I'd agree with you, but if you go to a supermarket café, you should be prepared for crap service.

itshardthinkingofanickname Fri 21-Feb-14 20:21:06

That's what pissed me off. She got everything ready, all on a tray. It just needed filter coffee adding and paying for.

That's it.

Pumpkinpositive Fri 21-Feb-14 20:22:21

Customer service in the UK is, I think, pretty shit. I've yet to sample the famed American hospitality though.

SeaSickSal Fri 21-Feb-14 20:25:51

Oh okay, when you said it was a coffee shop I assumed it was a proper one where they steam the milk through and stuff and it takes a while.

itshardthinkingofanickname Fri 21-Feb-14 20:32:25

Are you saying Tesco cafe isn't a proper coffee shop grin

DS was "dying for a drink". He was "dehydrated" and desperate. Didn't stop him playing on the Ipads though.

H2OWoe Fri 21-Feb-14 23:17:29

It's Tesco, FGS. Go to a Costa or Caffe Nero - you'll get decent service.

WorraLiberty Fri 21-Feb-14 23:31:30

Customer service in the UK is, I think, pretty shit. I've yet to sample the famed American hospitality though.

I've sampled it and my experience was that it was way OTT, too personal at times and bordering on creepy grin

I'd love something in between the two.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now