Talk

Advanced search

To let the DC watch as much tv as they like?

(17 Posts)
PenguinBear Fri 21-Feb-14 19:36:48

<dons hard hat>

I don't actually want any sort of argument about this, everyone is different and I respect your decision either way.

When dd1 (now 14) was born, I was determined I would limit her tv and only let her watch educational programs etc. I was very PfB.

14 years down the line and 3 more Dc, I no longer limit the television at all (neither what they watch or how long) and they actually watch less and are less concerned by it. They probably watch less than 30mins a day each and would rather play with their toys. If they were tired and wanted a movie day, I am fine with this and sometimes join them.

Having tried and tested both ways over the years I am now pretty laid back and no longer PFB! I have found the lack of importance / emphasis I place on them watching tv has meant they are not asking to watch things as they know they can watch whatever they like if they want to.

AIBU to do this?

If you do limit your DCs tv, how long are they allowed each day and what are they allowed to watch? If like me, you don't limit the tv, do you find they actually don't watch that much?

ThreeBeeOneGee Fri 21-Feb-14 19:42:35

I used to limit it when they were younger (up to an hour a day). Now that they are older, they self-regulate. Interestingly, they probably average a viewing time of about an hour a day.

The computer is more difficult. Three of them self-regulate with that, but DS2 (ASD) would watch for fourteen hours if no one intervened.

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Fri 21-Feb-14 19:43:46

I'm a bit meh about it. My DD loves watching films, as do I, so she probably watches for longer than she would if she was watching TV (we don't have TV). However, due to my passion for film, I can hardly stop her from being passionate about film.

If I left her with the TV on, she would get bored soon enough, and tends to play with toys with a film on in the background, or act out scenes from the film (e.g.. ninja turtles) so is being quite active at the same time.

If all she ever wanted to do was watch TV then yes I would limit it to encourage her to find other ways to enjoy herself.

Greentriangle82 Fri 21-Feb-14 19:44:06

Yanbu
we don't limit screen time, find we don't have to as the dcs do a variety of things. When we are home they do a variety of things sometimes tv/ laptop sometimes baking, positioning, playing in garden. It all bakences out.

ThreeBeeOneGee Fri 21-Feb-14 19:44:09

I also have four, and the eldest is also 14. grin

manicinsomniac Fri 21-Feb-14 19:44:32

YANBU

We don't have a tv but my kids are welcome to watch things they can find on my laptop whenever they like. I wouldn't limit it. But they're busy and rarely have time to watch anything.

If they wanted to watch a lot then it would be different, I would probably limit it. But I reckon most children self limit before they get to a 'too much' level. In my experience tv just isn't that interesting to them.

EirikurNoromaour Fri 21-Feb-14 19:45:06

I don't limit tv time. DS can take it or leave it. Mine was limited seriously as a child and I was obsessed with it.

Chocotrekkie Fri 21-Feb-14 19:45:54

Agree that limiting computer/Xbox is far more of an issue.

With tv the programmes are more along the lines of 30 minutes but with xbox they can play for days without thinking about stopping if I would let them.

manicinsomniac Fri 21-Feb-14 19:46:14

btw, I only don't have a tv because it's been broken for 2 years and I've never got round to fixing it - realise that statement could have come across as a bit smug!

deste Fri 21-Feb-14 19:46:17

I did the same. Both my children are in good jobs and are really lovely people to be around. TV did no harm. My son actually didn't like anything scary so only watched what he liked. He did loads of reading, swimming, hockey, athletics, skateboarding, skiing and snowboarding plus other stuff I can't remember. He wasn't glued all day and every day.

Greentriangle82 Fri 21-Feb-14 19:46:32

Positioning - painting
Bakences - balances
Fat fingers and small buttons!

shakinstevenslovechild Fri 21-Feb-14 19:47:46

Yanbu, I also have 4 kids, and was very PFB with my now 13 year old.

Limiting TV just made it an issue, if they know they can watch it whenever they want they don't bother too much with it.

manicinsomniac Fri 21-Feb-14 19:47:56

but yes, I agree that computer/xbox is more of a problem. I'm afraid I'm a bit evangelical about that and won't let my children have any electronic games, computers, tablets etc. Better things to do and spend money on imo.

Givenupontidying Fri 21-Feb-14 19:48:02

Agree that limiting too much can actually help cause an obsessions with it, but also think it depends on the child. Ds1 (6) self regulates, gets bored with tv after half an hour or so, and goes off to play.

Ds2 would sit all day if no-one intervened, but if he is encouraged to do other things, he does like to go and play, so I find myself limiting him a bit.

Ds3 (2.5) is just obsessed with the ipad so have to limit that a bit.

BabyDubsEverywhere Fri 21-Feb-14 19:49:53

Our Tv would have to be broken to be off! blush

Its on all day every day as I like the background noise. In the day we mostly have kids dvds/channels on so whatever they catch is pretty child orientated I suppose. But this is partly because they are only young (eldest is 6) and partly because I enjoy them too!

We have regular movie days/movie before bed etc but generally they play really well with their toys and each other, read and do crafty things, just with the odd glance at bits that catch their attention.

Dollslikeyouandme Fri 21-Feb-14 19:50:00

I always said I would but never have.

Ds went through a stage of watching way too much and sometimes it was embarrassing when visiting friends because he's ask for the TV on and their kids weren't used to it.

He's 5 now and not bothered about TV at all, he will watch it now and then but has no interest at all when visiting other people.

notso Fri 21-Feb-14 19:59:03

DD isn't that fussed at 13 and had quite strictly regulated viewing.

DS1 has had a more relaxed approach and is obsessive about it. He would happily sit in front of it all day and night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now