Talk

Advanced search

To sell the furreal toys that ds was so desperate for but has looked at twice since christmas?

(22 Posts)
Onelittlebugbear Fri 21-Feb-14 19:22:41

Ds wanted two of the furreal friends for christmas. I knew he wouldn't bother with him and tried to sway him to something else but he would not be budged. He still sort of believes in Santa so that is why I didnt just say "they are crap." In the end he got both furreal toys as I found them on offer and some other things which I knew he would play with but he hadn't asked for.

I am tempted to sell the furreal toys on eBay (they are selling for about £50 as you can't get them new at the moment) and keep the money for something he would use or put it into his bank account. We have so much stuff and I am desperate to declutter, I'm decluttering some of my own stuff too.

If I ask him he will declare they are his favourite toys and play with them for a day before abandoning them again. They do nothing, they have been on a shelf since the start of January, not asked for, not played with, completely ignored.

Shall I just get rid? Ds is four and a half by the way.

DarlingGrace Fri 21-Feb-14 19:26:14

sell

surromummy Fri 21-Feb-14 19:28:15

I think that's a bit extreme seeing as its only febuary!! If hes not played with by next xmas yes but selling them because he hasn't played with them in the 7ish weeks since xmas?!

Are they in central viewpoint/easily accessibly? only I find mine forget about stuff in their toyboxes and dc3 especially I find I actually have to get toys out and set them up/start to play with them before she takes interest.

Floggingmolly Fri 21-Feb-14 19:30:11

He'll notice they've gone, and they were from Santa... How will you explain why you've sold them?

Onelittlebugbear Fri 21-Feb-14 19:30:40

Yes they are easily accessible.
I knew he wouldn't play with them because they are the sort of toy that only really do one thing. I tried to play vets with him with them and he still wasn't interested. He prefers normal soft toys for that.
In contrast the dinosaurs and craft stuff he had have been used every single day.

iwouldgoouttonight Fri 21-Feb-14 19:30:53

I would move them from the shelf and hide them for a month. If he hasn't asked where they are in that time sell them.

Onelittlebugbear Fri 21-Feb-14 19:31:14

Maybe I will remove from shelf and keep them for another couple of months and if he doesn't even notice they are gone then I will get rid.

Onelittlebugbear Fri 21-Feb-14 19:31:27

Cross posts!

JumpingJackSprat Fri 21-Feb-14 19:33:14

Next time don't just buy him crap because he asks for it!

JumpingJackSprat Fri 21-Feb-14 19:34:22

Id sell them now if you can get decent money for them.

Onelittlebugbear Fri 21-Feb-14 19:34:31

I think if he asks for something useless next year I will say Santa has run out of that toy.
I knew they would be ignored, they were ignored on Christmas Day! They aren't snugly so no good for a bedtime toy and they basically make a noise and blink. Cute and all but pretty pointless to ds. I can imagine maybe a child who likes dolls might like them, put them in a pushchair and pretend to feed them etc but ds isn't interested.

iwouldgoouttonight Fri 21-Feb-14 19:34:38

grin I've had to do that with the DCs baby toys, if they see them they'll suddenly become their favourite toys ever and they'll beg me to keep them, so I hide them away for a month and if they've not mentioned them in that time I give away/sell and they forget they ever existed!

Onelittlebugbear Fri 21-Feb-14 19:35:51

I will put them in my "holding cell" aka the spare room for a little while. If they've not been missed by April they're out!

Onelittlebugbear Fri 21-Feb-14 19:36:55

Occasionally I've got rid of stuff ds has outgrown and he asks about it and I vaguely say "oh I think it's in the loft" and we move on! He doesn't seem too fussed.

PenguinBear Fri 21-Feb-14 19:38:28

YANBU! Which ones might you be selling?

Onelittlebugbear Fri 21-Feb-14 19:54:13

A cat and a monkey!

Thetallesttower Fri 21-Feb-14 19:56:42

No, they are gifts and therefore his. Far too soon to think of getting rid. Your argument that you could get him something else or save the money for him doesn't hold water, because you know he won't agree to this. His rubbish presents, his learning curve, just leave them out and he may/may not come to them in his own time.

Gladvent Fri 21-Feb-14 20:01:49

Maybe Santa could send him a letter asking if he would like to swap them for (something he will play with).

Onelittlebugbear Fri 21-Feb-14 20:08:47

He won't let me get rid of anything at all if asked though - baby clothes, toys he had when he was one, if asked he wants it!

They can go in my holding room for a while and if he doesn't notice they can go! Some stuff I've had up in the loft for a while that he hasn't asked after is going, baby toys I guess. Admittedly the furreal toys aren't baby toys but they are rubbish!

Thetallesttower Fri 21-Feb-14 20:23:22

Sorry, still think YABU.

Reasonable to give away baby toys in loft, not reasonable to sell on E-bay Christmas presents in Feb especially as they have been played with once or twice.

If you hide them in another room, of course he's not going to play with them more!

Anyone would think you wanted to sell them.

IdRatherPlayHereWithAllTheMadM Fri 21-Feb-14 20:35:37

I agree to leave it a while, DD has often come to things totally ignored at christmas...and a few months later happily playing.

on the other hand if you are a bit short of cash...then sell.

Onelittlebugbear Fri 21-Feb-14 21:15:26

It's more that the stuff is driving me up the wall, I'm getting rid of stuff that me and dh don't use too.

I am pretty certain he will never play with them but I will hold on to them a while longer. I'm also torn about getting rid of the play kitchen that has been ignored for about six months. It's lovely but huge. Fireman Sam might also be going!

Ds is an only child and only grandchild and I guess stuff wise he's kind of spoilt. Not that he asks for a lot of stuff but he has a lot of stuff just given to him. Realistically he plays with dinosaurs, board games, castles and knights, craft stuff and that's about it. Most of the other stuff he's ever had has had very little play. He's did play a lot with trains when smaller and I've kept all his Brio.

I'm determined to declutter and buy less stuff!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now