Talk

Advanced search

To not know where to start!

(25 Posts)
Alex1984 Fri 21-Feb-14 18:33:28

Bit of advice really as I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. We moved into our house six months ago and so far haven't managed to achieve anything. The garden is a state with a greenhouse in the middle of it! All the rooms need decorating. Just don't know where to start given we have extremely limited skills and funds and a small child. All advice greatly appreciated!

StealthPolarBear Fri 21-Feb-14 18:35:02

Encourage small child's interest painting and decorating and wait 14 years?

BadgersRetreat Fri 21-Feb-14 18:36:46

whatever you do, do one thing at a time. Be that the garden, or pick one room to sort out ...then when it's totally finished, start another one.

Don't start lots of things as you'll get overwhelmed and never finish anything and your whole house will be in chaos.

How about start with the smallest room?

SantanaLopez Fri 21-Feb-14 18:37:18

Big list of what needs done.

Start at the top and cross them off, one by one.

LEMmingaround Fri 21-Feb-14 18:38:36

Theres no rush - the key is, paint everything white, it makes the place look clean, its cheap and you can then do bits and peices as you are ready. Leave the garden for a bit, its too wet to do owt with it just now. Maybe could put the green house to good use?

Don't be scared to have a go at stuff, and enjoy it xx

Funnyfoot Fri 21-Feb-14 18:39:20

Start with the smallest and cheapest room. I did this and it spurned be on to do the others. In size order. That way I wasn't so overwhelmed.

Chickengirl Fri 21-Feb-14 18:41:01

Prioritise the room you spend the most time in so you have a haven from the rest of the house while you work on it. Good luck, it's daunting but we found it's best to just plough on if you can and get it done quickly.

Alex1984 Fri 21-Feb-14 18:42:33

Thanks for the advice. Smallest room is probably our bedroom (after bathroom but that is expensive surely)! Just seems so daunting to pick colours and try to start!
I think the greenhouse needs to go as a small child throwing a ball with a greenhouse in the middle of the area sounds like a recipe for disaster!

Funnyfoot Fri 21-Feb-14 18:45:44

See you have now picked a place to start! grin

Go with the green house.

Anifrangapani Fri 21-Feb-14 18:47:43

Put it on Freecycle and the person who wants it can dismantle it.

CookieDoughKid Fri 21-Feb-14 18:49:01

Do the rooms you will use the most. So bedrooms and living space (somewhere for you to retreat to!). You can get a lot done with limited budget. Do one room at a time and don't skimp too much on cheap decorator tools if you are going to paint yourself (results are poorer). Good luck!

Alex1984 Fri 21-Feb-14 18:52:12

Ok. Good decision, greenhouse coming down tomorrow and then need to work out how to grass the area. Actually quite excited now. Does anyone know what should be done in the garden at this time of year / how to redesign a garden?

Leeds2 Fri 21-Feb-14 18:56:28

I think once you have started to do something, you will feel encouraged/get the bug and be a bit more enthusiastic! I would start with the living room, get new carpet and curtains if you are going to do so, paint the walls magnolia and you're done! Sofa, coffee table, lamps etc can follow when you have the funds. Maybe put a couple of pictures or photos up. And keep the room tidy so that it is somewhere you can retreat to.

Would second the idea that you would be best to finish one room before starting on another.

maggiemight Fri 21-Feb-14 18:57:02

Just tidying up makes a difference to a garden I have found.

Sweep up all leaves, maybe rake the grass (assuming you don't have acres), tidy up edge of lawn using a string for a straight edge and edging spade or ordinary spade. Clean paving with bleach and old floor mop, or use long handled scrubbing brush and cleaner. Turn over soil or at least take out worst of weeds. Any pots or tools put in straight rows or stack neatly. Can make a big difference and place looks cared for.

maggiemight Fri 21-Feb-14 19:00:20

I wouldn't redesign garden until you see what grows in the summer, there could be all sorts of established plants. Also area of green house might be suitable for sand pit/ bbq /seating area so wouldn't rush to decide yet. Also you need to wait and see how much sun the garden gets, some areas could be shady in evening so eg not suitable for bbq area.

MrsMook Fri 21-Feb-14 19:12:26

Tidying the garden and making it safe, then waiting to see what it does through the year is a good place to start as it may have a particular season of unexpected glory.

We started with making some rooms functional with things like curtains and appropriate light fittings. That's enough to have face lifted some of the rooms as they they were neutral and are now tolerable enough to go down on the waiting list. The lounge was the first room for a complete overhaul. It was intolerable with its brown 70s inspired wall paper amongst other crimes. The kitchen was next as winter exposed the fact that previous house alterations meant there was no heating and it was very drafty.

Start with the unsafe, the intolerable, then the uncomfortable.

cjel Fri 21-Feb-14 19:27:02

Take greenhouse out. bit early for turf or grass seed. Do't do too much else unless it really is weedy.
Tip for bathroom - new blinds, flooring and bathmats
If you sit down with your eyes closed what springs to mind that you don't like about your house.

redexpat Fri 21-Feb-14 19:59:38

I saw a book recommended on here. I read it. I now recommend you read it. It's called "How to do everything and be happy".

carlywurly Fri 21-Feb-14 21:57:14

I did our 5 bed, 3 storey house, literally a wall at a time while the dcs were napping. It took about 2 months.
I stuck to neutrals throughout - dulux natural hessian is a fab neutral to go with everything.
I'd go for whites if I were redoing it now, but I'm back at work and can't be bothered. wink Go for it.

Alex1984 Sat 22-Feb-14 12:49:45

Ok!!! Green house is down! Not sure I could ever put it back up again but MIL says she might want it so she is welcome to undertake that task. DS just having a little rest and then we are going to go back into the garden for some digging, turns out there was a fence behind the greenhouse that needs to be taken down...not sure if DH is going to be pleased or cross. It always looks worse before it looks better right!?

AlpacaLypse Sat 22-Feb-14 12:54:10

My mum (who is always right, irritatinglysmile) told me never to do anything in the garden of a new house for the first year - apart from obvious things like mowing lawn, sweeping leaves etc. Just watch and see what comes through. You could have loads of bulbs and perennials waiting to come up.

pandarific Sat 22-Feb-14 14:05:56

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ is amazing for ideas, as well as lots of DIY tips, such as brown paper bag flooring (amazing).
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/diy-idea-brown-paper-bag-floor-125700

Have a ball OP. X

wonderingsoul Sat 22-Feb-14 14:50:50

i agree start ethier with the smallest or worse room. one room at a time. painting then get new carpets AFTER youv panited. if you need to replace them that is.

id say no to white.. esp with kids.. as it shows up marks REALLY well and doest keep the "clean" look for very long imo.

t3rr3gl35 Sat 22-Feb-14 16:48:51

Agree with AlpacaLypse. We moved into a new house last September and so far we have discovered potatoes and snowdrops in the garden and have daffodils, crocus and hyacinths ready to burst open in the next couple of weeks. Also big excitement to find primroses flowering in a border. Can't wait to see what else will spring up.

Pipbin Sat 22-Feb-14 17:39:27

I agree with Pandarific leave the garden for a year so you can see the plants you have and also how you use it.

For the moment I would rake the garden and make it safe for dc and leave sit at that.

As for the rest of the house, assuming you don't need a new kitchen or bathroom fitting, I would start with the living room as that is where you spend most of your time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now