Talk

Advanced search

AIBU re wedding gift?

(30 Posts)
RightHereNow Fri 21-Feb-14 14:31:27

My partner and I are getting married in the summer. A dear friend of ours who lives abroad cannot attend the wedding. We plan to spend a few weeks visiting a number of cities across Europe and one of those cities has been visited before by our friend. They have sent us details of a hotel there that they have stayed in before and offered to pay for a few nights there for us saying it is something they would love to get us.

It's a 5 star hotel and not cheap, and looks lovely and we could only ever dream of staying in a place like it, as could not afford to pay the price ourselves.

It's a kind and generous offer but something so unlike any other gift either of us have ever had before we don't know what the right thing to do is?!

AiBU to decline? Would that offend the friend? Or AIBU not to accept? We only asked for vouchers for a department store on the invite and even then, phrased it something like if people wished to get us gifts they could do so but the only thing we were asking for was for their company, so this is above and beyond anything we could ever have expected.

TheSumofUs Fri 21-Feb-14 14:33:12

I would decline on the basis that it is very expensive and I would not want to be beholden to that person

growingbytheday Fri 21-Feb-14 14:38:56

I would take it. They wouldn't offer if they couldn't afford it and they may feel guilty at not being able to attend your wedding so accept with grace! Anyway, they may have found a deal from where they live which works out cheaper than from heregrin

Modestandatinybitsexy Fri 21-Feb-14 14:43:49

I'd accept. You call this person a "dear friend" and they seem happy to do it. It's not something that you should feel you have to pay back - although the best relationships do have equal amount of give and take of thoughtful gifts, it doesn't always rely on monetary value.

On the other hand I don't think they'd be offended if you decline the gift.

MimiSunshine Fri 21-Feb-14 14:56:45

Accept it, they wouldn't offer if they didn't want to / couldn't afford it.

I know someone who did similar for their friend. I was shocked at the generosity (not because they aren't generous) but they said well we'd spend the same if not more on attending the wedding (travel, hotel, clothes, gift etc) and we really love the city the couple are going to and want them to have as good a time as possible.

Just reply saying that is in an incredibly generous offer and are they really sure? Then accept with good grace and send them a small present of thanks and a postcard from the hotel.

Joysmum Fri 21-Feb-14 15:01:12

I would say it looks lovely but that you can't afford the spending money/travel costs/meals/etc for the foreseeable future.

irregularegular Fri 21-Feb-14 15:03:39

Unless there is some back story here, I would accept it. It sounds to me like a lovely, unsolicited, generous and thoughtful gesture. I think they would be hurt if you turned it down.

MaidOfStars Fri 21-Feb-14 15:04:10

I would say it looks lovely but that you can't afford the spending money/travel costs/meals/etc for the foreseeable future

My understanding is that this is a honeymoon that the friend knows about?

OP, accept. They wouldn't have offered if they weren't willing to treat you. Take some lovely photos and send them one in the thank-you card.

Fannydabbydozey Fri 21-Feb-14 15:04:31

Accept. You won't be beholden to them as it's a gift, and a wonderful, thoughtful gift at that. They obviously put some thought into the offer and can afford it. For them, this is a gesture of their friendship. It's a beautiful gift because they love you. You will always be reminded of how your good friends made it possible for you to do this and it will have a special place in your heart forever.

Reply saying how lovely it is and how overwhelmed you are by their generosity. Then accept with pleasure.

Purplepoodle Fri 21-Feb-14 15:07:22

It would depend. If I knew my friend could afford the gift and it wasn't going to financially burden them then I would take the gift. They get to give you an amazing gift and you get to spend time with your friend.

Martorana Fri 21-Feb-14 15:07:35

Why on earth would you not accept? It's an incredibly thoughtful, lovely gift.

HazleNutt Fri 21-Feb-14 15:13:08

Of course you should accept, they would not offer if they could not afford it.

VerlaineChasedRimbauds Fri 21-Feb-14 15:14:13

Surely people don't offer gifts they can't afford? If you like them then accept graciously. People offering gifts like to know that they are appreciated.

TheListingAttic Fri 21-Feb-14 15:14:37

"Wow! Thank you so much! That place looks really swish! We'd be more than pleased with a single night there! Are you sure that's okay?"

And if they say "sure" lap it up!

They surely wouldn't offer unless they could afford it - so be thankful you have such lovely, generous, thoughtful friends, and enjoy!

Stridence Fri 21-Feb-14 15:18:28

Aw, OP, you sound lovely and humble and caring, which is probably how you attract such kind and magnanimous friends. Accept their gift graciously and have a wonderful time.

Laquitar Fri 21-Feb-14 15:22:36

Why decline a present??
Unless you knew that your friend is living on baked beans in order to give you the gift.
Are you sure they pay the full price? Maybe they have a discount?
I would accept it, thank them and send tbem a nice photo too or a post card from that city.

feathermucker Fri 21-Feb-14 23:52:16

I don't see the ptoblem at all tbh

LittleBearPad Fri 21-Feb-14 23:57:08

You won't be beholden to them. It's a gift, they want to get you. Accept it Qin the spirit in which it is given and enjoy it.

Supercosy Sat 22-Feb-14 00:06:20

What a lovely gift. I would accept it as an amazing present if, as others have said, you're sure they wouldn't be really overstretching themselves. I'm sure they know what they're doing and want to do something special for you both.

Quinteszilla Sat 22-Feb-14 00:08:20

Accept, because they want to share with you an experience, which I think to me at least is more valuable than anything that a department store could offer.

BackforGood Sat 22-Feb-14 00:12:34

Sounds like a lovely, thoughtful gift - as you say, from a dear friend.
They will know how much it costs and will have taken that into account before offering. I would accept it in the spirit in which it has been given, and thank them profusely. smile

AgentZigzag Sat 22-Feb-14 00:13:53

Accept it but only after questioning whether they're sure it's OK, it's a lovely gift and I'm sure they wouldn't have offered if they weren't sure.

You must mean a lot to them smile

RightHereNow Sat 22-Feb-14 01:54:03

Thanks all. To clarify our friend wouldn't be at the hotel too (gate crashing a honeymoon?!) - they just want to give it to us as a gift. I don't think its done out of wanting to buy friendship or somehow make us beholden of them - it's just so incredibly generous and unexpected and took us by surprise and we just want to ensure we do the right thing. I think we shall accept with extreme gratitude like most of you have advised and think of something special to send in return, maybe a favor from the wedding and a gift of some kind from here of all the things they may miss about this country, food, magazines etc.

fivefourtime Sat 22-Feb-14 03:16:26

Don't decline. It's an opportunity you might not get again.

Silvercatowner Sat 22-Feb-14 03:35:18

I bet they have put a lot of thought and planning into this amazing and lovely gift. If you turn it down you risk hurting your friends badly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now