Talk

Advanced search

To find this offensive

(419 Posts)
JingleMyBells Fri 21-Feb-14 14:03:35

As I was leaving my neurology appointment, I have epilepsy, the receptionist loudly said to her colleague "I nearly had a fit the other night when I saw the state of the house".

To me wrong in many ways. Firstly, wrong terminology secondly, demeaning to people who have SEIZURES, could be upsetting for those newly diagnosed plus just generally inappropriate.

JonSnowKnowsNothing Fri 21-Feb-14 14:04:42

It's a turn of phrase. It wasn't designed to upset. You sound like you were looking to be offended. YABU

gordyslovesheep Fri 21-Feb-14 14:05:02

I would assume she meant hissyfit - which is a well known term for a loss of temper

I think you are being a little over sensitive x

spongebob13 Fri 21-Feb-14 14:05:30

oh sweet jesus its just an expression!! ffs.

JingleMyBells Fri 21-Feb-14 14:06:20

I find it highly offensive and think she should remember where she is working. I was certainly not looking to be offended.

MikeLitoris Fri 21-Feb-14 14:06:33

How is it demeaning? Genuine question.

Probably a badly thought out comment but I don't see that it is offensive.

BigPawsBrown Fri 21-Feb-14 14:06:53

I don't think it's professional for a nurse in a neurology department to joke about fits. YANBU.

WeeClype Fri 21-Feb-14 14:06:57

YABU

jeez oh, everything these days offends someone

ArsePaste Fri 21-Feb-14 14:07:02

I have epilepsy. I frequently have "fits" at the state of things. It's nothing to do with my seizures, and I wouldn't have been offended.

That said, this was at your neurology clinic, so you might want to have a word with them about being a little more understanding regarding the issues of the patients surrounding them.

CoffeeTea103 Fri 21-Feb-14 14:07:19

Yabu, sorry but it's just an expression.

JingleMyBells Fri 21-Feb-14 14:07:35

So she was jerking around on the floor unable to speak and unconscious. Hmm.

YouStayClassySanDiego Fri 21-Feb-14 14:07:37

You were over sensitive , she didn't mean to offend you.

gordyslovesheep Fri 21-Feb-14 14:07:51

hissy fit - from the term 'hysterical fit of anger' - fit does not and never has solely referred to an epileptic seizure - so sorry, yabu

JeanSeberg Fri 21-Feb-14 14:08:16

I find it highly offensive

As the great Stephen Fry famously said "So fucking what".

spongebob13 Fri 21-Feb-14 14:08:26

I often here "god almighty it drives me mental"! I suffer depression and attend counselling. should I be offended?

curiousgeorgie Fri 21-Feb-14 14:08:43

YABU, you knew what she meant and its a perfectly acceptable turn of phrase.

ArsePaste Fri 21-Feb-14 14:08:46

^"So she was jerking around on the floor unable to speak and unconscious. Hmm."

Not all seizures are like this. Mine aren't.

Martorana Fri 21-Feb-14 14:08:56

Under the circumstances- there is obviously a training need.

Under any other circumstances- just an expression.

Sarahschuster Fri 21-Feb-14 14:09:15

I've had depression. If somebody at a doctor's surgery said "I was so depressed about the state of my house", I would not find it at all offensive. It is a turn of phrase, as is "having a fit".

AnnabelleLee Fri 21-Feb-14 14:09:21

If its the wrong terminology how does it relate to you at all?
I have a son with epilepsy, I don't find it offensive. A) because he doesn't have "fits", he has seizures, so its obviously an entirely different word which is unrelated to his epilepsy and b) everyone knows this colloquial usage as its a long established one.

Plus what is demeaning about it anyway? hmm Epilepsy is not something to be ashamed of, merely a neurological difference.

spongebob13 Fri 21-Feb-14 14:09:36

ok now you sound unhinged with your last comment. eyeroll

FoxesRevenge Fri 21-Feb-14 14:09:57

YABU

There are all kinds of 'fits'. Fits of laughter for example.

JingleMyBells Fri 21-Feb-14 14:10:04

Well I was offended and that is what matters

HyvaPaiva Fri 21-Feb-14 14:10:13

So she was jerking around on the floor unable to speak and unconscious. Hmm.

hmm FFS.

She was using an IDIOM. Are you always this literal? Your username suggests that you understand wordplay and non-literal use of language. Your reaction makes you sound like you look for opportunities to be offended.

Saucia Fri 21-Feb-14 14:10:25

Nothing more than a foot in mouth situation because of where she was. Fit has more than one meaning, if she had used the word seizure it would have been insensitive, but she didn’t.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now