Talk

Advanced search

To cancel my gym membership?

(98 Posts)
serenshiningstar Thu 20-Feb-14 22:55:50

I hardly ever go so this should not be an issue.

Except it means I will do NO exercise as opposed to the small amount I do now! grin

Aibu to cancel!?

TeenageAdvice15 Thu 20-Feb-14 23:00:24

No. You have to keep it so you can say you have a membership to the gym. you don't actually have to go

eightandthreequarters Thu 20-Feb-14 23:00:28

You should exercise, that's what you should do. It's good for your body and great for your mind. If it's not happening for you in the gym, then you need another plan. So cancel the membership, but figure out what exercise sounds fun and likely to happen.

What do you like to do, or what might you like to try? Walking? Judo? Swimming? Yoga? Cycling? Anything?

WitchWay Thu 20-Feb-14 23:02:21

Hate the gym yawn so tedious. Cancel & find other stuff to keep you active - outdoor things always appeal to me more - hiking & cycling especially. Especially cycling really. smile

serenshiningstar Thu 20-Feb-14 23:02:29

Teenage haha! True!

Eight - highway to nothing there. Exercise is not fun. Not for me!

expatinscotland Thu 20-Feb-14 23:03:54

Cancel it. Spend the savings on food! smile

Borntorun25 Thu 20-Feb-14 23:05:39

What about going for a run instead? Much cheaper, fresh air, much more interesting. There are usually local groups that cater for all abilities if you prefer not to go alone. Also check out www.parkrun.org.uk, brilliant way to start regular exercise, very friendly and great start to weekend.

No point in wasting pennies on rarely used gym, spend them on some running shoes instead grin

expatinscotland Thu 20-Feb-14 23:06:49

Gawd, running is even more boring.

Chocotrekkie Thu 20-Feb-14 23:07:30

I very occasionally use the council run one - it's £3 a session with no monthly fees or joining fees or anything. Is there anything like that in your area ?

serenshiningstar Thu 20-Feb-14 23:08:55

Run <snort> I am terrible at running, could never do it even at school. I was ok with netball and hockey where it was run, stop, run, but just running - I can't do it! Wish I could! I always look at joggers with awe from my car

MoonlightandRoses Thu 20-Feb-14 23:09:27

YANBU - breathing in other peoples' recycled sweat cannot be healthy.

serenshiningstar Thu 20-Feb-14 23:09:34

Probably choco but I'd never go if I had to physically hand over cash grin

WitchWay Thu 20-Feb-14 23:10:04

I can't run either - really crap, legs go all over the place, at it esp on a treadmill - as soon as I let go I fall off blush

serenshiningstar Thu 20-Feb-14 23:10:38

I get a stitch after about a minute and have to stop!

Chocotrekkie Thu 20-Feb-14 23:13:13

I only went once to be honest - but it seems like a good option. grin

I might go next week <<but will probably go for cake instead>>

mumminio Thu 20-Feb-14 23:19:08

My experience: I used to hate exercise too, until I got a personal trainer and started to enjoy it.

Some ideas...
1. Save the gym money and join a couch-to-5k.
2. Save up the money which would have gone on gym membership, and hire a personal trainer when you saved up enough.
3. Save the money and do home workouts. I'm doing P90X on Xbox One, and it is great because you can see the outline of yourself on the screen, next to the video of the trainer, and it even shows you which muscles are working hard, gives you tips to get the right techniques etc. There are also lots of free workouts, like http://neilarey.com/workouts.html and bodyrock.tv
4. Keep paying and go with a friend, the idea being that you can keep each other motivated/committed to at least turning up!
5. Keep paying and do different exercises - swimming? A lot of gyms offer one free personal training session...use it if available, and them to show you a fun routine.

Good luck and stay healthy smile

daisychain01 Thu 20-Feb-14 23:22:02

How about swimming, you could just pay as you go.

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Thu 20-Feb-14 23:22:33

YABU to think that you need a gym membership to exercise and have been given lots of alternatives.

serenshiningstar Thu 20-Feb-14 23:23:20

Ugh, I hate swimming! Sorry!

Mumminio, kudos for trying but none of those appeal, even remotely, sorry!

serenshiningstar Thu 20-Feb-14 23:24:25

I know I have been given alternatives, I just don't like any of them!

With the gym, I feel I have to go occasionally sometimes because I pay for it.

But if I wasn't paying for something I'd never do anything!

Borntorun25 Thu 20-Feb-14 23:30:15

shock running is great! Nothing I love better. Start small, walk a bit, jog a bit, soon builds up. I never thought I would take to it but I'm evangelical now can you tell? . And if you really hate it just think how good it will feel when you stop grin

Mall walking was quite a big thing in USA for a while, and can fit in a bit of shopping too. I've always fancied trying to go up the down escalator for a bit of extra exercise , never tried it though blush

serenshiningstar Thu 20-Feb-14 23:34:00

Yeah, I really can't - just not something I've ever been able to do, at all - seriously, I have to stop, gasping after a minute, and I'm not desperately unfit either.

Borntorun25 Thu 20-Feb-14 23:45:30

Roller skates? My DSis started doing this in her 40s as she hates all forms of exercise and finds it great fun, although she is a bit limited by finding suitable surfaces and nearby walls to hang onto at first. Her DP got some too and now they go out together.

serenshiningstar Thu 20-Feb-14 23:48:12

I'd be terrible at it! grin I'm just not really into exercise.

sydlexic Thu 20-Feb-14 23:55:21

I asked my DS if I should cancel my gym membership his reply was only if you love your abs so much you want to protect them with layers of fat.

I keep deciding I will not cancel but go, only I never do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now