Talk

Advanced search

To ask whether you kept your baby same room as you for all naps until 6 months?

(107 Posts)
Hotmad Thu 20-Feb-14 22:12:58

It's so confusing to know what's best to do, DD is nearly 3 months and her usual bedtime she fell into is 7pm (ish) and she usually sleeps in fr room with us until we go to bed at 11pm (ish) now usually she settles well in cot at 11 but before that she sleeps but can wake up and fidget more so I wonder if noise and lights bother or disrupt her. But I would never want to put her in a room if guidance says not to as obviously must be for a reason.
Just wonder the general consensus of what others do or did?
I read somewhere that the reason is because they forget to breathe if left alone to sleep before 6 months??? Is that true?

Sleepyhead33 Thu 20-Feb-14 22:16:02

yep, I did. I am a complete worrier though so it was easier for me than having to worry.
daytime naps downstairs.
Up to bed at 7pm and I went with them ( both times). Tbh, I was breastfeeding so was doing all night feeds myself so going to bed at 7pm was fine really.

I know it isn't for everyone and all my NCT group though I was mad so I didn't really mention it to RL friends!

Sanch1 Thu 20-Feb-14 22:19:49

Until 4.5 months. Then we put her up to bed in our room at 7pm with a video monitor, as I was disturbing her lifting her to bed when we went up. Day naps were still downstairs with me. At 5.5 months she went in her own room for naps and night time. Official guidelines are 6 months. Do what you want and are comfortable with.

SoonToBeSix Thu 20-Feb-14 22:20:30

Yes I did , and will do when my twins are born. I could never forgive myself if I ignored the SIDS guidelines and the worst happened. I also have never found it a problem having baby sleep downstairs then wake for a feed and up to their cot,

SS3J Thu 20-Feb-14 22:21:04

Yes, I also follow the guidelines obsessively. Couldn't forgive myself if something happened and I hadn't, however rare it is. Yes, the reason is that being near the parent means they hear their breathing and it regulates the baby's. It's only for a few months, I would try to keep her close.

bsmirched Thu 20-Feb-14 22:21:26

We did. It's to do with being around others helps them to regulate their breathing. I think it's a small risk, and there'll be plenty of people telling you their LOs were in their own rooms from birth etc but I'm one of those who, once the possibility is in my head, couldn't live with the possibility!

Hotmad Thu 20-Feb-14 22:21:54

Where do your babies sleep downstairs too? My one won't go in Moses basket anymore as too big!

SoonToBeSix Thu 20-Feb-14 22:22:05

And yes the reason is that baby will regulate their breathing to yours , something they can't do if just being watched on a monitor.

SoonToBeSix Thu 20-Feb-14 22:23:21

I had a travel cot/ playpen with a bassinet to sleep in downstairs.

goldenlula Thu 20-Feb-14 22:23:32

I didn't. I didn't really realise I should tbh with da1, with ds2 he was miserable all evening, over tired, dozing off and then waking up screaming and crying. When he was about 9 weeks old I was desperate and put him upstairs in his crib after his 7pmish bottle, he fell straight to sleep and woke at my bedtime at about 10ish for a bottle. We were keeping him awake downstairs and he couldn't settle (either that or he had had enough of my company by then). I still hadn't really realised that they should be with you all the time anyway. With dd, it just seemed natural to do as I had with both ds'. That said, she was the only one to stay in our room until gone 6 months due to the fact she was the only one that fitted the crib for that length of time. We have no room for a cot in our bed and for various reasons bed sharing was not an option.

dietcokeandwine Thu 20-Feb-14 22:25:40

No, not after the first month or so. After that they didn't sleep well downstairs with us and so they were upstairs for all naps unless they fell asleep in the buggy or carseat.

We had them in our room overnight until 4m, but they were upstairs from about 7/8pm until we went to bed around 11pm. Once they were 4m we moved them to their own rooms overnight, mainly because they'd outgrown the moses basket and we wouldn't have been able to fit the cot into our bedroom.

You have to do what you feel comfortable with. For me, that was minimising the risk as far as seemed 'doable'. I am not an obsessive rule follower or risk avoider though.

DipMeInChocolate Thu 20-Feb-14 22:26:22

I didn't, when they were really small, the moses basket stayed downstairs during the day, it was easier than keep traipsing upstairs to settle them. They were both in their own rooms by 12w though.

Sleepyhead33 Thu 20-Feb-14 22:27:24

I wish I had been on here then. Everyone made me feel as if I was mad and over protective!
I was the same school of thought as you Bsmirched, that once it was in my head I couldn't have lived with myself if I ignored it and the worst did happen.

SpanielFace Thu 20-Feb-14 22:29:19

No, from about 12 weeks he was in his Moses basket in our bedroom. We have cats, and it seemed safer for him to be in the cat-free bedroom with the door shut and monitor on, rather than me having to sit and watch obsessively for cat-sneaking-into-cosy-basket!

Thymeout Thu 20-Feb-14 22:29:37

Well, admittedly, when I had my 3, the guidance was that they slept in their own room - if you had one - from when they came home from the hospital. (And to put them down on their fronts.)

I accept that there must have been research to show that babies who slept in the same room as their parents were marginally less likely to succumb to SIDS but during the daytime, too? This seems to be taking things too far. Surely you wouldn't be sitting next to them all the time. Sometimes you'd be in another room, cleaning the kitchen or bathroom? Has there actually been any research on this?

I'd put her down to sleep in your room at her bedtime and really not worry about it. From what I understand, they still don't know what causes SIDS, so the 'forget to breathe' thing might be a complete red herring.

thenamestheyareachanging Thu 20-Feb-14 22:30:31

Mine didn'gt really have defined naps as small babies, really. They slept when they slept, usually in a sling. But once they did start to nap after lunch and not other times, I put them in a moses basket in the next room. They slept in my bedroom (the third slept in my bed) for the first year or so - it was easier because I was breastfeeding not to have to get up in the night.

AnythingNotEverything Thu 20-Feb-14 22:30:35

DDbis 17 weeks and is with me for all naps except for bedtime, as we've just started to put her to bed between 8 and 9, and we go to bed between 10 and 11.

She was dozing with us but she's fall Ito a really deep sleep at 8 ish and be absolutely devastated when we inevitably woke her up when we went to bed.

I looked carefully at all the risk factors for SIDS. We breastfeed, we share a room, we don't smoke etc etc, and the final risk to consider was that incidence of SIDS is highest between 2 and 4 months. Once we got to four months we felt comfortable with her going up to bed alone.

I was a little worried of we left it longer she'd stop settling and sleeping as well due to the disturbance of being moved.

You need to do what you're comfortable with.

FrogsGoWhat Thu 20-Feb-14 22:30:53

Dd2 sleeps in her sling for naps as I am usually out with the toddler somewhere, in the evening she sleeps on my lap mainly. Dd1 would only sleep on me until she was about 10 months so same story....

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Thu 20-Feb-14 22:31:40

not but we are in a bungalow and our room where ds is, is across the hall from the living room and we have a monitor that we can hear. don't know what we will do if we move when hopefully having another baby.

i think ds was about 2 months when we started it as we realised he was still sleeping when we were going to bed and ended up waking him up putting him to bed.

thenamestheyareachanging Thu 20-Feb-14 22:32:22

Oh, I did put them to bed in our bedroom and not go to bed at the same time myself, once they had a bedtime which was a few months old. I didn't go to bed at 7pm unless I was exceptionally exhausted!

bella411 Thu 20-Feb-14 22:34:04

Daytime naps dd was downstairs with me, as wanted crib n cot to be the difference between day and night, so not for sids reasoning. Night time from day 1 in her crib with monitor on from 7pm, though I went to bed about 9/10ish.

Also dd went in own room from 9 weeks as she had outgrown crib and we all slept better. Though again her room n cot backs on to our room and with both doors open we can hear each other snoring.

Imo, it's looking at the research and working out what your comfortable with doing. You will worry either way about it whether they're in the room with you or not.

BocaDeTrucha Thu 20-Feb-14 22:34:56

No. Until about 2.5 months he slept downstairs with us then we brought him up to our room when we went to bed. Then we got a monitor and put him in our room from straight after his last feed in a crib and he's been just fine. Where I live there's no NCT so no guidelines which say they should be in the same room.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 20-Feb-14 22:36:18

Yes always.

I think during the day isn't such an issue, because the house isn't so quiet. If you are in and out of the room and busy doing things then they aren't going to fall into such a deep sleep where they will forget to breathe.

Ours always napped downstairs in the evening and then came up to bed with us.

FloppyPoppyCocky Thu 20-Feb-14 22:38:42

Yes. Was downstairs with me or DH for all naps and never left alone to sleep for the first 6 months. Once I knew the facts on SIDS there was no way I could go against them.

mymatemax Thu 20-Feb-14 22:45:37

god no! Ds1 was a noisy grunty wriggler, tried him in the moses basket in our room for a few weeks but none of us got any sleep so ended up putting his moses basket in his cot in his room.. we all slept much better.
Daytime naps we tended to lay him in his pram for the first few weeks until he started to become more aware & nosy & then he went upstairs for naps.
We did use a baby monitor though.
DS2 was different, in hospital a long while, very poorly & home on continual monitoring/alarm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now