Talk

Advanced search

to think it's ok to start a thread about things teenagers don't say but if you did it about the elderly, you'd get slated!!

(14 Posts)
itshardthinkingofanickname Thu 20-Feb-14 20:10:39

I like the teenager thread. I know it's tounge in cheek and I can see DS being like that soon.

But if you did one for the elderly, you'd get slated.

Even though I bet people could say a lot of things which would be funny.

Maybe I could try it and see the reaction grin

LEMmingaround Thu 20-Feb-14 20:20:49

Oh no you wouldn't go for it

olidusUrsus Thu 20-Feb-14 20:35:45

I fucking hate it when people (and it's always old people) say nowadays. I have a 20 yo friend who uses it despairingly about the yooves of today and it ages her to about 90.

itshardthinkingofanickname Thu 20-Feb-14 20:37:14

"When I was your age".

But I say that a lot grin

RustyBear Thu 20-Feb-14 20:41:50

I fucking hate it when people (and it's always old people) say nowadays. I have a 20 yo friend who uses it....

So it's not always old people then.... confused

olidusUrsus Thu 20-Feb-14 20:43:38

She's 20 but she's old

Minnieisthedevilmouse Thu 20-Feb-14 20:45:26

My dad is in awe of our dd (3) who merrily flicks about on the iPad.

He still can't work the video.

Mintyy Thu 20-Feb-14 20:50:08

I mostly think old people rock, but then I am closer to being old than being young.

I don't blame them for being nostalgic. They are just thinking back to times when they were younger, fitter and not plagued by aches and pains and all their friends and relatives dying.

I definitely feel old when I consider what some young people think is cool or enjoyable NOWADAYS!!! grin.

olidusUrsus Fri 21-Feb-14 00:47:08

GAH

missingmumxox Fri 21-Feb-14 03:12:39

I love the way my grandad used language my fave was when he discribed a large lady as capacious, I laughed and laughed at it.
My d grandad hated skinny ladies felt they had not been looked after and my gran was er capacious, he hoovered he ironed he was a lovely man died at Christmas and I miss him x

KepekCrumbs Fri 21-Feb-14 03:28:36

There's a great big thread in classics about in-laws/parents and the weird things they do which is pretty funny but also makes me, as an older woman and a mil, feel rather sad and past it at times.

As you get older you can feel so much less vital and necessary. No wonder you hark back to the time when you were the centre of your beloved children's world and your family buzzed with life.

Although to be honest most of us would be horrified if we had to return to a time of sleepless nights, other people's constant needs and very little freedom to follow chosen pursuits.

coralanne Fri 21-Feb-14 03:53:58

I hate the way old people push in front of you and pretend they don't know they are doing it.

I hate the way old people feel they can look you up and down and say "You're getting a bit fat""

No it's not honesty, it's bloody rude

Chottie Fri 21-Feb-14 04:41:50

I think being 'old' is a state of mind and not the number of years you have lived.

One of the great things about MN is that unless you say, no one knows how old you are or whether you are a man or woman.

I personally find older people really interesting. I love hearing about their childhoods and how they were brought up and how things that were the norm are a big no-no now.

Regarding older people pushing in, can't you just say 'there's a back to this queue love', that's what they would say if you pushed in front of them. But, I tend to let an older person or someone with a buggy get on the bus before me anyway. They need a little more time and space and also need a seat more than me.

KepekCrumbs Fri 21-Feb-14 05:50:52

Oh come on you're as likely to be queue barged by youth as old age. Same with being called fat. Neither of which I would dream of doing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now