Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed with tonight's "arrangements"

(12 Posts)
meikyo Thu 20-Feb-14 20:08:34

Old friends of DP have arranged to come to us for dinner and overnight stay with their DC. Its half term for them but not for us. We were all out at work/school today. I have not met any of them before. We agreed they would get here for 7.30 and we would all have dinner.

Instead they have gone to a movie and won't get here til 8.30.... Apparently they texted DP earlier in evening but he didn't look at phone until almost 7pm. We are hungry but have decided to wait until they arrive to eat.

I expected to spend the evening with them and now it will be almost 9 before we sit down. We all have work/school again tomorrow so our DC will need to go to bed soon....aibu to be a bit annoyedhmm

Calloh Thu 20-Feb-14 20:11:03

YANBU - it is rude to change supper arrangements like that. Do they know your dc are not on half term?

MissHobart Thu 20-Feb-14 20:13:48

YANBU - this is really rude of them, I'd be fuming if I was expecting guests and they fucked off to the cinema instead, it sounds like they're treating your house as a free b&b! What time are they leaving tomorrow? Or will they have free run of the house whilst you're at work/school?

WhoNickedMyName Thu 20-Feb-14 20:15:19

Well you agreed to it so its too late to moan about it now.

Personally I'd have eaten at 7.30 as planned, they'd be getting offered a piece of toast and I'd take myself off upstairs for a bath and bed, leaving your DP, who presumably agreed to the overnight visit, to get on with it.

YoureBeingASillyBilly Thu 20-Feb-14 20:15:51

I would never have agreed to a midweek visit whilst you all had school and work.

HenriettaPie Thu 20-Feb-14 20:16:52

Agree- your house seems to be their free b&b

LynetteScavo Thu 20-Feb-14 20:23:29

I bet when they turn up they will already have eaten.

Very rude of them to turn up so late on a school night. Make sure you are in bed by 10 pm to make a point!

pamelat Thu 20-Feb-14 20:29:12

I would have replied saying tht they could do as they please but that id have to eat and sort kids to bed for school.

DoJo Thu 20-Feb-14 20:30:52

I hope you are opening the door to them now, because lateness would just compound their rudeness!

ToootSweet Thu 20-Feb-14 20:31:37

You've chosen to wait till they get there to eat, why?
That doesn't make sense when you have dcs.

pamelat Thu 20-Feb-14 20:36:45

Id only let family or close friends use us as a free b&b

mumminio Thu 20-Feb-14 21:05:04

Your children shouldn't go hungry just because those idiots don't know how to behave! Feed the kids, follow their normal routine and get them to bed.

You and your husband can wait and eat with the guests, if you want to. Definitely say something when they arrive, not rude but let them know you noticed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now