Talk

Advanced search

'Bitter'

(10 Posts)
Twinkleandbunty Thu 20-Feb-14 17:48:34

AIBU to hate this word?
It always seems to be used about women in terms of a character trait, and is used quite regularly on some threads as a put down to other women.
I've seen it on a few threads recently and it's getting on my tits.

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 20-Feb-14 17:50:51

I thought this was going to be about the type of ale, which i think is utterly revolting.

I see it as a unisex insult really. The people I describe as much are both men.

Not on here though, in rl.

WorraLiberty Thu 20-Feb-14 17:51:15

Well some people are very bitter and it clouds the rest of there lives moving forward.

I have to say though, it's not my experience that it's always used about women.

Perhaps it is on MN because it's a predominately female board, but in real life it's not ime.

Twinkleandbunty Thu 20-Feb-14 17:52:55

Hehe, probably should have said 'not beer or citrus fruit'.
I rarely hear of men being described as bitter, mostly women. Maybe it's just Mumsnet forums!

WorraLiberty Thu 20-Feb-14 17:58:28

It might be just MN

I've often heard men described as 'a bitter old drunk' or a 'bitter old fool'

DustyBaubles Thu 20-Feb-14 17:59:34

Oho! If you were in the lab I work in not five minutes ago, you'd have heard a huddle of people discussing the bitterness of a disgruntled group head.

He's definitely male, but bitter to the core. I think his ego is just too fragile for a career in science, and he takes it out on the greener students.

QueenofKelsingra Thu 20-Feb-14 18:06:11

it is a very good descriptive word for some women. it suits my MIL very well.

it would be rare for me to call a man bitter I admit. I tend to associate it with people who are a)still resentful/pissed off about something from a long time ago (MIL, divorce) or people with a particularly sharp tongue saying something out of line.

fascicle Thu 20-Feb-14 18:09:45

I have a real thing about bitter too, although I haven't noticed it being applied to women more than men. It's kind of onomatopoeic, which probably contributes to its unpleasantness.

Innogen Thu 20-Feb-14 19:01:52

I think bitterness is gender free. I've met just as many men bitter about their life events as women.

KingR0llo Thu 20-Feb-14 19:04:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now