Talk

Advanced search

to want to live in Waterstones?

(29 Posts)
FoxesRevenge Thu 20-Feb-14 14:47:28

I spent my lunch hour in there today. I could have just curled up for the rest of the afternoon with a good book and a glass of wine. There are soooo many books I want to read but not enough hours in the day!

Thisismyfirsttime Thu 20-Feb-14 14:48:55

The smell, the feel of the brand new spines. The variety, the BOOKS!
I'm with you!

PatriciaHolm Thu 20-Feb-14 14:50:29

You can have Waterstones if I can have Blackwells...

newestbridearound Thu 20-Feb-14 14:50:44

I used to work there for a bit after uni. When the shop was quiet I always wished I could just lounge in the armchair and flick through all the wonderful books, but unsurprisingly I wasn't allowed to! I rarely buy from there now since I find it is cheaper to buy online or go to the library, but I still love going in for a mooch and a coffee.

LouiseSmith Thu 20-Feb-14 15:17:29

YADNB - the only way DP is allowed to get the 6ft fish tank he's been On About is if I get a library in the house smile x

issimma Thu 20-Feb-14 15:18:28

Yanbu. I used to work there, and it was the best job ever apart from pay. Was my second home grin.

MojitoMadness Thu 20-Feb-14 15:21:02

YANBU I would love to have a library in my house.

Beeyump Thu 20-Feb-14 15:24:49

YANBU! I'm heading to Waterstones after work today for an hour or so of deep delight among the delicious books grin I CAN'T WAIT.

Beeyump Thu 20-Feb-14 15:26:57

I bought this last time I was in. Classic example of being won over by the atmosphere of Waterstones and not waiting to get it much cheaper online...

FoxesRevenge Thu 20-Feb-14 15:34:11

I've just bought 'The Book Thief'. I want to read it before the film is realeased.

SeaSickSal Thu 20-Feb-14 15:43:10

I used to work there while I was at uni.

Best job ever. Lots of shagging and drinking among staff.

SeaSickSal Thu 20-Feb-14 15:43:45

I used to work there while I was at uni.

Best job ever. Lots of shagging and drinking among staff.

FoxesRevenge Thu 20-Feb-14 15:43:56

grin SeaSickSal

SeaSickSal Thu 20-Feb-14 15:44:01

Often during working hours....

Kasterborous Thu 20-Feb-14 15:45:26

Yes it would be my idea of heaven.

Kasterborous Thu 20-Feb-14 15:46:39

So no YANBU at all smile

Beeyump Thu 20-Feb-14 15:53:41

Drinking and shagging among Waterstones staff?? shock

Beeyump Thu 20-Feb-14 15:54:20

DURING WORKING HOURS? <fans self> Well, this is altering my cosy image of the place a wee bit.

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Thu 20-Feb-14 16:01:12

PatriciaHolm did you know that the Blackwell's philosphy, when it was truly a family firm, was that customers should be allowed to browse all day if they wanted, and never be hassled to actually buy something?

Waterstones is lovely, too, but Blackwell's in Oxford is fantastic. I've seen so many people go down the steps to the Norrington Room and then just gasp in amazement. (It's the biggest room of books for sale in the country, if not the world, and goes down in tiers underground, for those who don't know it.)

PatriciaHolm Thu 20-Feb-14 16:09:26

Yes Middle - I went to Oxford University in 89-92, so back when the Oxford branch was the only one! I'll live in that one please ;-)

I remember my parents seeing the Norrington room for the first time and being stunned. I could have moved in then and never moved out!

Coumarin Thu 20-Feb-14 16:28:22

There are no decent Bookshops near me. The closest Waterstones is a 45 minute drive away. <feel sorry for me face>

Waterstones smells lovely. It has a very laid back feel doesn't it?

I used to spend hours in Border's too. I was gutted when they all closed down. The one I went to was enormous with a cafe and huge squidgy chairs everywhere. I loved it.

TheRealAmandaClarke Thu 20-Feb-14 16:41:37

Yaddnbu. It's fab

FatherReboolaConundrum Thu 20-Feb-14 16:49:19

I went to the Piccadilly Waterstone's for the first time recently. It's Europe's largest bookshop. It has a cocktail bar. Is there any better combination than that anywhere on the planet? I think not.

5Foot5 Thu 20-Feb-14 16:59:35

Middle Last Spring I was one of those people gasping in astonishment when I went downstairs in Blackwells. It is fab isn't it? We spent ages (and could have spent a fortune).

Having said that I do love a browse in Waterstones and always think the staff are so nice and helpful. Am astonished at SeaSickSal! The people working in our local one seem so nice, polite and middle class - now I have got this picture in my head of what they might be up to when they disappear into the back room!!!

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Thu 20-Feb-14 22:03:32

Ooh, I think I need to have a trip to Blackwell's again! It's a pity their Secondhand department has been made so much smaller, but a wander round the Rare Books department always fascinates me - not that I've ever bought anything from there.

I actually know someone who's slept there overnight but nobodylives there now. The Blackwell family used to live literally over the shop a couple of generations ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now