Talk

Advanced search

to think that car seart manufacturers should make their seats SAFELY in most cars. GRACO EVO.

(7 Posts)
fluffyraggies Thu 20-Feb-14 12:10:30

angry

Bought a graco evo travel system through mother care in the summer, ready for baby due last month. Pushchair, carry cot, and 'newborn to 1 year' car seat and base. Checked it all - car seat and base easy to fit in car, pushchair fitted in boot. All good.

Baby DD is now 3 weeks old. We have taken her out in the car twice and both times we've been worried about how 'upright' the car seat is. Her little head lolls forward sad

Been online and low and behold we're not the only ones with this problem. Basically it seems there's lots of makes of car with which this damn seat is not compatible for a newborn, as it wont recline far enough. Advice says there should be a fingers width space between a new baby's chin and chest, other wise breathing problems can ensue. 45 degrees is the preferred angle for a car seat. This seat is nowhere near that.

Online advice (even on the graco site) it to stuff towels under the seat base to shift the angle hmm. I've tried this and it does raise the foot of the seat up a little, but the fit doesn't seem as snug as the whole balance of the base is off. Surely this cant be right?

Having researched online i've also learned that there's a safety issue called 'buckle crunch' when a car seat belt clip rests inside the frame of a base. Without the towels stuffed under this base, the angle of it means the clip of the seat belt does indeed rest inside the frame. With the towel the clip rests outside.

Not good is it?

For info. i drive a BMW 3 series.

quietbatperson Thu 20-Feb-14 12:36:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Waltonswatcher1 Thu 20-Feb-14 13:35:03

Take it back and moan like hell .
The makers recommend shoving towels under it ?! No way in hell would I put my baby in it .
In my experience that shop gave me awful advice ,luckily I sniffed a lie and left empty handed .
I went to an independent car safety centre and bought a rear facing til 4 one .
If all else fails,sell the travel system and buy a seat and a pushchair . It's too risky .

specialsubject Thu 20-Feb-14 14:02:08

take it back, moan, get money back, buy a different one. What an annoying time waster.

callmewhatever Thu 20-Feb-14 15:15:47

I believe YABU to expect the companies to design a seat that fits in most cars. Car seats are very different, the angle and design can mean one seat will fit but another won't. Car seat bases again have the same problems.

YWNBU to go in to the store that sold it, the customer service advisor should have seen the issue before selling it. Benefit of doubt that it was difficult to tell and problem only realised when baby in car seat, would hate to think someone would sell an unsafe seat.

Hope you get it sorted smile .

babybearsmummy Thu 20-Feb-14 16:29:07

I had a Graco carseat and base at one point when my l.g was tiny and we had the same problem when clipping it into the base, so we used it without the base (you could also use it with the seat belt rather than the base) until we got a new one

If I were you, I'd take it back for a refund if you can. Lots of luck

fluffyraggies Thu 20-Feb-14 17:57:33

'unfit for purpose' is exactly it! I cant believe the thing about the towels either. I didn't think it would be worth pursuing a refund - but perhaps i will.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now