Talk

Advanced search

to ask teenager girl next door

(32 Posts)
crashbangboom Thu 20-Feb-14 09:49:55

To ask whoever it is throwing cigarette buts over our fence to stop it.

Or shall I talk to her mother.

There are several. Landed on and another Wendy house. Its annoying and not what I want to clean up or let my toddlers pick up when playing!

Tabliope Thu 20-Feb-14 09:53:50

Either throw them back or go round and speak to whoever answers the door. Tough if it's the mother and not the girl.

sheriffofnottingham Thu 20-Feb-14 09:57:35

throw them back under cover of darkness. smile

DoJo Thu 20-Feb-14 09:58:01

I would go a little further and insist that they stopped! But YADNBU for addressing the matter.

littleblackno Thu 20-Feb-14 10:03:49

Definatly throw them back, preferably all in one go.
if it doesn't stop then go round and speak to them.

Beastofburden Thu 20-Feb-14 10:05:53

I would collect a week's worth and give them to her in a bag.

tell her if you get any more you will give the next bag to her mother.

if her mother doesn't care, get your toddler to deliver the next bag.

MostlyMama Thu 20-Feb-14 10:06:24

yanbu bet it is her!

limitedperiodonly Thu 20-Feb-14 10:09:34

Do what tabliope said.

The girl may even thank you in the end for giving her a lesson in hiding her illicit habits a bit better.

MyNameIsKenAdams Thu 20-Feb-14 10:12:21

Post them through the letterbox.

Fontofnowt Thu 20-Feb-14 10:13:46

Ask her Mam if she is having a cheeky ciggie, in a friendly conspiring way.
Grassing the daughter up in the process.
Years ago I lived next door to a drug addict who thoughtfully threw his sharps into my garden to avoid blocking the drain and endangering his toddler.
Didn't carry the thought through that my toddler may also dislike used needles.

FuckyNell Thu 20-Feb-14 10:14:15

I'd knock and speak to them. Teenagers are notoriously unthoughtful so it hopefully will do the trick.

If it's the mother, well then she should know better grin

halfwildlingwoman Thu 20-Feb-14 10:16:18

I had this with next-doors son. That and liberal use of the C-word. I had a word with his step-mum and when that didn't work I started throwing them back.

teenagetantrums Thu 20-Feb-14 10:20:37

As the mother of a teenage girl I wouldn't mind if you spoke to her,she would be really sorry and make all the right noises, but would probably forget within 10mins. To be honest some teenagers just don't think, mind you i would appreciate it if you gave me the heads up that she was smoking as well.

BobPatSamandIgglePiggle Thu 20-Feb-14 10:22:20

What beast said

drnoitall Thu 20-Feb-14 10:22:27

This makes my blood boil.
I'm not scaremongering here.
This really happened
My house was destroyed by fire a few years back.
Unliveable for 12 months
All evidence points to stray cigarette that I'm certain came from our teenage neighbour, I had spoken to the parents before when the disguarded cigarette ends left burn marks.
I realise we were very very unlucky, but it does happen.
You must say something.

everlong Thu 20-Feb-14 10:27:23

Ask the mother.

adeucalione Thu 20-Feb-14 10:40:40

I think you're more likely to get a teenager to stop doing something by gritting your teeth and asking nicely.

eatyourveg Thu 20-Feb-14 10:45:07

I would collect them up, go around to the door and give them to whoever answers the door - if you are sure they belong to the daughter and its the daughter who answers the door, I would say something along the lines of, please could you get rid of these or would you prefer I gave them to your mother?

NollaigShona Thu 20-Feb-14 10:47:59

We had this too. They were flicking finished cigarettes over our fence and if I had washing out occasionally an item would get hit. Once I found a burn mark on a top. We moved.

crashbangboom Thu 20-Feb-14 17:09:50

Just knocked and no reply!

Think I'll tell the mother. It could actually be her older daughter who visits too.

We are about to put play bark chipping down in area so don't want to picking buts out

lunar1 Thu 20-Feb-14 17:38:19

I'd be knocking and asking them to come and pick them up, no way would I be doing it!

handcream Thu 20-Feb-14 18:12:53

I canot believe people can be so rude...Who teenager or not thinks its acceptable to throw their rubbish over the fence. What if someone came into their room and started leaving old bits of food and sweet wrappers in their. I am sure they wouldnt find that acceptable

Greenrememberedhills Thu 20-Feb-14 18:18:30

Oh PLEASE do it. My teenager was discovered by me doing this and I was furious. It would have been better had a neighbour given a view too.

AmazingBouncingFerret Thu 20-Feb-14 18:22:42

I accidently did this the other week. It was late at night and pissing it down with rain so I hovered at the utility room door and smoked as fast as I could, I flicked the cigarette in the vague direction of the patio table where the ashtray lives and the wind caught it and took it sailing over the fence.

My neighbour was rather bemused when I knocked on his door the next day to retrieve it!

TruJay Thu 20-Feb-14 19:28:09

When i was still living at home the next door neighbour did this. He smoked out of an upstairs window then flicked the butt down over our fence, mum finally got sick of it and we all went out to bag them up, over 300 in total!!!!! We chucked the lot back over the fence, he cane round the next day to say it was accidental hmm my arse! It isn't hard to tell whose garden the giant pile of butts was gathering in!

He didn't apologise but it did stop. Defo throw them back or have a word, its not on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now