Talk

Advanced search

To take my 3 year old to A&E

(7 Posts)
Brittabot Thu 20-Feb-14 06:53:29

My 3 year old DS has had cold with a temperature since Sunday so 4 days now. During the night his temp was still over 40 and he had shallow breathing. Although sick he's not lethargic and still eating and drinking.

Our doctors surgery does not have any daily appointments and the emergency appointments are a minimum 2 hour wait. Of the last 3 emergency appts I took him to I was twice referred straight to A&E where we then had to wait to be seen. AIBU if I take him straight to A&E once he wakes up?

ilovecolinfirth Thu 20-Feb-14 06:58:12

Why was he referred to A and E in the past? Was it for similar symptoms?

Triliteral Thu 20-Feb-14 07:07:39

Is it possible to phone 111 for proper medical advice on this? If I was genuinely worried though, I'd do whatever set my mind at rest.

NCISaddict Thu 20-Feb-14 07:07:54

Have you given him Calpol/ibuprofen and what do you mean by shallow breathing?

DrownedGirl Thu 20-Feb-14 07:10:48

I would take him to a and e

My Son had similar symptoms and was admitted with pneumonia

They will never criticise you for getting a child checked out

namechange74 Thu 20-Feb-14 07:12:25

Sounds like Pneumonia - Take him immediately
Good luck

EddieBlizzard Thu 20-Feb-14 07:57:39

A temp that high coupled with the breathing could be something serious and you never know so I would go straight to A&E. DS was like this for a few days once then ended up convulsing (due to his temp) and he had pneumonia. Hope he's ok and gets better soon OP thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now