Talk

Advanced search

To asl if anyone else feels violently sick on Virgin's titling trains?

(58 Posts)
ComposHat Wed 19-Feb-14 21:58:11

I am okay on non tilting trains on the same route, but when the train gets past Preston on a Virgin pendalino or voyager train, bound for Edinburgh, I begin to feel violently sick. I am currently hiding in the loo and wishing the last half hour of the journey away.

So:

Am I right on thinking it is the tilt that is causing this?

Does anyone else suffer this feeling of sickness?

If so do you have any tips for relieving this feeling?

Manchesterhistorygirl Wed 19-Feb-14 21:58:55

The front two carriages always make me feel pukey. Could you move further back?

livingzuid Wed 19-Feb-14 22:00:23

No they are horrid and also always smell of their toilets. The ventilaton is dire.

daisychain01 Wed 19-Feb-14 22:00:28

Compos I actually wont go on a Virgin train for that reason, Im a bad traveller envy. Only 20 mins to go, hold on there!

BorcestshireBlue Wed 19-Feb-14 22:01:24

Same here. Savory nibbles seem to help.

StickyProblem Wed 19-Feb-14 22:03:32

Apparently the tilting has made the loos slosh and there's loo contents all under the floor sad I think someone from another train company told me that.

We avoid them, DD gets travel sick but is usually OK on trains, but not on the tilters, she went all cold and clammy last time she was on one.

MissPlumBroughtALadder Wed 19-Feb-14 22:04:49

Totally refuse to travel on the pendolino trains after being violently sick on each of the three times I've had the misfortune to use them. Ugh, even the thought of them makes me nauseous now!

StickyProblem Wed 19-Feb-14 22:04:54

You probaby didn't need to hear that right now Compos - sorry!

babyheaves Wed 19-Feb-14 22:06:11

I love the pendolinos! I don't like travelling backwards on any train - that makes me feel a bit dodgy, but forward facing is just fine.

I love travelling Virgin, its a million times better than Trans Pennine that's for sure and I've never seen any loo contents on the floor ever.

Wigeon Wed 19-Feb-14 22:06:18

I spent around 4 hours on two Virgin trains today and felt quite sick, having never suffered from travel sickness on a train before. I almost never go on Virgin (but frequently catch other trains), so it's funny to see this thread! I was trying to work on a lap top, so I put it down to that, but maybe it was all the tilting?

RoseLavenderBlue Wed 19-Feb-14 22:07:46

Yes I agree, I feel very unwell on those trains. Kind of a 'seedy' feeling. I just try to close my eyes and sit with my head against the seat headrest or rest my head on my hand with elbow on armrest. Can't read either and it goes so fast I can't look out of window. I've just booked tickets to London which arrived today and your post has reminded me I hate those trains! I could have booked the London Midland train instead but it takes twice as long. Feel for you OP!

TheOldestCat Wed 19-Feb-14 22:08:34

Yes - they make me sick too and I'm fine on other trains.

babyheaves Wed 19-Feb-14 22:09:28

Maybe its something you get used to? I travel on one at least once a week, often twice - so that's 2-4 journeys a week. It's my favourite part of the working week. Nice quiet train and a brew.

Pumpkinpositive Wed 19-Feb-14 22:09:38

Constantly nauseous. The sweltering conditions don't help either. Have you tried travel sickness pills?

babyheaves Wed 19-Feb-14 22:10:28

That's 1-2 return journeys, so my maths isn't crap BTW grin.

BookFairy Wed 19-Feb-14 22:11:23

The Pendolino makes me proper queasy. The tilting, the smell...<shudder> I have no other option for going to visit family as Virgin control that route sad

marriednotdead Wed 19-Feb-14 22:15:48

I get very queasy on pendolinos; when they began to cover my route to see family in the Midlands I quickly realised that travel sickness tablets were essential. I forgot last time and still can't face an M&S chicken sandwich as that's what I'd treated myself to on departure.

The same problem occurs on the Eurostar sad

Karoleann Wed 19-Feb-14 22:17:49

I'm fine as long as I sit facing the direction of travel. Backwards, I always throw up.

ComposHat Wed 19-Feb-14 22:20:32

Thsnks for the tips everyone. Most useful one being check I'm travelling with Transpennine Express before I buy tickets.

4 minutes til i taste the sweet air of Princes Street.

oscar126 Thu 20-Feb-14 22:24:24

I always feel I'll on Pendolino trains but it helps if I am careful about what I eat and drink prior to traveling

PrincessOfChina Thu 20-Feb-14 22:26:58

Toilet smell is vile. I get this badly but only north of Manchester.

tethersend Thu 20-Feb-14 22:29:01

Oh god, me too.

Try getting shitfaced, it helps a bit.

Twighlightsparkle Thu 20-Feb-14 22:30:27

Yes and I've only been on one once only for 2 hour journey, never ever agian

ComposHat Thu 20-Feb-14 22:33:54

The virgin voyagers have the worst toilet smell. Vile trains full stop.

I discovered it is bad from Preston to Carstairs due to the number of bends. London to Preston is fairly straight.

Holdthepage Thu 20-Feb-14 22:35:02

Yes felt horribly sick the first time I went on one, went for a walk up the train unfortunately the smell near the toilets is horrendous. I used stugeron travel sickness pills, that did the trick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now