Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think spelling/punctuation errors on your business page looks really unprofessional?

(36 Posts)
ProfessorSkullyMental Wed 19-Feb-14 20:12:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheCraicDealer Wed 19-Feb-14 20:17:21

You will be told that you're being unreasonable and that the person who owns the business may be dyslexic or have a low standard of education and that it's very judgemental of you to think it's not professional, but I agree.

Most people who are savvy and know that they're not great with spelling or grammar would at least ask someone to proof read it for them. A misplaced comma or spelling mistake isn't the end of the world, but at the end of the day you're selling yourself. Peppering your sales literature with poor English would make me think, "what else do you not pay attention to".

SauvignonBlanche Wed 19-Feb-14 20:20:14

YANBU at all.

monkeysox Wed 19-Feb-14 20:21:39

Yanbu it boils my piss too

MuddlingMackem Wed 19-Feb-14 20:23:47

YANBU.

If they can't put the effort into their blurb will the same lack of effort be shown in their customer service, etc?

Hoppinggreen Wed 19-Feb-14 20:39:45

Drives me nuts - someone I know us just started a business called xxx pool's!!!!
It's on all his literature and even on a load of vehicles. Even if he has no idea himself what were the sign writers and printers thinking of??
If people can't spell the that's ok in every day life but for a business it needs to be checked - I actively avoid any business with spelling or grammatical errors anywhere in their literature or signage.

LoveIsTheDrug Wed 19-Feb-14 20:40:44

Irritates me too and I agree wholeheartedly re the proof reading thing if English isn't your strongpoint. Maths isn't necessarily mine, so I wouldn't attempt my own accounts, you use your own strengths where you can and get help with any gaps.

SelectAUserName Wed 19-Feb-14 20:45:13

YANBU. I have just commented on another thread that if you expect/hope that people will invest time in reading your written offerings, it's only courteous for you to invest some time and effort in making them legible in the first place. In business, if you need something done and you know you don't have the skills to do it yourself, you hire a professional. By the same token if you know you have a condition such as dyslexia which affects your ability to spell, or you are aware your written language skills are not your strongest point, you should use someone else's talents to proof-read for you.

My self-employed stepdaughter isn't the best speller, so she asks her brother, who is, to update her business FB page for her to ensure it meets the professional standard she wants to present to the world.

trixymalixy Wed 19-Feb-14 20:48:42

YANBU.

WaitingForMe Wed 19-Feb-14 20:49:29

YANBU and dyslexia is no excuse. My most recent client is dyslexic and I'm going to be proofreading his blog posts so his writing matches his service. Likewise, I have an accountant because I'm not a numbers person.

Ultimately the sign of professionalism is when you outsource the stuff that you aren't great at and you focus on the stuff you are good at. I do a fair bit of trading and just wrote website content in exchange for a social media plan so it needn't cost you anything!

Pipbin Wed 19-Feb-14 20:49:45

YANBU, get someone to proof read it for you. As said above if they can't manage that then what else can't they do.

That said I saw a sign in B&M (oh the class) saying 'mattresse's available' today......

mumminio Wed 19-Feb-14 20:52:17

yanbu it shows how much they care about details smile

LRDtheFeministDragon Wed 19-Feb-14 20:52:33

It does look unprofessional (assuming it's not your friend's business and she's asking you to look, in which case I suppose she might be hoping you'll tell her if it's an issue).

I think the difficulty a lot of people have is they don't know their SPAG isn't up to scratch so they go through life blithely unaware.

Nanny0gg Wed 19-Feb-14 20:52:34

I just visited a newly-refurbished pub which was clearly aiming upmarket.

Very new modern décor, everything - menus, beermats, signage all themed to their name.

Shame about the panini's and ciabatta's they were serving at lunchtime...

CrohnicallyFarting Wed 19-Feb-14 20:57:14

YANBU. In fact, I started a thread after receiving a flyer through the door advertising XXXX auto's (XXXX being town name... Spelt wrongly!)

If business literature isn't up to scratch, it suggests to me that the business isn't up to scratch either. As a successful business would employ someone to proofread.

Chivetalking Wed 19-Feb-14 20:59:24

YANBU.

I had an email from a national retailer telling me my order had been 'despatched'.

FFS hmm

WitchWay Wed 19-Feb-14 21:05:29

despatched is an acceptable variant spelling of dispatched

ProfessorSkullyMental Wed 19-Feb-14 21:07:33

Chivetalking Wed 19-Feb-14 21:18:06

Mmm. Yeah.

Just looks wrong especially when common usage dictates an 'i'.

iklboo Wed 19-Feb-14 21:20:02

There's a shop near me called "Bed's Mattresse's Sofa's". Makes my eyes hurt.

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Wed 19-Feb-14 21:23:41

I prefer despatched and think that dispatched looks wrong. OP YANBU, I see it all over the place and you are correct that it does matter and make the business look unprofessional, but it does seem that many many people, even graduates are unable to write correct English.

Isn't it taught in schools any more?

Two people I know have locally prominent online blogs that promote a sport we are all involved in and they are so badly written with terrible SPAG. I have thought of offering to help them with it but I'm sure that this could be taken as an insult.

I think a good illustration of how good written English doesn't seem to be valued any more was the success of 50 Shades of Grey. I purposely didn't read it as I knew that I would find the poor writing irritating.

LaGuardia Wed 19-Feb-14 21:45:58

I looked at a website for a local business. The spelling mistakes and punctuation errors were embarrassing. I cannot look the owner in the face. I think I actually feel a bit sorry for him because everyone is taking the piss.

ohnothewoodchip Wed 19-Feb-14 21:54:10

YANBU. I was looking at a business page for a hairdresser earlier, and it was full of mistakes. I couldn't focus on the content because it was so horrible it distracted me.

I'd try and tactfully ask her if she wanted proofreading. If not thentat least prospective customers are warned...

ProfessorSkullyMental Wed 19-Feb-14 21:54:26

TheArticFunky Wed 19-Feb-14 23:29:53

I think you did the right thing. Some of the responses on here have been overly harsh. Not everyone is aware that their spelling/grammar is not up to scratch. Raising it in a diplomatic friendly way is the right approach.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now