Talk

Advanced search

...to expect my dentist to actually clean my kids teeth?

(9 Posts)
WotchOotErAPolis Wed 19-Feb-14 18:06:11

Had a dental appointment today for me and my 3 sons, aged 11, 14, 16.

The dentist noticed how bad their teeth are as they don't brush regularly [despite 16 years of twice daily, per child reminders, pushing upstairs etc and delays to trips out while they all go off to brush, having forgotten again]. There's tartar build-up on their teeth, but what I don't get is - why doesn't he then clean their teeth? confused

He often comments on how good my teeth are but then insists on giving them a quick clean anyway, but has never cleaned the boys', nor asked me to arrange an appointment with a hygienist! Surely, we're storing up future trouble if their teeth are never clean?...and having teeth scraped and polished hurts a bit too, so surely that would remind the boys to keep their teeth clean to avoid a painful experience?

I despair of ever having kids with clean teeth, and our music teacher has now told us he can't stand my ESs bad breath, so outsiders are noticing too! Will they eventually learn or do I need to resort to brushing their teeth for them, like I did when they were toddlers?! angry

spongebob13 Wed 19-Feb-14 18:08:07

well why didn't you ask??

OddBoots Wed 19-Feb-14 18:08:35

I'm not sure, the dentist has certainly removed tartar from my 14yo's teeth. What does the dentist say when you ask?

BrianTheMole Wed 19-Feb-14 18:09:21

Why don't you book them in for the hygienist?

FuzzyWuzzywasaWoman Wed 19-Feb-14 18:09:51

Why don't you just book an appointment with a hygienist yourself?

FluffySocksAndMarshmallows Wed 19-Feb-14 18:14:07

If they aren't likely to start brushing their teeth, the dentist won't clean them. Neither will a hygienist, unless you privately fund it.

It's on the NHS dental thingy somewhere. I had the same argument with my little sister, complained all the way up, but they don't have to provide cleaning for people who don't bother. They also don't need to provide anything but emergency treatment after a while.

I showed my sister some pictures of people with horrible teeth, kept telling her that her breath smelt and showed her studies that showed that people who don't regularly brush their teeth are a lot more likely to suffer from heart problems. I also made her stand in the bathroom for 3 timed minutes with me, even if she didn't brush her teeth. Eventually she decided that she might as well.

isisisis Wed 19-Feb-14 18:15:08

If it's soft deposits (plaque) then I don't clean children's teeth for them. I'll show them, disclose their teeth & then give them a toothbrush to brush them with whilst I see the rest of the family. I can't clean them twice a day for then so there is no benefit in doing it as a one off.
If it's hard deposits (tartar/calculus) I would do the above but also clean the deposits off as they're not coming off on they're own. I always show the child any bits coming off which usually makes the point.
I would recommend using disclosing tablets at home, often that shocks kids into getting they're act together. We employ 2 oral health educators who teach brushing/flossing to all ages. Does your practice have one? If not it may be worth a trip to the hygienist for education but you're likely to have to pay for it privately.

AgaPanthers Wed 19-Feb-14 18:16:15

Is he NHS?

If he's NHS he just wants them in and out to collect his cash.

Go private if you want molly-coddling.

WotchOotErAPolis Wed 19-Feb-14 19:57:43

He is NHS, but will ask if we can have an appt with hygienist anyway. At least then they'll have clean teeth for once, I suppose.

Disclosing tablets sounds like a good idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now