Talk

Advanced search

to think it should be COMPULSORY to carry a tissue with you on public transport...????!!

(28 Posts)
Hadeda Wed 19-Feb-14 14:03:48

Ok, I know I am turning into my mother.

Train in this morning, I was standing next to a woman who sniffed all the way in. At one point she opened her handbag and started rifling through it. I thought "ooh, good, it's annoying her too" but nooooo, just got out her phone.

Then the tube to work. Again, very crowded so in everyone is in each other's space. The two people standing against the door next to me were both sniffing. But in time so it was SNIFFF, sniff, SNIFFF, sniff.

AAARRGGHHH!! It makes my stomach churn and waiting for the next sniff is like listening to a dripping tap!

I'm imagining being able to require people without the compulsory tissue to leave the train at the next stop. We could have tissue dispensers on each platform. Maybe even spot checks like the checks to see you have a ticket....

FoxesRevenge Wed 19-Feb-14 14:05:55

YANBU I've handed a fellow commuter a tissue before now. He was very grateful grin

I also think that people who cough and don't cover their mouths should be imprisoned for a minimum of 30 days or until they have stopped hacking their guts up over the general public grin

LRDtheFeministDragon Wed 19-Feb-14 14:06:52

Oh, thank god someone else feels this!

I offered someone a tissue who was sitting on the train sounding like a plunger in a particularly gunky drain, and she said 'no thanks, I don't need it'. hmm

Bleugh.

Callani Wed 19-Feb-14 14:15:18

YANBU but honestly, the worst thing is realising you don't have a tissue, especially with a heavy cold and you get through three packs a day.

I personally would love tissue dispensers in stations - can we suggest it somehow?

squoosh Wed 19-Feb-14 14:20:42

YANBU

Habitual sniffers make me think murderous thoughts. BUT............I also hate be-tissued people who spend five mins after they've blown their nose dabbing and wiping and checking their nostrils. Put the filthy thing away you savages.

trainersandaches Wed 19-Feb-14 14:22:11

In my glorious reign everyone will have a tissue or two tucked away in a coat pocket for use on trains, YADNBU.

capsium Wed 19-Feb-14 14:22:30

Maybe there could be just a 'Germ Carriage'?

Wait a minute that is probably all of them...

Hadeda Wed 19-Feb-14 14:24:07

Yes Squoosh!! Or effectively picking their nose with a tissue. It's still picking your nose and it's still gross.

And I agree with Foxes on coughers. And same applies to those making elaborate hawking noises in the back of their throats.

Actually, if I got to remove all the coughers and sniffers and hawkers then I might actually get a seat...

maggiemight Wed 19-Feb-14 14:24:35

Men NEVER carry tissues so you are wasting your time, OP.

Chunderella Wed 19-Feb-14 14:24:35

Yes! A tissue should be included in the ticket price, to cover the times when you get that sinking realisation you've run out.

Hadeda Wed 19-Feb-14 14:26:04

A Germ Carriage - brilliant!
It probably is all carraiges this time of year, but we could have some sort of breathalyser and if you are Germ Free you can enter. Another way of getting a seat... (As long as you don't have a cold yourself...)

Perhaps Germ Carriers could go in the Germ Free carriage if they had a tissue?

LRDtheFeministDragon Wed 19-Feb-14 14:26:44

There is a special circle of hell for people who sneeze into their hands then go to shake hands with you/touch you, too. I do not want a hug from someone who's just sneezed all over themself!

capsium Wed 19-Feb-14 14:30:43

The Germ Carriage could even have vendors of cough sweets, hankies and cough remedies and with maybe a nice side line of hot water bottles...

I cannot abide snotty snorters, I have been known to turn round and say to a fellow passenger on a Train 'please stop with the snorting it's making me feel ill' they moved seats... result

HomeIsWhereTheGinIs Wed 19-Feb-14 14:34:11

OP You made me laugh with your synchronised sniffers. How repulsive!

squoosh Wed 19-Feb-14 14:35:55

I also hate throat clearers.

One cough is better than twenty ladylike throat clearings. Just cough you fools! But only once, if you feel the need to cough more than once please bugger off to a TB ward.

MaidOfStars Wed 19-Feb-14 14:37:33

I was recently caught without a tissue (not even so much as a Costa napkin to be found in my handbag). I had to sit there with my head backwards, trying to get mucus to drain down my throat.

I would have loved someone to offer a tissue!

Hadeda Wed 19-Feb-14 14:43:09

Maid - perhaps we need a hand signal or something. I would happily give a tissue to anyone who was caught short. But I don't like to offer as I'm terrified of Making a Scene.
[BTW the train sniffer had to stand with her head backwards, and sniff, after getting her phone out as the mucus had obviously been severely affected by gravity]

StepAway - I admire your bravery!! I'd love to do that sometimes, but see above re Making a Scene....

Hadeda Wed 19-Feb-14 14:44:37

And for men/other tissue non-believers - I reckon being turfed off the train or fined by the Tissue Inspector would soon sort out any lack of tissue issues...

Anonymai Wed 19-Feb-14 15:01:35

<sniff>

<sniff sniff>

it wasn't brave, I simply could not bear the snorting any longer and it was ask or puke on him smile

StillSeekingSpike Wed 19-Feb-14 17:08:49

I once worked with a woman who was a really noisy Snotty Snorter- and who refused to use tissues as she said she was 'allergic'.
Her husband left her after 20 years of marriage- and my collegaue did (rather cruelly) speculate whether he just couldn't stand the noise anymore... wink

needaholidaynow Wed 19-Feb-14 17:15:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ineedabodytransplant Thu 20-Feb-14 15:26:08

Hoy Maggiemight, I'll have you know I'm a bloke and I always carry tissues. In fact I gave a huge wodge of them to a chap with a severe nosebleed on the platform at Waterloo the other week.

So there!![grin[]

ineedabodytransplant Thu 20-Feb-14 15:28:16

And one day last week I had a bloke sat next to me who kept.bloody.sniffing. I offered him a tissue and he refused. I insisted because it was driving me bonkers. Don't these disgusting idiots know they're doing it?
I would quite willingly have thrown him off if the windows or doors would open.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now