Talk

Advanced search

To think that if you are looking for advice you should post on the relevent board

(9 Posts)
Thattimeofyearagain Wed 19-Feb-14 07:46:51

.....and not take offence at the advice given ?

hickorychicken Wed 19-Feb-14 07:50:29

Fred about a Fred? grin
Agreed tbf, i see a shit load on MN who wont take advice after asking for it.
Never seen a thread where posters get abuse for it though shock
grin

Thattimeofyearagain Wed 19-Feb-14 07:56:03

Yup Fred about a Fred, will go poof soon, but if you look you can find them wink
I posted a few days ago in employment, got sound advice.
If Id have put the same in AIBU I would have got a rather different response .

hickorychicken Wed 19-Feb-14 07:57:25

Are you talking about a housing thread by any chance? grin

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Wed 19-Feb-14 07:59:06

Depends on the advice grin
But yes, unless the advice is stupid or truly worthy of contempt (eg you say your situation has changed terribly in the last two years and you have a ten year old? Well, you should have known this unknowable thing would happen in the future, back in the past before it had happened. Send your child up chimneys and sell one of your kidneys), then if you asked a question, accept the fact you will get a range of replies.
if it was validation you were after, dont ask for advice!

Neither should posters get angry if their advice is NOT taken. Advice is a suggestion, not an order. Comments like why ask for advice if you arent going to take it are misunderstanding what advice is.

Thattimeofyearagain Wed 19-Feb-14 08:10:00

Hickory, I couldn't possibly confirm or deny wink
Isee, I agree, if your posting to vent, say so.
I think there is a great well of advice on MN, & it would be a shame if anyone was put off posting on a thread because of recent shennagins on one or two recent threads .

frogslegs35 Wed 19-Feb-14 09:00:14

Yanbu!

sometimes though I don't like it when advice is given, the op may or may not agree/question it and people replying behave like they've personally been slapped in the face.
I agree with what Isee said at the end of last post.
MN and it's collective advice is not gospel - people can choose to take it or not.

carlajean Wed 19-Feb-14 09:23:29

Yanbu. I think some posters don't know other boards, apart from aibu or chat, exist. Or perhaps are just lazy.

butterflyroom Wed 19-Feb-14 09:26:10

To be fair to some posters, many of the boards have minimal traffic. At least they know there will be some kind of feedback in chat, AIBU and relationships.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now