Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to write a letter to my consultant and tell them I felt 'unbelieved' by them today

(13 Posts)
LexiLouise Tue 18-Feb-14 22:34:57

I have a few health issues and have seen my consultant (neurologist) about once ever 6 months for the past 3 years (since the health issues started)

I had an appointment today and she more or less said 'I've reviewed your notes and can't find out what's causing you condition therefore I don't think there is anything wrong with you' .....obviously not the exact words but the meaning is the same

She said she is referring me onto someone else and I should get a letter shortly for an appointment with them. I have no idea who I'm being referred to.

I came home and cried because it felt like she was basically telling me I'm making everything up so I'm wondering if it would be worth asking for an explanation in writing and state who crap she made me feel

Just feel crap and unbelieved

WorraLiberty Tue 18-Feb-14 22:39:09

I think you're reading something into it that isn't necessarily there.

She can't find out what's wrong so she simply can't help you

Therefore she's hopefully referred you to someone who can smile

It's worth finding out who your are being referred to but I wouldn't state it made you feel crap as I doubt there's anything she can do about that.

NoArmaniNoPunani Tue 18-Feb-14 22:39:34

I'm sorry you're upset but it sounds as though she doesn't feel she can help you so is referring you onto someone who can. That seems to me to be the correct thing to do

WorraLiberty Tue 18-Feb-14 22:40:06

But try to look at it in a positive light if you can

You've got no joy so far, so maybe this will be a breakthrough

Writerwannabe83 Tue 18-Feb-14 22:44:30

I've been in this situation and I know how frustrating it is. Ironically mine also involved a Neurologist!!!! My neurologist basically tried to say the last 14 years of my life had been a lie and that there was nothing wrong with me! I was absolutely gobsmacked. He based his opinion on a 10 minute chat he had with me after I went to see him about the implications of my health and having a baby. I left the Consultation and was furious!!! My husband had also been with me and was just as confused as I was. That was about a year ago now and I've never had to see him again so I've just let it go.

I completely understand why you feel the way you do, but in your shoes I'd probably wait and see who it is you have been referred to and what their speciality is before putting in any kind of complaint. Perhaps you could ring your Consultant's secretary and ask them as they'll be the ones sorting it all out I imagine?

WireCat Tue 18-Feb-14 22:45:32

Complain.

I had to do the same a few months ago when my son was treated like crap by his consultant.

ConfusedPixie Tue 18-Feb-14 22:52:58

Try not to let it get to you, just see another doctor and keep going. There is no point dwelling or complaining as they just write you off as the crazy one with this.

At least they are referring you. It's fucking frustrating and upsetting and really puts a dampener on your confidence. FWIW I've been ill for 13 years and only just got somebody to listen to me two weeks ago. I walked into his office and told him that I don't care if he thinks I'm a hypochondriac, because if I am then at least there is an answer for my mental and physical state. He's the first doctor to put me forward for tests since I was 11.

ClaudiusGalen Tue 18-Feb-14 22:57:20

I had the same thing. Pinged backwards and forwards between the GP and different consultants. Finally worked out I was deaf in one ear and required an operation. 3 years after first referral and basically being told I was malingering. Thankfully my GP believed that I was ill and kept on referring until someone took it seriously.

LexiLouise Tue 18-Feb-14 22:59:38

I think what got to me today was she just didn't listen.

It seemed like a done deal before I even entered them room that she wanted nothing to with me

Previous appointments usually consist of me on the couch and she pinpricks all my toes and legs and records the response (I have something wrong with my feet nerves that makes me loose feeling and balance)

I just came out feeling like a fraud and thinking it must all be in my head or something

Twighlightsparkle Tue 18-Feb-14 23:00:06

Phone the hospital and ask to speak to the consultants secretary.

Ask who you've been referred to, as you can't do much till you know that

ClaudiusGalen Tue 18-Feb-14 23:03:20

One neurologist actually wrote to my GP and suggested I be put on ADs or referred to a psychiatrist because I was faking my balance problems. Funny how it turned out I wasn't! I sometimes think if they can't figure out the problem some consultants with a god-like complex believe that there can't be anything wrong. (Note I said some, some are also great like the last neurologist I saw).

DoJo Tue 18-Feb-14 23:30:56

I agree that it sounds like you may be putting a negative spin on what your consultant said. The fact that she can't find anything wrong with you doesn't necessarily mean that she has decided that you are faking it, just that she has reached the limits of her area of expertise so has run out of options. If she has referred you to someone else, then presumably she thinks they will will be able to help you, which doesn't sound like she's fobbing you off.

I hope you get answers soon - I can understand how frustrating it must be for you not to have any answers, but as long as there are still options then you might still find a solution.

persimmon Tue 18-Feb-14 23:34:45

My friend wasn't believed by her GP for a long period - in fact they suggested she needed to see a psychiatrist - turns out she had several huge gall stones causing her agonizingly real symptoms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now