Talk

Advanced search

To think half term is not long enough for both house chores AND fun things.

(12 Posts)
Needsmorecake Tue 18-Feb-14 21:48:12

Lone parent, first bit of time off since Oct.

We have had 2 days off, we have done a bit of housework, just general week to week stuff, baked, chilled out, had lunch out, done some shopping, seen family, watch a ton of films snuggled on the sofa, had lie ins. its been lovely.

We have a trips out planned for wed and thur. we also need to fit in hair cuts, school homework and a cinema trip.

Im also meant to be sorting through DD's clothes and ebaying what doesnt fit, which is 90% and having a toy clear out.

Theres not enough time.

AIBU to expect to get it all done, should i just clean and forgo the fun to get it done, or should i just think sod it and never do it.

pippitysqueakity Tue 18-Feb-14 21:52:45

Totally agree a week is too short to do everything, so I am trying to just do the fun things. The housework is always there...(sadly) .

iheartdusty Tue 18-Feb-14 21:52:59

sort the clothes, but don't try and ebay them as well this week,
don't try to do the toys.
have plenty more snuggles on the sofa.

it's miserable trying to do too much.

scantilymad Tue 18-Feb-14 22:38:46

Maybe set aside an hour a day to do clothes sorting whilst some homework gets done. Book haircuts to be done en route to cinema. Then return to the snuggles and fun! The only one I'd be concerned over is the homework but the rest can wait -lack of housework has never caused a fatality smile

LEMmingaround Tue 18-Feb-14 22:42:50

Why do you need to fit so much in? The housework will still be there next week, and the next............do stuff with the kids and try not to notice the mess.

HadABadDay2014 Tue 18-Feb-14 22:48:26

Ignore the chores. Enjoy the fun things.

I haven't been off since September last year, worked all over Christmas including Christmas eve, Christmas Day and new year.

Housework will be the last thing on my mind next week ( finally got some time off)

Both the DC and I need time together and I can't wait till long mornings in bed watching Netflix and spending some quality time with them.

Needsmorecake Tue 18-Feb-14 22:49:12

Because i work and ' extra' chores above the day to day stuff are quite hard to fit in.

Liking the hour a day thing. Dd needs to be present im the clothes sorting though as she needs to try everything

Needsmorecake Tue 18-Feb-14 22:49:49

On. She will also need homwork help.

Id just like an extra week off smile

Needsmorecake Tue 18-Feb-14 22:52:02

Yeah, i worked all over xmas too. Extra hours....

We didnt get out of bed till 9:30 both days off so far.

I just feel crap that i know im not.going to get the stuff done that i need to. Always on a bit of a back foot..

scantilymad Tue 18-Feb-14 22:52:14

Then maybe do an hour of housework whilst they do homework? Then make the trying on clothes bit another "game" if you can. "Eat your elephant a bit at a time" as my dear old DM says to me smile

scantilymad Tue 18-Feb-14 22:56:07

Cross post!
If DD needs help then try even twenty minutes of each thing at a time. Works for me! Twenty minutes trying on clothes, twenty minutes housework (DCs help) and twenty minutes homework. You'll be amazed at how much you can get done in one hour.

But then relax and enjoy the snuggles ok? smile

Sixgeese Wed 19-Feb-14 19:10:11

I know the feeling, DH is a teacher, but he is on a school trip all of half term, so it is just the 3 DC and me at home. We have at least 2 swimming lesson a day (the holiday courses seemed like a really good idea at the time, but the first one at 8am each day is killing me), what with seeing their friends, watching films, walking in the forest, baking cakes, doing homework, they are too small to do their homework by themselves, doing craft projects etc.... by the time it gets to house work I am just shattered.

DH is going to come home late Saturday and wonder what we have been doing all week as the house is so messy at the moment - next week is going to be stacks of cleaning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now