Talk

Advanced search

how to get into tecahing hairdressing in prisons?

(17 Posts)
livvy0211 Tue 18-Feb-14 13:53:47

I am a mum of one and 22years old i have worked in a salon for 6 years and recently become self employed. i have been looking into my assesors degree and eventually my aim is to teach hairdressing in prisons, i'm not in the slightest bit naive, i have a lot of clients who work in various different prisons who have tried to put me off.can anyone suggest the best route to take to eventually achieve teaching in prisons, and what it would entail. thanks!! x

gamerchick Tue 18-Feb-14 13:59:24

would it be allowed considering the need for sharp scissors and willing models or would it just be heads?

would there be a criteria of choosing none violent prisoners and a count up of equipment and scissors at the end of each session in case one is bullied into sneaking one out?

Patchouli Tue 18-Feb-14 14:02:09

Er...yanbu
(?)

livvy0211 Tue 18-Feb-14 15:52:50

yes its allowed, i only know this because my original hairdressing tutor 6 years ago taught in prisons.... and to be honest i think they would just use dolls heads considering where they are! and i don't know any of the criteria this is why i am asking for advice from anyone who may have taken the same career move x

gamerchick Tue 18-Feb-14 16:03:48

is there any way you could get back in touch with your tutor and get some info. It might be a starting point?

Velma67 Tue 18-Feb-14 16:06:56

https://jobsstatic.civilservice.gov.uk/csjobs.html

You could try keeping an eye out for jobs on here. I'm sure I have seen training jobs come up at our nearby young offenders prison.

purplecoyote Tue 18-Feb-14 16:08:33

You need to have 5 years industry experience and a teaching qualification, so a Cert Ed, which is a year of training. In addition you'll need a full CRB and possibly further clearance to work in a prison, your students will have the opportunity to practice on doll heads and on real people, many prisons have a working salon which the prisoners use at a reduced rate.
Personally I'd advise looking into teaching hairdressing in general to see if you can teach and if you enjoy it, before going into teaching in a prison. It's rewarding, but not glamorous, and not the easy option either!

livvy0211 Tue 18-Feb-14 16:21:14

anyone who thinks hairdressing in general is glamorous are crackers haha, is there no way you can volunteer in a salon prison and maybe shadow a "tutor" whilst doing your teaching qualification? i never wanted the easy option with hairdressing and always wanted to teach. thanks

RedHelenB Tue 18-Feb-14 16:23:25

Why prisons in particular? Definitely try to get some teaching experience first, it will definitely stand you in good stead when vacancies come up.

BrianTheMole Tue 18-Feb-14 16:23:39

Why prison? As opposed to teaching anywhere else?
<just being nosey>

purplecoyote Tue 18-Feb-14 16:27:20

Livvy I've taught in two prisons for 5 years and also trained as a hairdresser, although never taught it - I do know many folks who think wielding some scissors is incredibly glamorous!
Volunteering could be a good option, I'm not sure if they'd be able to offer that for hairdressing as they'd require you to be a keyholder to count in and out the tools (scissors etc) so you might need to be paid staff. Often in the prison teaching sector you're expected to teach all sorts, so numeracy and literacy as well as your subject - so volunteering could be great.
Best of luck with it regardless of what you choose smile

morethanpotatoprints Tue 18-Feb-14 16:31:27

Hello OP

My friend did this when we were studying for our PGCE, she said she learned a lot and the only difference was she had to be careful with equipment.
Scissors were counted going out and coming in, she had to be searched in and out and she had an emergency buzzer she had to push if help was needed/emergency.
I think you'll need to be studying for or have a PGCE.

livvy0211 Tue 18-Feb-14 16:39:11

to be honest i am always striving to things that are not what you would call "the norm" smile and teaching people who are fresh out of school doesn't appeal to me at all but i have got a huge drive to teach,but not in mainstream schools or colleges i'm all about giving people a second chance and the thought that people may not re offend because of the oppurtunity i could have given them by offering them a trade seems as though it could be pretty rewarding.
thanks purplecoyote; although hairdressing is considered some what of a trade for people without brains i did leave school with A*s in literacy and numeracy so hopefully after my teaching degree it will all stand me in good stead.

snowdropsinthegreen Tue 18-Feb-14 16:41:44

Weston College, A4e and Manchester college all hold contracts for teaching in prisons. Go on their websites and see what jobs are available.
They cover much of the country.

nickymanchester Tue 18-Feb-14 16:47:14

livy

I have sent you a pm with a link about volunteering to do hairdressing, this is in a prison near where I live. I don't want to put it on here as it will out my location. You will not require teaching qualifications for volunteering.

I'm sure there are other similar vacancies near you.

If you wanted to be employed in this sort of role then I would suggest that you phone the prison and find out what their education arrangements are. Some are organised by the prison and some are run by a local college.

A friend of mine is an art teacher in a local prison and really enjoys the work. When it comes to anything sharp, she counts them all out and then counts them all back again.

brettgirl2 Tue 18-Feb-14 16:51:59

increasingly training provision in prisons is centralised and delivered through OLASS. There are a few providers who have contracts. What about the unemployed OP who want a new start?

livvy0211 Tue 18-Feb-14 17:54:38

what about the unemployed who want a new start?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now