Talk

Advanced search

to be offended by this tv presenter?

(96 Posts)
TwinkleTwinkleNeverwhere Tue 18-Feb-14 13:24:21

loose women presenter just described guest as 'a little bit schizophrenic' as he has vastly different personas or facets to his personality. This has really pissed me off as I think it trivialises mental illness and is spreading the wrong information about what illnesses actually are.

This programme was on as waiting for the news...I usually avoid it as think they talk a load of rubbish generally.

AIBU to be pissed off and offended?

Yep, it's a daft tv show - either take it with a pinch of salt or hit the OFF button.

Onesleeptillwembley Tue 18-Feb-14 13:26:36

Yabvvu to even watch that shite. But no, that is a bit off.

CorusKate Tue 18-Feb-14 13:26:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MargotLovedTom Tue 18-Feb-14 13:27:22

Who was the presenter and who was the guest?

5Foot5 Tue 18-Feb-14 13:27:25

Dunno. Are you, or do you know anyone who is schizophrenic? Can't think why you would find this personally offensive otherwise.

What one word term would you use as an alternative to describe the image they were trying to convey?

CorusKate Tue 18-Feb-14 13:30:56

Gruntfuttock Tue 18-Feb-14 13:32:44

YANBU. She should have just said "multi-faceted"

CorusKate Tue 18-Feb-14 13:33:36

YouTheCat Tue 18-Feb-14 13:36:39

Describing someone in terms of a mental illness, whether they have the condition or not, is fucking awful. It's akin to calling someone a 'retard'.

Also it's really really sodding ignorant to think that schizophrenia manifests itself as multiple personalities. It generally doesn't.

TwinkleTwinkleNeverwhere Tue 18-Feb-14 13:42:46

it was kaye Adams speaking to julian clary.

I don't need to be personally affected to be offended by someone's comments...i find homophobic comments offensive but i am not gay.

Gruntfuttock Tue 18-Feb-14 13:43:20

100% agree with all your post, YouTheCat

Mignonette Tue 18-Feb-14 13:45:23

It shows how ignorant he (and most people to be honest) are regarding what Schizophrenia is.

I get tired of explaining that it has nothing whatsoever to do with multiple facets of one personality or a split personality and I tend to think now 'just fucking google it and educate yourselves'.

IAmOwedMoney Tue 18-Feb-14 13:46:33

Describing someone in terms of a mental illness, whether they have the condition or not, is fucking awful. It's akin to calling someone a 'retard'

^ This

YouTheCat Tue 18-Feb-14 13:46:59

How the hell is Julian Clary 'multi-faceted' anyway? He has one act and has done since 1985.

CorusKate Tue 18-Feb-14 13:47:24

Hotmad Tue 18-Feb-14 14:13:06

Jeez I hate that show, I wonder what planet those women live on at times, they chat so much poop

ReadyToPopAndFresh Tue 18-Feb-14 14:13:52

YABU to watch loose women and act surprised when they somethign ridiculous

blahblahblah2014 Tue 18-Feb-14 14:16:21

Don't any of you have a sense of humour - I can just imagine you lot at a comedy show!

IAmOwedMoney Tue 18-Feb-14 14:18:42

I am sure a sense of humour was lorded about by racists and so on in the past, too! hmm

YANBU op.

YouTheCat so true and so funny. (Your comment, not Julian C) grin

vestandknickers Tue 18-Feb-14 14:26:51

YANBU. It is totally unacceptable. When I was at school it was ok to call someone spastic. Surely we have moved on since then.

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Tue 18-Feb-14 14:29:18

I stopped watching Loose Women when I heard their views on nurses. They are washed up has beens attempting to rile up the public in order to get mentioned in the press. They don't care if what they say hurts people, as long as they get their faces in the press they are fine with it.
They need filters fitting to their mouths.

DelGirl Tue 18-Feb-14 14:29:56

Yanbu and I've just gone off that presenter, though tbf it's usually, badly, scripted.

SpottyDottie Tue 18-Feb-14 14:31:50

Loose Women is absolutely crap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now