Talk

Advanced search

To book a night away for my birthday without DH?

(10 Posts)
LemonMousse Tue 18-Feb-14 10:36:54

I have been mentioning for weeks that it would be nice to go away for my birthday to stay in the place where DS is at uni and meet up with him and his GF for a meal. Me, DH and our 2 teenage DDs.

We've done it before when it was DS's birthday and had a great time so I though it would be nice to do it again. I've been looking at (cheap) hotels and saying 'I can get us in at the Premier Inn that night - blah blah blah' but DH has hummed and haahed so bloody much that everywhere is fully booked (it's during the Easter holidays - busy tourist destination).

I've found a B&B that can accommodate us - asked him last night again and he's obviously not keen. It's only for ONE night, a Saturday (he can't won't take any time off work) but he's more or less admitted he doesn't want to go.

AIBU to book for me and the DDs and leave him behind - when I mentioned it again last night he said 'get yourselves away' and laughed. I'll end up not being able to book in anywhere at this rate!

YANBU - book it now smile

LemonMousse Tue 18-Feb-14 11:01:52

Just been back on booking site to check and it's gone - bah sad

But the search goes on - if he's not coming I can maybe have 2 nights away (quite a lot are 2 nights minimum stay).

<feeling determined>

LostInWales Tue 18-Feb-14 11:03:37

Hell yes! I am going to Barcelona for four days with my friend for my next birthday, sorry DH and kids, I'll bring you back some duty free if I'm sober enough to remember grin.

ViviPru Tue 18-Feb-14 11:03:50

Why doesn't he want to go?

LemonMousse Tue 18-Feb-14 11:38:38

Various reasons if I'm honest.

He's not particularly sociable, the last time we went we just wandered around the shops which isn't really his 'thing' (plenty of touristy places to visit though if I can persuade him). He doesn't want to spend the money (I would pay for the hotel - just expect some help with meals etc).

Also he doesn't like asking his parents to look after our dogs (which they really don't mind) but he has a few 'issues' with them at the moment (long story to do with his sister and her family and 'favouritism' - I just remain neutral).

I suspect it's the parent issue really tbh. I'll have another go at him tonight and see if he's serious about me and the girls going without him and take it from there.

ViviPru Tue 18-Feb-14 11:45:15

fair dues - in that case YWNBU

Topaz25 Tue 18-Feb-14 11:57:08

I read the title and was prepared to say YABU but then I read your post about how you've tried to talk to him and he's avoided the issue and joked about you going on your own. Now I think YANBU. Just one thing, is there any chance that he's planning a surprise for your birthday and that's why he's avoiding making other plans? Otherwise YWNBU to make plans without him.

LemonMousse Tue 18-Feb-14 12:02:28

Now that would be a surprise Topaz but really, genuinely, it's not his style at all to do anything like that.

I just think he 'can't be bothered' to be honest (and will probably enjoy the peace and quiet of having the house to himself). It might also make him sit up and think if I do go ahead without him - though I'm now finding it hard to find anywhere at all that isn't mega £££s.

LemonMousse Tue 18-Feb-14 19:22:47

Well - I've booked it (eeek!) - we're going in a self catering apartment for 2 nights and it sleeps up to 4 so if he changes his mind he can still come (but I haven't told him that yet).

I did ask again - he did say no again - I did ask if he would mind if me and the DDs went without them or would he be 'in the huff' about it. He said he wouldn't.

He is making jokes about it now 'So you're leaving me all alone blah blah blah' - 'Nobody cares about me blah blah blah' but he genuinely doesn't seem that bothered.

The girls are really looking forward to it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now