Talk

Advanced search

To stand my ground and really make a noise about being constantly robbed by someone in my guesthouse?

(9 Posts)
hellokittymania Mon 17-Feb-14 16:44:42

I have lived in a guesthouse for 7 years in Hue and have been robbed several times, mostly money and phones. I have a visual impairment and am not very organised so didn't figure out what was happening for a long time.

I have said to the cleaning lady a few times that money was missing. She told me to be careful and she needed her job. I know that. Since I have no clue who has been taking my things, I don't like to speak up. I am not a complainer by nature. My room is the oldest in the guesthouse, I was there (and paid) even when the place closed for rennovation. A lot of people stay there because I reccomend the place to them. The staff are quite friendly and the price is good. The location is good as well...

Anyway last week £100 and thai and singapore notes were missing. I said something as I was pickpocketed on Jan 17 and sick of being robbed. I already told the police about the pickpocketing. The owner of the guesthouse didn't contact the police, interview staff..... or anything else. A member of staff helped me to put a cupboard in front of my window and put a new working safe in the room. He also said "It's only £100" In Vietnam, that covers my entire month of food, drink and neccessities. Someone else said it could happen wherever, I need to be more careful. This weekend I looked into getting a security camera for my room.... Apart from that and a bodyguard, not much else I can do to be more careful.

I wrote on FB about it, because I am sick of being a target and getting blamed. Today, I had a big confrontation with the cleaner because she thinks I suspect her. She told me to call the police if I wanted. I just might since nobody else has. Even if they don't do anything, my complaint will be on file. It is definitely an inside job.

The owner isn't happy because I wrote about it on my fb. A staff member told me and said it would affect his business and make Vietnamese look bad. No other customer has lived in this guesthouse for 7 years except for. me. I've been loyal to them but I am furious over this.

I started moving out today, I haven't finished yet. It got very ugly today. I had to call an expat for help.

WIbU though? What would you have done?

Joysmum Mon 17-Feb-14 16:46:28

I'd have moved out if the owner wouldn't take it seriously.

FannyFifer Mon 17-Feb-14 16:47:40

You live in a guesthouse in Vietnam?

hellokittymania Mon 17-Feb-14 16:50:52

Joy, unfortunately there aren't many guesthouses in my budget range and within walking distance of everything.

hellokittymania Mon 17-Feb-14 16:54:16

Fanny, yes.

Coconutty Mon 17-Feb-14 17:00:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

salsmum Mon 17-Feb-14 17:01:46

I would buy a small spy camera and find the culprit..how dare they steal off you because you have a visual impairment this has been your home for 7 years FFS! Get a friend to help you install the camera and then take any evidence to the police. If the owner of the guest house is that worried about the reputation of the place being ruined best they catch the thief! £100 is £100.

Pipbin Mon 17-Feb-14 17:07:37

Is there any way you could rent a flat so you wouldn't have people coming in and out all the time. A guesthouse isn't very secure as who knows who may have a key to your room.

hellokittymania Mon 17-Feb-14 18:22:14

Pip, Hue isn't very modern so not many "flats". The one expat who lives in a flat is leaving in 4 weeks and nothing else is available.

Most foreigners who rent cheaper houses live in the countryside, which wouldn't be convenient for me. There is hardly any public transport and a few foreigners and Vietnamese friends have had snakes inside.. Not to mention floods. I couldn't manage alone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now