Talk

Advanced search

aibu/is it okay to call your 8 year old daughter a c**t

(37 Posts)
kennyp Mon 17-Feb-14 16:34:58

a friends partner calls their 8 yo daughter a c**t when her behaviour is bad/she answers back (she's a very manipulative child so this could happen often). she said "daddy calls me a C U Next Tuesday" (she knew not to say the word cunt infront of people).

it's got sod all to do wtih me but if my husband called our kids one i would go looopy. i think there's some words children don't need to be exposed to. aibu though?

spanky2 Mon 17-Feb-14 16:37:17

No not okay. Does your friend know?

caruthers Mon 17-Feb-14 16:38:08

It's about as disgusting as it gets isn't it?

shebird Mon 17-Feb-14 16:39:24

YANBU it's the worst word ever totally vile

orangepudding Mon 17-Feb-14 16:40:23

Not at all acceptable.

VegetariansTasteLikeChicken Mon 17-Feb-14 16:40:57

obviously not, and you should report to ss

NeonMuffin Mon 17-Feb-14 16:41:16

I'd say it's your friends partner who sounds like the cunt not the poor child. Manipulative or not.

NigellasDealer Mon 17-Feb-14 16:41:24

how horrible

LaGuardia Mon 17-Feb-14 16:41:35

What charming friends you have.

divisionbyzero Mon 17-Feb-14 16:42:09

YANBU, I agree.

It is always hard to gauge swearwords, though, as in different families swearing can have wildly different levels of importance - one tribe might be prim and proper, another might swear like Australians, another might (like us) never swear in front of the kids except in very rare instances of toe-stubbing or nearly being hit by someone running a red light.

In this instance though, they've hit on a word everyone would recognize as a no-no in my opinion.

Obviously it's not ok to call anyone that, let alone a child. You really need to ask?

DumDum32 Mon 17-Feb-14 16:43:33

Disgusting behaviour from an adult YANBU

I'd tell the friend if he/she don't already know!

TaraLott Mon 17-Feb-14 16:44:23

YABU to call her a manipulative child.
All children answer back and are cheeky, of course they shouldn't be calling her a cunt, but you already know that.

DipMeInChocolate Mon 17-Feb-14 16:44:54

Its vile to call any child names and swear at them. What does your friend do about it. I don't think anyone will think thats ok.

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Mon 17-Feb-14 16:46:44

You think that you might be being unreasonable?

sadbodyblue Mon 17-Feb-14 16:46:50

she is a very manipulative child people say that in defence when called to account for abusing that child.

you all sound horrible to be honest.

if she starts using language like this in school the parents will be called in.

absolutely vile.

BrokenButNotFinished Mon 17-Feb-14 16:49:36

Didn't Alec Baldwin receive a whole world of flak for verbally abusing his daughter on answer phone?? And that wasn't even using this word...

NorthernLurker Mon 17-Feb-14 17:11:53

I think you need to speak to your friend about this. This is Not OK.

GimmeDaBoobehz Mon 17-Feb-14 17:17:01

Is it any wonder the child is manipulative/bad behaved if her father/step father calls them a cunt?

How disgusting.

I even cringe when a certain member of my partners family calls their 10 year old a little fucker.

I see no reason why you'd swear at your child. It's either:
a) you don't know how to hold your tongue.
b) you can't hold your temper/lose control of yourself easily.
c) you actually think it's OK to talk to someone like that.

Any of these would disturb me but it sounds like two or all of these could be the case with this man cunt.

CumberCookie Mon 17-Feb-14 17:20:41

Utterly vile to refer to a child like that. She might well be manipulative but she doesn't deserve that!

Lemonfairydust Mon 17-Feb-14 17:22:49

He sounds like the cunt, not the daughter - who the heck refers to an eight year old child as 'manipulative', anyway?

Do you really need a bunch of strangers to tell you that it's wrong for a fully grown adult to call an eight year old a cunt?!

MothratheMighty Mon 17-Feb-14 17:23:45

A friend you say?
Not someone I'd have as a friend, allowing that sort of vile language to a child to go unchallenged. Don't tell me, the adults think it's funny don't they?

specialsubject Mon 17-Feb-14 17:26:56

the point about swearing is that it is not acceptable, and while you can't totally shield children from hearing it, you teach them that it is not to used.

so using it AT children is doubly bad, especially with the meaning of this word.

don't get personally involved, but if you suspect abuse, call the authorities. And if the child is manipulative, perhaps she is trying to protect herself? poor kid.

WreckTangle Mon 17-Feb-14 17:29:30

I'm more shocked you even need to ask.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Mon 17-Feb-14 17:31:52

I love the word cunt and see nothing wrong with it when used by adults. Swearing and young children is never a good mix though. By 13 or 14, I was all 'cunt' this, that and the other. Yanbu when discussing an 8 year old though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now