Talk

Advanced search

To think the NHS sells their data to accident claim companies?

(49 Posts)
youarewinning Mon 17-Feb-14 15:06:15

A few years ago I visited A&E with my DS who had cut his lip open at school club on some equipment. A few weeks later I got a phone all from an accident claims company. I said no accident ended call and thought no more of it.

A few weeks ago I had an accident at work resulting in whiplash and a paramedic call out as I couldn't move and neck injury. Get another call today (same accident claims company and same heavy Indian accident) Again say no accident had and he asks if I'm sure hmm

Just rung my dad as the penny dropped and he had the same company call him after he snapped ligaments in thumb whilst at ski centre which resulted in A&E trip and an operation.

AIBU to think once is co-incidence but to now wonder if the NHs sells it's data to accident companies for a cut of the claim money?!

poopooheadwillyfatface Mon 17-Feb-14 15:09:30

I don't know, I get these calls a lot too and never had any proper accidents. So IMHO it could well be just a coincidence.

Thisismyfirsttime Mon 17-Feb-14 15:15:31

The NHS doesn't, no. Whether there are rogue individuals who do is another matter but I think it highly unlikely that it'd be worth anyone's time trawling records to find people who've had accidents as opposed to heart attacks or other natural problems, gathering the contact info and selling it on. I get them too and I've never had an accident, for what it's worth they do seem pretty insistant that I've had one and I must have just forgotten it!

Shesparkles Mon 17-Feb-14 15:17:24

I had a car accident yesterday and so far I've had calls from 3 seperate companies looking to make a claim on my behalf! The only call I've made has been to my insurance company.....

youarewinning Mon 17-Feb-14 15:26:19

shesparkles I hope your ok shock

I'm pleased to see others have had the insistence they've had an accident when they haven't. Tbh I knew I'd had the accident but it wasn't works fault - it was how I moved iyswim? I have filled out an accident form at school but it's a query if it's an accident or violent incident as I was avoiding something a pupil threw at me grin

SleepPleaseSleep Mon 17-Feb-14 15:59:11

Well, 38 degrees just emailed me to ask whether I support a campaign against: "
In just two weeks, the personal medical records of everyone in England will start being sent to a central database - Care.data - to be used by the NHS to improve its services. [1] If it’s done right, Care.data could be used to make our NHS even better.

But there’s a catch: private companies will be able to buy access to our data too - private companies like Serco or big pharmaceutical companies who would love to see our NHS privatised and run entirely for profit. [2]"

So if they don't sell info at the mo, they will be doing soon. Wonderful. 38 degrees is here www.38degrees.org.uk if you want to track their campaign.

Bearfrills Mon 17-Feb-14 16:11:12

I think it's just coincidence, I work for the NHS and we don't sell records to claims companies.

I got a call from one a while ago about my recent (non-existent) car accident.

Me: "What accident?"
Them: "Our records show you were in a car accident within the last eighteen months".
Me: "Really?"
Them: "Yes".
Me: "Oh my god, really?! .... DH, I've been in an accident! ... Did I hit my head?"
Them: "Sorry?"
Me: "Did I hit my head?"
Them: "Our records don't show that, just that you had an accident - "
Me: "Oh my god! I did, didn't I? That's why I can't remember the accident, I hit my head too hard <anguished wail> I'VE GOT AMNESIA!!!!!!!!"
<click, dial tone>

They haven't rang back since smile

LaGuardia Mon 17-Feb-14 16:18:13

The NHS don't because of data protection laws, but the insurance companies certainly do.

DroothyNeebor Mon 17-Feb-14 16:20:17

I've had a spate of calls and texts due to my "recent accident".
I have never attended A and E as a patient, never been to my GP with cuts, sprains, broken limbs etc etc
Had no motor insurance claims.
These companies are just fishing to see if they get any bites.
Same with PPI claims

Onesleeptillwembley Mon 17-Feb-14 16:32:49

I went through a spate of A&E visits between myself and my dcs. It was about 5 visits in roughly 3 months. After 3 calls immediately after I got in touch with the hospital. I also made a couple of threats re my data. They took it very seriously after originally asking if I'd taken taxis (ie the details given by taxi company). They confirmed they'd had a similar investigation the previous year. They could find no proof or even suspicions of details being taken by staff. Whilst I do accept they took it seriously I was very angry. I do believe the system is now set up do anybody accessing your details will be logged. So - complain, complain, complain.

youarewinning Mon 17-Feb-14 18:21:06

Bear I love your style grin

That's reassuring to know they don't pass on details - bit worrying to know they might soon though. Although form what I understand about this change is that it means if you need OOH care they will have access to your records?

ginmakesitallok Mon 17-Feb-14 18:23:28

Just to clarify, as far as I know there are no plans for the nhs to sell patient identifiable data to anyone.

Mrsdavidcaruso Mon 17-Feb-14 18:43:37

ginmakes please find the list for the 'PRICE LIST' from the care.data people

www.hscic.gov.uk/media/12443/data-linkage-service-charges-2013-2014-updated/pdf/dles_service_charges__2013_14_V10_050913.pdf

look at box 3 where it says

Bespoke extract - containing personal confidential data
A one-off extract tailored to the customer’s requirements of specified data fields containing patient identifiable data, sensitive data items or both.

So by all means clarify away I would rather take the information from hscic own website then the word of anyone on a public forum - sorry

treas Mon 17-Feb-14 18:57:48

The NHS as a unit may not sell on data but it would not be inconceivable that some individuals within the NHS are selling information for profit.

Know for definite it happens within Motor Insurance companies as an investigation was on going with our car insurance company when we complained about such phone calls.

ginmakesitallok Mon 17-Feb-14 19:02:05

Mrsdavid, A private company can't just access private details. It's not as simple as that.

ginmakesitallok Mon 17-Feb-14 19:05:28

But don't take my word for it, have a look at the hscic website here

Bunbaker Mon 17-Feb-14 19:08:27

I used to get scam texts about recent "accidents". It is a load of old nonsense.

BabeRuthless Mon 17-Feb-14 19:25:26

A friend of mine badly hurt his leg playing football. The next morning he got a text from a claim company. Could be a coincidence but he'd never had a text like that before. Wouldn't surprise me if individuals do that, times are tough.

specialsubject Mon 17-Feb-14 19:31:06

the NHS don't. The insurers do, and so do individuals.

just put the phone down.

youarewinning Mon 17-Feb-14 20:04:09

It's interesting others have had the same. It does make me think somewhere there has to be a link but it could be coincidence - we are a small minority of the population who just happen to be on a thread about it.

I'm still convinced that somehow there's a connection but believe it's not the NHS directly.

Mrsdavidcaruso Mon 17-Feb-14 20:13:27

Gin please look at my link and tell me what part of hscic you do not understand - thats from THEM it has their logo and their information its from their website - The link you posted is the public side

Look at the link again please www.hscic.gov.uk/media/12443/data-linkage-service-charges-2013-2014-updated/pdf/dles_service_charges__2013_14_V10_050913.pdf

It even has a link to their contact centre

So what they tell the public is not what they tell their 'customers' is it?

Mrsdavidcaruso Mon 17-Feb-14 20:14:39

Oh and gin yes they can access the records if they pay for it

Read my link and tell me I am wrong

ginmakesitallok Mon 17-Feb-14 20:47:03

you are wrong.

ginmakesitallok Mon 17-Feb-14 20:51:57

They charge for providing information. They provide that information within the constraints of the law. They will not sell any tom dick or harry personal information. What part of that don't YOU understand? ffs

As an analogy - somewhere there will be a price list for nuclear war heads - but you can't just go and buy one.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Mon 17-Feb-14 20:55:39

Isn't the patient identifiable data bit an nhs number/postcode so that they can link from different sets of data so their not counting the same patient twice? Or am I wrong about that? Not inconceivable that they could work out a name from NHS number or that someone could sell them a list of names and nhs numbers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now