Talk

Advanced search

In pondering what it would be like if mnhq couldn't or didn't delete threads?

(21 Posts)
DrNick Sun 16-Feb-14 09:16:33

Years ago they never did. Now it seems all it takes is a few professionally offended to complain and it's gone.

But what if they couldn't ?

DrNick Sun 16-Feb-14 09:20:43

N

Sparklingbrook Sun 16-Feb-14 09:26:59

Sometimes it would be a good thing. Lock it maybe and then everyone could see what knobs people can be.

prh47bridge Sun 16-Feb-14 09:27:59

If they couldn't delete threads they would have to fix their software quickly so that they could!

Deleting a thread protects them against being sued for libel based on comments made in the thread. The law gives Mumsnet 48 hours from receipt of a complaint to remove the offending comments. If they fail to do so they can be sued as well as the individual posters.

The damages for libel can be very high so there is a real possibility Mumsnet could have been forced out of business if they didn't remove threads.

DrNick Sun 16-Feb-14 09:29:11

How many are really that bad though?

Sparklingbrook Sun 16-Feb-14 09:32:57

I think libel has to be taken as a separate issue.

TaraLott Sun 16-Feb-14 09:37:48

Pity they don't delete the boring moany ones.

BankWadger Sun 16-Feb-14 09:38:38

Some troll threads have been pretty horrific yes. Deleting and never mentioning again are the only way to deal with those.

Sparklingbrook Sun 16-Feb-14 09:41:06

That's what the 'Hide the thread' function is for Tara.

BIWI Sun 16-Feb-14 09:44:06

Threads or posts? I don't think many threads get deleted, (unless it's obviously a troll) although lots of posts do - and I agree that it happens a lot more now. Definition of a personal attack seems to have changed. I also agree with Sparklingbrook that it says more about the poster when they post that way and, as long as the person being 'attacked' is OK with it, then I think the posts should say. (As long as they're not illegal, of course)

ForgettableTampon Sun 16-Feb-14 09:50:23

yes back in the day a whole-thread deletion was shock

I spose the site is evolving blah blah, back when all round 'ere was fields we just used to give the miscreant a bit of a kick* onthread and that was that

*not a pile in, I hasten to add

quirrelquarrel Sun 16-Feb-14 10:29:38

this about the thread yesterday night where people were getting all high and mighty about bitchy school girls and making fun of the OP of the texting thread?

I think prh47 is right about the libel for some threads. probably especially when it's about something that could offend their sponsors. but a lot of deletions are happening simply because MN doesn't like naughty children bunfighting, because it doesn't reflect well in the media and what people think of the site.

HanSolo Sun 16-Feb-14 10:36:52

Well DrNick, it's probably a good thing for you that MNHQ delete posts, isn't it? <cough>

grin

HanSolo Sun 16-Feb-14 10:38:00

Ah, threads, not posts... sorry <crawls back under duvet>

I am v ill you know!

ForgettableTampon Sun 16-Feb-14 10:39:57

Han sorry to hear you are poorlybad

BackOnlyBriefly Sun 16-Feb-14 10:40:54

I'm always saying that if people say things that are wrong then you want them to stay there for all to see along with 999 other posts explaining why that is wrong.

HanSolo Sun 16-Feb-14 10:41:56

I have been cheered by seeing your hilarious username! grin

I hope yours aren't too forgettable... could be a problem.

ForgettableTampon Sun 16-Feb-14 10:43:16

grin

LuckyDayInHell Sun 16-Feb-14 10:50:04

I do actually find it really irritating when threads/posts are deleted. We are adults (apparently) and I don't feel the need for mummy Mumsnet to shield me from the upsetting.
I've had people pile into me before in a different name - I disengaged- its the Internet, you can do that.
Although last night some troll posted 'is it ok for my husband to smack the children with a belt?' It was a 'joke' thread which quickly got deleted. I agree with that, as there is nothing funny about child abuse.

ZingSweetApple Sun 16-Feb-14 10:53:17

YANBU to ponder.

DrNick Sun 16-Feb-14 11:04:05

Lol Han

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now