Talk

Advanced search

xbox live

(17 Posts)
littledrummergirl Sat 15-Feb-14 23:22:04

Ds2 saved his pocket money to buy 1month xbox live at the beginning of December. We couldn't find it in the shops so reluctantly agreed to buy it online.
He was given 12months subscription for Xmas which we were going to use when the month expired.
Microsoft renewed the 1month subscription and has been doing so ever since. You can only cancel this by logging into the child account online.
I spent 6 hours today trying to do this! I can't access the child account as it has name and birthdate missing, I can't correct these as I can't get into the account.
I tried to cancel payments via xbox, it said it would if another payment method was used, entered code for 12month. It wouldn't cancel card, said to log in on pc.
Contacted community advisor who heard what the problem was and logged off. No explanation or help.
Tried to contact support but was waiting for ages and gave up on them. The website is pants, doesnt navigate well and has lunks to random adverts instead of where you think they are taking you.
To top it all Ds2 cannot log onto xbox live at all now.
AIBU to feel let down and angry with Microsoft over this?

RhondaJean Sat 15-Feb-14 23:23:53

Cancel the payment with the card you have it set up on, and start a new Xbox account for the 12 month card?

Not ideal at all but might work.

RhondaJean Sat 15-Feb-14 23:24:06

Oh YANBU btw.

littledrummergirl Sat 15-Feb-14 23:34:09

I thought about that but having used the 12month Im not sure it would carry over. I dont use the thing only Dcs so I had a crash course today.
Apparently they know about the fault they just dont seem to have made the repair easily accessible. Its been a very frustrating day and I think I will be tackling it again tomorrow sad

RhondaJean Sat 15-Feb-14 23:48:47

I would still cancel the payments on your card while you get it sorted, just in case.

MBT1987 Sat 15-Feb-14 23:51:11

Link to instructions on cancelling Xbox Live account auto-renewal.

Hope that's of use.

littledrummergirl Sun 16-Feb-14 00:00:58

Thanks MBT. Unfortunately it wont let me into the account in order to get to that screen. Frustrating isnt the word.
I appreciate the suggestion though.
Rhonda, the only way to cancel payment is to cancel the card but I might have to do that on Monday.
I just think that Microsoft of all people could have made it easy to do.

MBT1987 Sun 16-Feb-14 00:16:46

The Microsoft account should be the email address used. Either Hotmail or Windows Live - xxxxxxxxxxxxxx@(hotmail/live).(com/co.uk)*

*(Delete as applicable)

You can find the email address through the Xbox 360 itself - link to instructions for that here for adult accounts and here for child accounts. The password will have been set by whoever's in control of the account.

If DS doesn't remember his email address and password, then that's not really Microsoft's fault. They provide secret questions, alternate email address resets, and I think they've recently put in extra verification that texts you if you get locked out. There are many (and I mean MANY) prompts to set these up when you set up the email address, and every so often, another one pops up if you skipped them on setup. They're annoying as sin, but they're designed for this situation.

littledrummergirl Sun 16-Feb-14 00:25:26

We have his email account and the password. We then log in as the adult using the email and password and it sends us to a screen saying name needs verifying.
We cannot access the account to verify.
It doesnt give us the option of alternative accounts it just says to verify log into the account.
I wish it was as simple as a forgotten email address.
Its frustrating as there seems to be no way to access it from the adult account either.

MBT1987 Sun 16-Feb-14 00:30:05

Ah! That's a conundrum and a half! Apologies for misunderstanding. Best bet is to get on the phone to Xbox Support - number is 0800 587 1102.

You should be able to prove your identity using the bank card that paid for the Xbox Live Gold on DS' account. From there, they should be able to add in extra stuff like name, etc, so you don't have to go through this hassle in the future.

littledrummergirl Sun 16-Feb-14 00:39:04

Awesome. Thank you for the phone number. I will ring them tomorrow smile

treelorex Sun 16-Feb-14 08:16:11

I had the exact same problem - son had sold his xbox but the subscription amount was still coming out of my bank account each month. Tried to log in but as my ex has set up the account I didn't have enough details.
I rang the telephone number above and explained the problem and the guy said as it was my card the payment were coming out of he would be able to go into the account and cancel it even though I didn't have any log in details.
It was quickly canceled and he even managed to stop this months payment which was pending :-) result!!

StoorieHoose Sun 16-Feb-14 08:51:27

I had exactly the same problem. Ended up cancelling the card and the child account. It has you going in one big circle and so frustrating!

JulietBravoJuliet Sun 16-Feb-14 09:42:26

I had the same issue and ended up ringing them on Christmas Day! They were really good and got it sorted out ASAP smile

Nerfmother Sun 16-Feb-14 09:50:51

I hate Microsoft accounts. It's so tricky to navigate on the Xbox, you can't stop in app purchases (why!) and every so often it randomly decides to security check and locks me out til I remember which email account it's sent some code to.
Almost as bad as iTunes

honeybeeridiculous Sun 16-Feb-14 11:15:47

We had a problem in Dec with setting up x box live, went onto Microsoft website and were talked through on the screen step by step of what to do, very nice person, you type the problem, they type back etc etc, found it very helpful, halfway through she typed that she was off to get a glass of water grin she did come back tho!! Good luck OP

littledrummergirl Sun 16-Feb-14 15:17:31

Have just finished fixing the problem. Spent 3hours with a very nice person who sorted the issues. I didnt get a chance to say thank you to her though as chat finished.
Much happier with them today.smile
Thanks for all your suggestions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now