Talk

Advanced search

about DH calling breastfeeding "titty"?

(95 Posts)
ShadowFall Sat 15-Feb-14 13:48:31

DS2 (5 months) is breastfed.

When I talk about it to DS1/2, I call it milk, i.e.

"Would DS2 like some milk" or "DS2 is having his milk"

DH, on the other hand, insists on calling it titty. His usual response to me asking him to call it milk is to say "DS2 is having milk from the titty".

I am getting more and more annoyed about DH's refusal to stop calling it titty.

For starters, I call it milk because that's what DS2 is actually drinking, but more importantly, I really don't want DS1 to get it into his head that it's fine to use the term "titty" for DS2 breastfeeding. DS1 is only 2.5yrs old, and I don't want to be in the sitution where I'm trying to breastfeed DS2 discreetly in public, and have DS1 yelling "TITTY!" at the top of his voice.

DH thinks that I'm being ridiculously oversensitive about this. AIBU?

Polyethyl Sat 15-Feb-14 13:49:42

Yes I think you are being over sensitive.

Bluestocking Sat 15-Feb-14 13:49:45

YADNBU. Why is he so keen to use this awful word? Have you asked him?

landrover Sat 15-Feb-14 13:50:19

Thats awful, did he do the same with DS1? and if so what made him stop? You are definitely not unreasonable, and I'm amazed you've not told him to stfu!

HelloBoys Sat 15-Feb-14 13:51:07

Has your DH been watching one too many Little Britain episodes?!

Ignore him. Or just tell DH he won't be sucking on your titty anytime soon unless he changes the name for it. grin

Loopylouu Sat 15-Feb-14 13:51:07

I wouldn't like it at all.

Then again I got the rage when FIL asked me if I was going to 'tit feed'.

Shellywelly1973 Sat 15-Feb-14 13:51:58

My baby is 12 days old so I'm not sure about anything but I think YANBU!

Titty? Ff's! Dh is a grown man not a silly little school boy...

HelloBoys Sat 15-Feb-14 13:52:08

Loopy - I wouldn't like it either.

Your FIL, FFS?! I would certainly have got the rage and asked if he had any erectile dysfunction problems... grin

MrsDeVere Sat 15-Feb-14 13:52:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EduCated Sat 15-Feb-14 13:52:29

YANBU. You're the one doing it, so I think m you should guide what it's called. Also surely everyone just associates titty with those awful Little Britain sketches. Why would you want that? confused

WildThong Sat 15-Feb-14 13:52:40

So disrespectful. That would give me the rage too. YADNBU

shallweshop Sat 15-Feb-14 13:53:13

YANBU - it's a horrible term to use and I can understand you not wanting your 2 year old to start saying it.

wizzler Sat 15-Feb-14 13:53:30

YANBU.... No excuse for it

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Sat 15-Feb-14 13:53:35

Is it because he is focused on the breast rather than the function of a breast?

MrsBungle Sat 15-Feb-14 13:54:03

Geez you're not being over-sensitive at all. I'd hate that.

He's being an arsehole. Even more so when you consider that you've already asked him to stop and he's continuing.

Start calling him 'tiny penis' repeatedly, see how he likes it.

Thetallesttower Sat 15-Feb-14 13:55:07

There's no need to say anything at all, if asked where my dd2 was, my husband would say 'having a feed'. No need to say anything you find offensive, upsetting, nothing. He's doing this on purpose to wind you up.

natwebb79 Sat 15-Feb-14 13:55:36

I'd hate it and it's nothing to do with Little Britain as they use the word 'bitty'. Does he really not realise that it's not ok to teach a 2 year old the word 'titty'?!

CSIJanner Sat 15-Feb-14 13:55:37

YANBU - does your husband think it will be funny when DS1 points to another BF mum out and about, shouting titty? Because it will you both as parents being judged if he does.

That also goes for using bitty, jugs, boobie juices and tit-juice.

ItitwrongtofancyHarryStyles Sat 15-Feb-14 13:55:58

I'm not easily offended by that is a revolting term for breast feeding. Just horrible. If this is real (hmm) then I'd tell him to stop immediately or you will call him Titty forevermore.

MrsCakesPremonition Sat 15-Feb-14 13:56:21

It's a horrible word. He is BU using it. He is being even more unreasonable continuing to use it after you have asked him not to.

HelloBoys Sat 15-Feb-14 13:56:22

OP - you could mention to your DH precisely the reason you don't want the word used as your DS1 may use it in public and like you say not correctly. Also say it could offend others (as well as you). If your DH can't see the reasoning behind that he's being a bit dim/insensitive.

ShadowFall Sat 15-Feb-14 13:56:40

We didn't manage to get breastfeeding established with DS1, so this wasn't an issue with him. And 'titty' isn't a regional thing where we live either.

I didn't watch Little Britain when it was on, so I don't know the sketches referred to. But I'm pretty sure I can remember DH watching Little Britain, now that it's been mentioned.

SomewhatSilly Sat 15-Feb-14 13:56:48

Eww. I must confess to calling it booby myself, but a) they're my boobs and b) it's nicer than titty. Yuck.

PurpleRayne Sat 15-Feb-14 13:56:52

What is he, 12?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now